If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Feature Request: Disable "News" from the dashboard

wheatismwheatism Posts: 83Members ✭✭✭

I do not want to see "News" on my Dashboard, I would like to be able to remove it.

With "News", Plex have introduced another feature that I have not seen one request for in the forums, and yet they ignore feature requests from paying customers that have hundreds of votes. This is not a sign of a software provider listening to their customers.

Therefore, as a parting gift from me to Plex (I am now ending my subscription and moving to Emby) I have raised this feature request to remove "News" from our dashboards. For the few that want it, if any, it should at the the least be possible to disable it and not have it show up in our media collections or dashboards.

Tagged:

Answers

• stefanvanruitenstefanvanruiten Posts: 280Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 26

It's probably not gonna happen, they're using it for data mining I'm sure plus advertisement income. They do have make a profit out of the millions they spend on watchup.

Great that they're putting in way above all else like my own personal media. Jay for NewPlex.

• DiaruemnusDiaruemnus Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This really needs off the dashboard and requires an option to be disabled.

• SteveMcNallySteveMcNally Posts: 324Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have to be able to get rid of it. No idea what they are thinking with this nonsense.

• SubNoizeySubNoizey Posts: 77Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

They need to allow us to disable it. +1

• adamstewiegreenadamstewiegreen Posts: 89Members ✭✭

@Megillus said:

It sounds silly, but it really hurts the overall experience.

Not silly at all. This is a complete 180 degree turn from what Plex is meant to be. It's different from live tv because live tv is an extention of their DVR functionality which is getting the content the user wants.

This is different. This isn't a live tv extention, it's YouTube era fluff news from news sources who traffic in populist thought and mediocre journalism. It's for people who have 5 minute attention spans and only want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them.

This is Plex bowing to their investor overlords.

And if I decide to leave Plex behind (I'll give them 6 months) this 'feature' will be the reason.

• NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 711Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 27

I'm game, after all, what news does the Plexverse actually have? I mean, what are we talking about? The news on Plex? Local news or world news? The former would be a lie because Plex Inc, would not advertise the negative events or concerns the Plex community had and the latter would just be plain silly.
    I actually quite fascinated by the changes and newly added features Plex has implemented. These changes are not motivated by a personal desire

• Dion250Dion250 Posts: 148Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Add option to disable please....

• wspies721wspies721 Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ditto ditto ditto....

• YaracuyYaracuy Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can't see News in my dashboard.

Maybe it's enabled only for certain countries so far?

In any case I don't want news in my dashboard either.

• Fiala06Fiala06 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yup useless feature no one want

• bobbob Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 27

Count me in as a vote to allow disabling this feature. It may be useful for some, but it’s unnecessary clutter for me.

• robertsandhamrobertsandham Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Absolutely agree. I didn't ask for news. I don't want news. I want it disabled.

• MonstroMonstro Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's only shown up on my Roku so far, but I hate it. I hate it so much!

• thetroutthetrout Posts: 1Members Plex Pass

I use Plex to escape from the nightmare hellscape of today's news. Please allow me wipe this news "feature" off the face of the Earth.

• thomsilbaughthomsilbaugh Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Contrary to what the media wants you to believe, WE ARE SICK OF "NEWS"

• telepheediantelepheedian Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This feature needs to be entirely disable-able. I understand there is revenue to be made here, but if things like this keep getting added, I’m sure there will be a surge in development of open source alternatives, and I’ll gladly jump ship. We (especially plex pass users) use Plex and have personal media servers (often at great expense) because legacy TV is trash. If it’s forcibly inserted into our media feeds, we will go elsewhere and you will have no users left. Plex does not have the mainstream appeal needed to become a “blessed” portal for official, ad-supported (or even “premium”) DRMed content streams. If that is the direction the company decides to move in, it will fail. Your userbase went out of their way to avoid those already, packaging them up nicely will not increase the appeal to them.