If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why is Plex Media Player now a second rate citizen?

brettukbrettuk Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi All,

This is something that's been bothering me for a while. All these new features coming out, Live TV, News - and yet Plex Media Player always seems to be a second rate citizen. We're still waiting for Live TV and it's been out months. Plex Media Player is supposed to be the flagship experience - I built a computer especially so I could run the flagship experience, and I think it used to be, but it seems like it's getting less and less attention over the past months.

It's rather frustrating.

Answers

• chrisbarrettchrisbarrett Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2017

I agree. I for one am also fed up with all the new features being added when there are so many bugs PlexPass users have been yelling about for years and just being ignored.

With the News addition Plex Devs have once again bitten off more than they can chew. They need to step back and concentrate on fixing PMP and the current tool set. All these new features although awesome are just adding to the bugs and frustration.

I said as much on the new Blog post but the moderators didn't approve of the negative comment and removed it.

• brettukbrettuk Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2017

Agreed. The live dvr stuff needs more work. Don't get me wrong I like it, but it's not 100% reliable at the moment, there's no grid view, there's no live TV on plex media player. I feel like they need to slow down and get dvr/live fully completed before releasing another feature that will take months to come to PMP. In fact, and I'm saying this as friendly criticism, a lot of stuff plex has done recently feels rushed out. The alexa integration for example, great idea, but it's incredibly slow to use, almost as if their servers can't take the strain.

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 431Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The Devs can't fix those bugs ... they need to implement all those new data gathering functions! That's much, much, much more important under the new management.

• arionlarionl Posts: 110Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also kind of annoyed that when PMP is updated, it's always Windows and Mac first. The only PMP installs I have are embedded. For my Macs and Windows boxes I can always just use the web client.. My embedded PMP's are hooked up to TVs -- they are my HTPCs -- and that's where I want the full PMP experience..

• geofbuckgeofbuck Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass, Plex Pro Installer Plex Pass

I agree, where are my features for PMP on my Mac HTPC? The last update caused weird tearing on the menu screens and intermittent blank screens as well. I feel left out.... I miss Plex Home Theatre it was more reliable!