If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

News Playback and Features

ddruckerddrucker Posts: 105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Two features from the new News feature seemed to be missing for me:

1. You can't send News to a Plex Media Player (the Player icon is disabled while in that section), and when I tried simply using Airplay mirroring from my iPhone, both the source and mirrored video content went blank. I'm assuming this is intentional and may be due to contractual obligations with News providers. Anybody know if that's the reason, or have they gotten any way of getting your Plex News off of your iOS or Android device and onto another screen, either via Plex's built-in methods or Airplay/Chromecast?
  2. While there is some mention of customizing your news feeds based on 'Advanced AI' , I'm wondering if there might be a way to choose (or even mark as 'preferred') news sources. Not to mention the fact that even though I've set my location in the Server to Canada, not a single Canadian news source was shown (and although we are not averse to the occasional American football story, there was nothing about Hockey - the season has started, after all - and tons about the NFL/Trump controversy).

The sending of your Newscast to another player wouldn't be as annoying if there were Web playback (after all, that's what you can do with just about every other bit of Plex content), and what I really want to do is just have News available on my Mac when not watching Plex content there. Even if the Plex Media Player supported News, it would be OK, because then I could just switch to that, but once again, the computer screen seems to be the only place where you can't see Plex News.

As for the customizing thing, that's hopefully just temporary. I'm hoping that something that tells Plex News more about me than my watching habits is coming, particularly because I don't want to have to see some of the content there (puppies being saved from drowning is all well and good, but these days we are often glued to the Canadian/American exchange rate and stories about that would be much appreciated).

Comments

• bweezy21bweezy21 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

would be convenient if news you've previously watched was removed from the list. or upon returning to the news section the new updates were placed at the top of where you left off. of of those two.

• dlastovdlastov Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    1. It takes around 2 mins before the news start to play
    2. It stutters each 5s
    3. It ignores Chromecast, which is the only reason why I use Plex
  • BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,324Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for reports and suggestions

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/articles/201869908-log-files/
  • HRSCRHRSCR Posts: 382Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why the news doesn't work on the server or web player? Just in the client

Thank you

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,324Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited November 2017

@HRSCR said:

Thank you

the web player like some of the others as well like Smart TV apps just don't have it yet. they will. sorry no ETA

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/articles/201869908-log-files/
  • HRSCRHRSCR Posts: 382Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel said:

@HRSCR said:

Thank you

the web player like some of the others as well like Smart TV apps just don't have it yet. they will. sorry no ETA

Thank you!