If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can I Disable This?

Answers

• david1802david1802 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@thomsilbaugh said:
    Add me to the list of people that DON'T WANT NEWS ON MY PLEX !!!!!!!!!

+1
    Have young children with tablets/plex with strict content permission on what they acces on the server. Thank you for giving them unrestricted news access. Im sure most of the news content wont be suitable for minors!!

• AratridesAratrides Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2017

@jimmolinaro said:
    I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DISABLE IT, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    I hate this feature/nonsense/bug whatever it is. And I want to get rid of it ASAP!
    I'm from germany and the news are not even in my language. But this doesn't matter: I d o n t w a n t i t.
    Even if the Plex team is removing it today, its to late.

Whats will be the next awesame feature? Interrupting my movies for some important "consumer informations"?

• darozdaroz Posts: 65Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1
    Also want this off. I didn't ask for it, and I don't want it. I use my media server to AVOID the news, not have it thrown in my face.

• brucethevideobugbrucethevideobug Posts: 202Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really don't get the outrage about this. Are plex user unusually apathetic or something? There may well be ads soon in the feed, but I see that as par for the course in most online businesses.

• nhand42nhand42 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Newscast feature is horrific. What the hell were they thinking. I'm dumping Plex and moving to Emby.

• LammeN3rdLammeN3rd Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@brucethevideobug said:
    I really don't get the outrage about this. Are plex user unusually apathetic or something? There may well be ads soon in the feed, but I see that as par for the course in most online businesses.

Its not that Plex is adding new features that's fine, and you won't hear me about development time and choices that plex makes. something that is a big deal for me might not be for someone else.

However adding something like News to my private media server without an option to disable is not the way I like to be treated. I feel this is not much to ask, if they can turn a feature on with a flick of a switch I should be able to get a switch to turn it of!

• dajoey@gmail.comdajoey@gmail.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Dion250 said:
    Please add ability to disable via media server..

This **** needs to get off of my TV unless I put it there. Who thought this was a good idea?

• LeaderUltraMagnusLeaderUltraMagnus Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2017

How the heck am I suppose to block offensive content (CNN)!!!
    OR
    Disable this crap altogether!

Don't get me started on the AUTOPLAY, that's a terrible idea...!

Work with is us a little bit here, taking away user control is going to force Lifetime users like me to question my commitment to Plex.

• wally007wally007 Posts: 1,266Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@brucethevideobug said:

You dont get the outrage that someone installed a feature on your own server/client without giving you ability to turn it off ?

Then I guess you have dozens of tool bars in your browser and you dont mind.. correct ?

I've been using OSxBMC/Plex since elan ported original XBMC to Mac decade ago but with privacy crap and this News they've made it impossible to recommend it to anyone anymore.

• LaurehLaureh Posts: 3Members

I use plex to access my own media library. I was shocked to find this feature suddenly show up and even more shocked to find there is no way to turn it off. I don't want plex news. Looking into emby now. Bad decision plex.

• Frank LoganFrank Logan Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2017

@elan; do you know who has auto-play materal? Free apps, you chose not to pay for. News may not be ads, but perhaps Plex is getting kickbacks from plays or views. Maybe this is a great way for revenue for non-pass holders, but it's a slap in the face for paying monthly, or paid lifetime pass holders. There is also the fact that many users are in different countries, have different political views, and may not want to watch what Plex feels is good for them. Maybe Plex can leave the 1984 thought indoctrination camps to Google and Facebook. People use your program/app to watch their own media, it's not what I want, or would use to educate myself on world/current events. Using your home theatre is a way to escape what is going on around you, not drown in it.

Please reconsider Plex's use of this feature.

Frank

edit... @BigWheel

2012 Samsung HT-E6730W Home Theater
    2012 Samsung UN46ES8000F TV, with attached 2014 Samsung Evolution Kit SEK-2000
    2015 Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6
    Kangaroo PC Pro, Windows 10, Plex Media Server, with 2TB Seagate HDD

• oviziiovizii Posts: 31Members ✭✭

Just wanted to add another voice to this thread: I don't want news especially not on top of the menu where HOME used to be.

• Colt45+UKColt45+UK Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

PlexPass should have the option to disable it.
    Non-PlexPass will have news permanently? (fill ADS or whatever, I don't care!)

Now, because I'm PlexPass - I'm not happy that you've ruined it - it's an eye sore and that news doesn't even have SUBTITLES - so it's a twice worse for me now :(

Plex : Please fix this ASAP as I expected to be 100% controllable by me, not Plex meddling around with my setup!

Thanks

I'm Deaf, and English is not my main language :)

• nerdshowandtellnerdshowandtell Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah, this news thing is a waste of development resources and not what I was thinking of when getting Plex pass.

• ghostcorpsghostcorps Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2017

@bantoot said:
    Going to sorry I asked this, but why are the posters so upset that this is news in now on Plex?

For me it is not so much the presence of a news channel, I'd like to clean up my UI if possible but my issue is much more immediate. The news stream actually opens whenever I exit a Live TV stream to watch something else or, if I watch one channel for more than a couple minutes it interrupts my TV stream and I have to go back to home and restart the stream to get away. I believe this is called a 'promotional feature' ...

• schanyaschanya Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's not a major inconvenience, but I would think PlexPass users would at least have the option to disable it.

• darozdaroz Posts: 65Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The problem is it's totally inappropriate for kids.

• stefanvanruitenstefanvanruiten Posts: 304Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@daroz said:
    The problem is it's totally inappropriate for kids.

For me the problem is that for my use case and in my opinion this news mess is a total waste of plex pass subscription money which would have been better spend at fixing pmp, pfk, plex music, subtitles, etc.

There's enough half baked, semi done and somewhat abandoned plex products as it is...

• Dion250Dion250 Posts: 169Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So the million dollar question. We will ever have an option to op-out of this feature and disable it as a library?