If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can I Disable This?

Answers

• nomadmannomadman Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I want to get away and relax and now I see that @$$hat Trump plastered on a single row of my plex server? This is pathetic! If I want to be depressed about how many people are dying around world, I'll search for it on YouTube THANK YOU! The last thing i was to see is news when i'm on my HT interface! Give us an option to remove this cr@p.

PLEASE

• stefanvanruitenstefanvanruiten Posts: 304Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any ETA on the disable feature perhaps @BigWheel ? I read that it was coming soon in an hotfix update. I've received an update this week but it didn't introduce this feature alas, although on Android it did get moved down the list at least, I'm still looking forward to the off switch myself.

Thanks, Stefan.

• GOODINBLUEGOODINBLUE Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2017

I have the same question, how to remove Plex News. I could have installed it via a Channel....which is optional. I use Plex to watch MY media, on MY server...I don't want news
    ************* Remove Plex News****************

• donyzzdonyzz Posts: 160Members ✭✭

They said there will be an update to disable the news on the dashboard. The problem is they said this weeks ago and still no update.

@stefanvanruiten said:
    Any ETA on the disable feature perhaps @BigWheel ? I read that it was coming soon in an hotfix update. I've received an update this week but it didn't introduce this feature alas, although on Android it did get moved down the list at least, I'm still looking forward to the off switch myself.

Thanks, Stefan.

So ... Any word on this perhaps @bigwheel? Was hoping for more feedback after the earlier silence regarding the privacy policy.

• Frank LoganFrank Logan Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@donyzz said:
    They said there will be an update to disable the news on the dashboard. The problem is they said this weeks ago and still no update.

... maybe hoping it would go away?

2012 Samsung HT-E6730W Home Theater
    2012 Samsung UN46ES8000F TV, with attached 2014 Samsung Evolution Kit SEK-2000
    2015 Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6
    Kangaroo PC Pro, Windows 10, Plex Media Server, with 2TB Seagate HDD

• steerpike999steerpike999 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1, Don't want "NEWS" (laughable name given the **** content). Where is the ability to turn it off?
    If I want this sort of content I just swith over to the YOUTUBE app.

How about spending time on fixing things instead of introducing "features".

• donyzzdonyzz Posts: 160Members ✭✭

@Frank Logan said:

@donyzz said:

... maybe hoping it would go away?

Yes it appears that way. Another week goes by and nothing. Plex devs seem to have stop responding to posts as well.

@stefanvanruiten said:

@stefanvanruiten said:

Thanks, Stefan.

So ... Any word on this perhaps @bigwheel? Was hoping for more feedback after the earlier silence regarding the privacy policy.

It seems that unfortunately @BigWheel is adhering to the official plex communication strategy currently, perhaps @kinoCharlino can provide us with an update?

Thanks stefan

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,449Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We haven't posted because there is no news yet to share. The functionality request is sitting with engineering (along with other things, of course) and we don't have an ETA.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

@kinoCharlino , maybe while the engineers are working on that, any the host of bugs; which seem to be many based a quick look at top posts from the many forum sections and threads; maybe the "Plex Future Planning Board" can learn from this. No one asked for this... this is supposed to be HTPC software for managing and playing personal media.

Between this, and gathering data from users, it's been been a bit of a "bad press" few months. There are long time members openly talking about dropping Plex, and many who have. The "other guys", keep getting free press. With those posts, and the volume of bug, error, and general complaints, including the lack of promt and honost/vauge customer support; would a Plex employee, if this was another products site, use, buy or support the product?

This was, and is supposed to be software that was made by home theater enthousiasts. Do you like software that collects data on you? Do you like a general lack of customer support as highlighted above?

If you or anyone on the Plex Team, feels that this is harsh, you need to find out who is steering your ship, as you're headed for an iceburg.

• Luc.Luc. Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Fortunately it's apparently deactivated for my main account on my AndroidTV, however it's on for my kid's account. How can I turn that off? I don't want my child to be exposed to this.
    Thank you.

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,449Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited November 2017

At last, I have some news for you all. We're pushing to add the ability to manually disable/enable News on a per-account basis via Plex Web in the next web release. It's considered a blocker for that release, which means if its not ready, the update won't ship. We're shooting for a release by the end of this month or sooner, but could slip a little if more time is needed for the release work to be finished. Thank you for your patience.

@kinoCharlino said:
    At last, I have some news for you all. We're pushing to add the ability to manually disable/enable News on a per-account basis via Plex Web in the next web release. It's considered a blocker for that release, which means if its not ready, the update won't ship. We're shooting for a release by the end of this month or sooner, but could slip a little if more time is needed for the release work to be finished. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks for the update. Per account does that mean I have to manually disable it on my families accounts and hope they don't turn it on again or can I disable it for my entire setup as the master user (and paying user). Wouldn’t it make more sense to disable it on a server level or something? I don't want anyone in my household to see the news preferably.

Great to see progress and get an update.

@stefanvanruiten said:
    Thanks for the update. Per account does that mean I have to manually disable it on my families accounts and hope they don't turn it on again or can I disable it for my entire setup as the master user (and paying user). Wouldn’t it make more sense to disable it on a server level or something? I don't want anyone in my household to see the news preferably.

News doesn't have anything to do with your PMS, as in it's not tied to it. News as a service is tied to the Plex account. The functionality is subject to change (since it's not released yet), but what we're going for is to have the Plex Home admin be able to control whether Managed Users get access to News. If you have members of your family on entirely separate Plex accounts, and not as Managed Users, then each account will need to have the box unchecked in Plex Web.

• wally007wally007 Posts: 1,266Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kinoCharlino said:

@stefanvanruiten said:

News doesn't have anything to do with your PMS, as in it's not tied to it. News as a service is tied to the Plex account. The functionality is subject to change (since it's not released yet), but what we're going for is to have the Plex Home admin be able to control whether Managed Users get access to News. If you have members of your family on entirely separate Plex accounts, and not as Managed Users, then each account will need to have the box unchecked in Plex Web.

And if I'm not using Plex Home and only use single admin account for the whole family ? Can I still disable it ?

@wally007 said:
    And if I'm not using Plex Home and only use single admin account for the whole family ? Can I still disable it ?

Yes, you will be able to. The option will be available for all Plex accounts.

So we're two months in by this weekend, still no sign of the "off" switch?! It can't be that hard to roll out a feature toggle right?

Or is this a waiting period to see if opinions change before releasing this feature?

Busy with fixing other things I guess?

@Frank Logan said:
    Busy with fixing other things I guess?

Perhaps :), although they could squeezed inn this bug fix as well perhaps. Those are server fixes though and the news isn't server related at all, so different team. PMP, PHT PFK haven't had as many updates as PMS alas.

I personally stopped updating PMS after 1.9.0, the last version before the new privacy policy so won't profit from these unfortunately.