If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex has Forsaken the Xbox One

seththetechseththetech Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex does not and will not support the Xbox platform. As there seems to be a lack of clarity on this issue I'm providing clarity here.

If the Xbox platform was at all a priority for Plex they would support it. They do not. If you wish to use Plex on a supported client please choose a platform such as Android or Roku.

As the Plex business grows and it's ecosystem matures hopefully they will make a change to adpot a 'grown up' approach to road mapping and customer communication rather then simply abandoning platforms with tens of millions of users and never letting anyone know what's going on with them. You're not a young little startup anymore Plex, it may be time to consider acting like a big boy now.

Answers

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,666Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

well, from the News blog:

Emilio Mod morpheus2n2 • an hour ago
    An update for Xbox One is coming very soon

I believe it when I see it. The xbox app is probably one of the worst Plex apps out there, together with the Windows Store app.

• aleclunsfordaleclunsford Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

God I hope so the Xbox app has so many unresolved bugs. My only concern is they are going to use the terrible UI from the FireTV.

• Bartlomiej BaraniecBartlomiej Baraniec Posts: 1,949Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, Plex for XBOX needs some serious work. Especially if you have few users using same console.
    I was very eager to use Plex for XBOX, gave up that idea after 30 minutes.

• TheCli3ntTheCli3nt Posts: 66Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been using the Xbox One app since I started using Plex. Other than not having a search feature and the Netflix like preview/auto-play when binge watching that is on my girlfriend's Roku Express, I actually prefer the Xbox One app.

That's not an endorsement of the lack of support for the Xbox One app by any means. It DOES need work and I would love to see Plex open up development to Xbox developers (I can't be the only one here).

Jay "The Cli3nt" Bishop
    Father, Geek, Gamer, Bleeder
    Blogger
    TheCli3nt.com
    jay@thecli3nt.com

Plex Media Server:

Hardware:
    * Server 1:
    -- Intel Core i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4, 4GB DDR3, Root: 500GB, Media: 21.5TB OS: Ubuntu 16.04.1 64-bit

• Server 2:
      -- AMD FX-8320 @ 3.5GHz × 8, 16GB DDR3, Root: 1TB, Media: 12.6TB, OS: Ubuntu 17.04 64-bit

Clients:
    -- PlayStation 3 & 4
    -- Xbox 360 & One
    -- Roku Stick, Express+, 3 and Premiere
    -- Windows 10 PC (Windows 10 Plex app and Chrome web browser)
    -- Android Tablets & Phones

• KoolFir3KoolFir3 Posts: 2Members

I am using Plex App on XBox One S from quite some time. Apart from forced transcoding when playing 4K videos (and hence choppy playback - regardless of how powerful PMS is) I haven't come across any major issues with Plex XBox One App.

XPlay app (unofficial Plex player) for my LG OLED TV is a workaround to this issue however I'd love to see this issue fixed in next update. Does anyone know changelog for update?

@KoolFir3 said:

"Apart from forced transcoding when playing 4K videos"

You do realize the S only supports 4K from Blu-ray, Netflix, and YouTube right?

Jay "The Cli3nt" Bishop
    Blogger
    TheCli3nt.com
    jay@thecli3nt.com

Plex Media Server:

Hardware:
    * Server 1:
    -- Intel Core i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4, 4GB DDR3, Root: 500GB, Media: 21.5TB OS: Ubuntu 16.04.1 64-bit

• Server 2:
      -- AMD FX-8320 @ 3.5GHz × 8, 16GB DDR3, Root: 1TB, Media: 12.6TB, OS: Ubuntu 17.04 64-bit

Clients:
    -- PlayStation 3 & 4
    -- Xbox 360 & One

• taylorbournetaylorbourne Posts: 7Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@TheCli3nt said:
    I have been using the Xbox One app since I started using Plex. Other than not having a search feature and the Netflix like preview/auto-play when binge watching that is on my girlfriend's Roku Express, I actually prefer the Xbox One app.

This is possible, I figured it out by chance the other day. When you get to the shows landing page, start playback with the season you want to binge watch selected rather than clicking through to the season and playing from the first unwatched title. Gotta be careful though, it starts up the next episode with no warning!

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,985Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@TheCli3nt said:

@KoolFir3 said:

"Apart from forced transcoding when playing 4K videos"

You do realize the S only supports 4K from Blu-ray, Netflix, and YouTube right?

Both the Xbox one and Xbox One S support direct play of HEVC 4K material. The difference is that the Xbox One will only output 1080p while the S can output the 2160p.

The keyword is direct play, if any transcoded is needed though ranging from subtitles to invalid audio codec the material then needs to be converted down to 1080p material. But if you have a 4K video file encoded in HEVC, no subtitles selected, with playable audio (AAC/AC3) then either Xbox should play it via direct play. There is a few different things that need to happen before this limitation can be fixed. (IE soft subtitles, fix to the h264 4K decoding, audio passthrough suppot) etc

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,428Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• misfit_noelmisfit_noel Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Great!!! Will it Auto Update or do we have to manually download it?

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,428Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@misfit_noel said:
    Great!!! Will it Auto Update or do we have to manually download it?

It will roll out automatically over the coming days, but you can install it manually by searching for the 'Plex for Xbox One' app in the store.

• ShaGeShaGe Posts: 85Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

New app who dis? B)

@ShaGe said:
    New app who dis? B)

Yep! Xbox One gets love, and will continue to do so in v2. Stay tuned for more :)

• ShaGeShaGe Posts: 85Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No Atmos support?

@ShaGe said:
    No Atmos support?

Not yet, but we are investigating adding Dolby Atmos support.

• mcrommertmcrommert Posts: 456Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So now that it's out... Did the delay have to do with uwp apps on Xbox getting huge amounts of new resources in 1709 (update that just launched)

PMS: Windows 10 1703 - ASROCK H77 - 28tb pool Stablebit Drivepool & 10tb Google Drive Stablebit Clouddrive
    Main: Kodi (Current Version) with Plex Addon - Bedroom: Roku 3

Also: Chromecast, iPad Mini +, 2x Android Moto G4, OnePlus Three

7Db19DZ.png mcrommert
  • jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,985Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@mcrommert said:
    So now that it's out... Did the delay have to do with uwp apps on Xbox getting huge amounts of new resources in 1709 (update that just launched)

One of the major things that update addressed was a major memory leak that was periodically crashing the app. This wasn't the only reason for the delay, but once the issue was identified it did put a hold any type of release until it could be addressed.

@mcrommert said:

I've asked an engineer to pop in and provide some perspective on this.

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,666Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

and if it's an UWP app, will Windows 10 see some loving too? Just when I was ready to move to Emby, you pull this one out of the bag :)

Great to know the memory leak was fixed, but this new UI ... craptastic IMHO

Jay "The Cli3nt" Bishop
    Blogger
    TheCli3nt.com
    jay@thecli3nt.com

Plex Media Server:

Hardware:
    * Server 1:

• Server 2:

Clients:
    -- PlayStation 3 & 4
    -- Xbox 360 & One