If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can I Disable This?

1235»

Answers

• HitsVilleHitsVille Posts: 545Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah it really is time we stopped getting bull-****.
    What can be forced upon us overnight.... takes how many months to roll back?

I wouldn't even mind if the News service even worked. I actually set News to UK region only.
    Two out of the 40 items relate to the UK. So having changed to world news, it seems the BBC, ITV and SKY news have it wrong and absolutely nothing happened in London today. Maybe in Plexland i will hear about it later next week.
    So many dumb categories, but no "Breaking News"
    oh wait a 7 hour old American feed about Tamagotchi.... relevant after all.

HitsVille

• Frank LoganFrank Logan Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@HitsVille said:
    ... Tamagotchi.... relevant after all.

I missed that story. Tamagotchi... very relevant

2012 Samsung HT-E6730W Home Theater
    2012 Samsung UN46ES8000F TV, with attached 2014 Samsung Evolution Kit SEK-2000
    2015 Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6
    Kangaroo PC Pro, Windows 10, Plex Media Server, with 2TB Seagate HDD

@stefanvanruiten said:

@Frank Logan said:
    Busy with fixing other things I guess?

Perhaps :), although they could squeezed inn this bug fix as well perhaps. Those are server fixes though and the news isn't server related at all, so different team. PMP, PHT PFK haven't had as many updates as PMS alas.

I personally stopped updating PMS after 1.9.0, the last version before the new privacy policy so won't profit from these unfortunately.

Just being scarcastic... ;)

• HitsVilleHitsVille Posts: 545Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2017

@Frank Logan said:

@HitsVille said:
    ... Tamagotchi.... relevant after all.

I missed that story. Tamagotchi... very relevant

Change your NEWS settings to anything as unrelated as possible, make sure your region is anything but U.S or Japenese. You should be "Golden" then. :)

HitsVille

• Allan CameronAllan Cameron Posts: 515Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2017

Thanks for adding another (useless) Library to my home screen. Just love how you think you can decide what libraries i should have in my collection. You know, this pisses me off enough at some point i will stop using plex if this news crap can not be turned off. There are plenty of other ways i can watch my local content, some witch i already use. Get your head of of your butt plex, quit trying to be something you are not and forcing your stupid decisions on everyone. Let us turn this crap OFF!

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,449Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@stefanvanruiten said:
    So we're two months in by this weekend, still no sign of the "off" switch?! It can't be that hard to roll out a feature toggle right?

Or is this a waiting period to see if opinions change before releasing this feature?

This feature request, along with the tools for managing online content, are coming this week. Earlier rather than later, as long as nothing gets delayed.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• darozdaroz Posts: 65Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can't be fast enough - found my kid hearing a news report about a local rape. Wife not happy w/ ensuing conversation.

edited November 2017

@kinoCharlino said:

@stefanvanruiten said:
    So we're two months in by this weekend, still no sign of the "off" switch?! It can't be that hard to roll out a feature toggle right?

Or is this a waiting period to see if opinions change before releasing this feature?

This feature request, along with the tools for managing online content, are coming this week. Earlier rather than later, as long as nothing gets delayed.

@kinoCharlino Hint... the off button for a not requested feature, should not be called a "feature request". This is a "home theater/media server" program right?

Take that message back to your Overlords, will you... no one seems to be listening.

Thanks

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,449Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited November 2017

Managing Access to Plex News has gone live

I’m excited to share with you all that the ability to enable and disable Plex News has arrived today. Access to Plex News is now controlled at an account-level basis. If you choose to enable or disable News, then that will apply to all Plex apps signed in to the same Plex account. The only exception to this is that the admin of a Plex Home can control general News availability for Managed Users in the Plex Home, too. (Managed Users cannot control their own News availability.) If you choose to disable News for an account, then it will not appear anywhere in Plex apps associated with that account.

You can access the setting under Account > Online Media Sources when signed in to the hosted Plex Web App with the account in question. When editing the setting, the available choices are:

• Enabled: News will be available for the current account (and any Managed Users in a Plex Home the account administers)
    • Disabled: News will not appear anywhere in apps for the current account (nor will it appear for any Managed Users in a Plex Home the account administers)
    • Disabled for Managed Users: News will be available for the current account but will not appear for any Managed Users in a Plex Home the account administers (default selection)

Notes:
    You may have to restart your Plex app or switch between users to see changes to this setting take effect.
    The account setting is currently in the hosted web app only, until the bundled app is updated.

• MonstroMonstro Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you for the update, kinoCharlino. I can confirm that the News section no longer appears on my Roku after setting my account to Disabled. (It appears the default setting is Disabled for Managed Users.)

