If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Fire TV 4K - DTS

MrGobzMrGobz Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 26 in Android TV & Amazon Fire TV

Hello,

Hoping someone has a simple answer for this as I’m getting conflicted answers. Does the Fire TV allow DTS passthrough? I have a shield and it plays everything I throw at it and all direct play, but have another room and can’t justify another shield. It will be fire TV in to AV Reciever, into TV. Also if I had a DTS-HD/Dolby-HD track, will it downscale this to a normal DTS/Dolby? All of this direct play I might add.

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• MrGobzMrGobz Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone?????

• aiononaionon Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Works on mine, as long as I use HDMI. Goes to stereo if you try to use something else.

• maiademaiade Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@MrGobz The amazon fire TV spec is here https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications.html
    No DTS but it does now do Dolby Atmos in the 3rd gen. You can get 5.1 output with DTS but it will behave been transcoded to PCM by the server. Personally I am still having problems getting the AC3 5.1 to passthrough it is all stereo. Personally if I were you I would think about a chromecast as it should be cheaper. The only things I know of that do give DTS passthrough, a PC with an HDMI graphics card, or a shield.

People say that plex on kodi on a fire tv can work but that depends on the version of kodi and the use of a hack that is not 100% with all AV Recievers and has been known to cause problems.