@Monstro said:
    Thank you for the update, kinoCharlino. I can confirm that the News section no longer appears on my Roku after setting my account to Disabled. (It appears the default setting is Disabled for Managed Users.)

Glad to hear its working as expected. Yeah, the default is Disabled for Managed Users which means it will be enabled for the account admin, but disabled for their managed users. For those that don't wish to use this feature or make it visible in their Plex apps, disabling for everyone is now a quick task with just one drop-down to select.

• markcurrancavanmarkcurrancavan Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Mmmm, not seeing the Online Media Sources option on my web app. Tried restarting plex, logout/login again and clearing browser cache but still not there. I'm also on the latest server build... maybe it takes time to enable on accounts ?

@markcurrancavan said:
    Mmmm, not seeing the Online Media Sources option on my web app. Tried restarting plex, logout/login again and clearing browser cache but still not there. I'm also on the latest server build... maybe it takes time to enable on accounts ?

Try this direct link: https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account/online-media-sources

You do have to use the hosted Plex Web app until the bundled version is updated. It's an account setting, accessible by clicking on your profile picture in the upper right corner. From there, click Account, and lastly click Online Media Sources from the menu on the left.

• markcurrancavanmarkcurrancavan Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Epic, thanks. I was using localhost and not app.plex.tv to access the web app and once I used that I could finally disable this unwanted feature.

I'm back to being a happy plex user again :smiley:

• jrcorwinjrcorwin Posts: 183Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kinoCharlino said:

Managing Access to Plex News has gone live

I’m excited to share with you all that the ability to enable and disable Plex News has arrived today. Access to Plex News is now controlled at an account-level basis. If you choose to enable or disable News, then that will apply to all Plex apps signed in to the same Plex account. The only exception to this is that the admin of a Plex Home can control general News availability for Managed Users in the Plex Home, too. (Managed Users cannot control their own News availability.) If you choose to disable News for an account, then it will not appear anywhere in Plex apps associated with that account.

You can access the setting under Account > Online Media Sources when signed in to the hosted Plex Web App with the account in question. When editing the setting, the available choices are:

• Enabled: News will be available for the current account (and any Managed Users in a Plex Home the account administers)
    • Disabled: News will not appear anywhere in apps for the current account (nor will it appear for any Managed Users in a Plex Home the account administers)
    • Disabled for Managed Users: News will be available for the current account but will not appear for any Managed Users in a Plex Home the account administers (default selection)

Notes:
    You may have to restart your Plex app or switch between users to see changes to this setting take effect.
    The account setting is currently in the hosted web app only, until the bundled app is updated.

It's about time. How much time and resources were wasted on this?

@jrcorwin said:

I wouldn't consider it a waste. Judging by usage reports (which are in aggregate), we can see News has a solid viewership and growing. Now the choice is yours whether or not you want it to be visible in Plex.

• stefanvanruitenstefanvanruiten Posts: 304Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

@kinoCharlino said:
    I wouldn't consider it a waste. Judging by usage reports (which are in aggregate), we can see News has a solid viewership and growing. Now the choice is yours whether or not you want it to be visible in Plex.

I think waste is a strong and opinionated word in this regard, but for me the aggregate users is not all that relevan either. I don't mind that people like it, although I don't understand watching US based ad filled content myself.

For me personally I feel that it's a shame that part of my money as a loyal Plex customer went to purchasing and integrating watchup; in a manner of speaking.

Instead of using it towards developing a decent htpc client or Linux support, etc. instead.

• taz420njtaz420nj Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kinoCharlino said:

@jrcorwin said:

Those of us that have been patiently waiting for other things to be implemented - things that are considered CORE FUNCTIONALITY, such as "Run As A Service" - do consider it a waste. The developers seem to be far more interested in silly pet projects than giving us what we - THE PAYING CUSTOMERS - ask for.

• per_PLEX_edper_PLEX_ed Posts: 580Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank heavens It's removable. It wasn't so bad once it got moved to the bottom of the Android menu, but it's even better entirely gone. Big relief, Plex is for entertainment, we get our news from elsewhere.

Tutorial:

How to create an infinite Plex media server using a VPS and Cloud service
    My VPS: SSD Nodes - KVM / X-Large. Specs: 16GB RAM * 80GB SSD * 8TB transfer * 4-core processor

• wally007wally007 Posts: 1,266Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

@taz420nj said:

@kinoCharlino said:

@jrcorwin said:

Those of us that have been patiently waiting for other things to be implemented - things that are considered CORE FUNCTIONALITY, such as "Run As A Service" - do consider it a waste. The developers seem to be far more interested in silly pet projects than giving us what we - THE PAYING CUSTOMERS - ask for.

You are already paying ... this stuff is to get more people paying.
    I do wish they would finish one feature before moving onto the next one but apparently that is not what pays the bills.

1235»