If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple TV 4K... anyone able to actually get 4K resolution?

intothemildintothemild Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been playing a bunch of 4k files, and well, its 1080p. I'm currently remuxing to mp4 from mkv to try direct play, but even then on the android TV app itself, it plays at 4K, and if it has to transcode it transcodes at 4K..

What am i doing wrong?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• bspiller82bspiller82 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The application on AppleTV 4K doesn't support it yet. We are still waiting for an application update..

• janngobblejanngobble Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    This is slightly wrong @bspiller82… @gregflix already admitted that the application on AppleTV *does* support it, but the Plex Media Server does not stream according to Apple specs (It does mpeg-ts vs fragmented mp4 streaming) so once Plex Media Server addresses that one, it will “just work” on the AppleTV 4k.
  • DatapotomusDatapotomus Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is it a server side update or a client update?

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,396Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The former is client-side; the latter is server-side;

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• bwschorschbwschorsch Posts: 5Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any ETA on the Apple TV 4K update? Do you think it will be before the end of November?

• BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 12

@bwschorsch said:
    Any ETA on the Apple TV 4K update? Do you think it will be before the end of November?

It's in the 1.18 beta build, so should be soon. I'm unable to test as my ATV/TV both max out at 1080p.

• intothemildintothemild Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah i have that build.. but it still transcodes..

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/291139/muxing-into-mpegts

theres a thread with what i've been doing..

• taunnnttaunnnt Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OK stupid question, but isn't everything in 4K on the Apple TV 4K? When I watch something in HD 1080, when I select info on my Sony TV it always states 2160. So isn't the ATV4K upscaling everything? When I try to watch something in 4K it plays, but has issues where it will freeze and get the spinning circle action, but 4K is a WIP.

• dreamer81dreamer81 Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BastardSheep said:

@bwschorsch said:

It's in the 1.18 beta build, so should be soon. I'm unable to test as my ATV/TV both max out at 1080p.

I'm running the latest beta and it doesn't work. I dont think they have fixed 4k support yet.

• mjollymomjollymo Posts: 49Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dreamer81 said:

@BastardSheep said:

@bwschorsch said:

I'm running the latest beta and it doesn't work. I dont think they have fixed 4k support yet.

Build 1.18 supports 4K with H.264 only. The dev indicated that it's going to take some more work to get HEVC direct play supported.

• nickp85nickp85 Posts: 18Members ✭✭
    edited October 14

If you're already remuxing to mp4 with AAC you can just tweak your tvos.xml file and directplay will work, just not direct stream for mkv and non-native supported content. I have full 4K HDR10 content working with existing PMS and Plex app.

• intothemildintothemild Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@nickp85 said:
    If you're already remuxing to mp4 with AAC you can just tweak your tvos.xml file and directplay will work, just not direct stream for mkv and non-native supported content. I have full 4K HDR10 content working with existing PMS and Plex app.

As i said in the other thread, I'm on the 1.18 beta, which has the direct play profile for hevc.. as i said there for some reason it still transcodes hevc to h264, and ac3 to eac3..

do you mind sharing what you've done to your files to get them to direct play?

• PhillyKingPhillyKing Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don’t have the beta build but with the xml change I can’t play 4K direct play. Just download some test content from the web. X265. 8 bit.

• FrederikFKFrederikFK Posts: 570Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 14

@elan said:
    We have issues filed internally to update assets for 4K, and there are a few other things we're working on:

• Augmenting direct play profiles to allow compatible 4K/HEVC stuff to play.
    • Enhancement the transcoder to support fMP4 for the DS/transcode cases.

Why is this not out yet? Still treating the iOS/tvOS platform as a 2nd class citizen? Would have expected that a compliant and 4K-optimised app would have been out together with the ATV4K. Major players execute like that... :neutral:

(formerly known as hafnium and MTII)

• BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@intothemild said:
    As i said in the other thread, I'm on the 1.18 beta, which has the direct play profile for hevc.. as i said there for some reason it still transcodes hevc to h264, and ac3 to eac3..

I was under the impression 1.18 had the config for 4K, but not HEVC? Other people in this thread seem to be of the same impression, but you're saying it is otherwise?

• mjollymomjollymo Posts: 49Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BastardSheep said:

@intothemild said:

I was under the impression 1.18 had the config for 4K, but not HEVC? Other people in this thread seem to be of the same impression, but you're saying it is otherwise?

It does not support HEVC. In the Apple TV Beta section, the Dev commented in a thread indicating it is only MP4 H.264 4K that is supported for direct play. HEVC is a work in progress as there are some things they need to figure out first.

• dreamer81dreamer81 Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I Can also confirm that 1.18 build 7065 does not support 4K hevc (H.265) with

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,190Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hey guys, what @mjollymo mentioned about only having 4K Direct Play support for H.264 MP4 files in 1.18 beta is correct. 4K HEVC (H.265) support for Direct Play will be coming in the following beta release, but it will initially only work for files with MP4 containers. MKV files will still need to transcode for now, until the necessary updates are made in PMS.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• nickp85nickp85 Posts: 18Members ✭✭
    edited October 17

@intothemild said:
    do you mind sharing what you've done to your files to get them to direct play?

Here is what my tvos.xml looks like right now after a lot of trial and error. Keep in mind it's not perfect. You have to remux to mp4 container with AAC audio but it will direct play. The only thing I've noticed is that high bitrate 4K HDR10 videos will buffer and stop/go even if you have Direct Play and a solid connection. I have not found a fix for that yet as I'm not sure what's causing it. Been using Infuse player with DLNA in the meantime but that doesn't support HDR quality yet so the colors look dull.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Client name="tvOS">
      <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
      <!-- This profile is used by A8-based tvOS devices -->
      <Settings>
        <Setting name="DirectPlayStreamSelection" value="true" />
        <Setting name="StreamUnselectedIncompatibleAudioStreams" value="true" />
      </Settings>
      <TranscodeTargets>
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,eac3,ac3,mp3" context="streaming" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
        <SubtitleProfile protocol="hls" container="webvtt" subtitleCodec="webvtt"/>
      </TranscodeTargets>
      <DirectPlayProfiles>
        <VideoProfile container="mp4,m4v" codec="hevc,h265,h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac,ac3,eac3" subtitleCodec="mov_text,tx3g,ttxt,text" />
        <!-- Since tvOS may have issues direct playing mov/*/eac3 it has its own profile  -->
        <VideoProfile container="mov" codec="hevc,h265,h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac,ac3" subtitleCodec="mov_text,tx3g,ttxt,text" />
        <!-- Allow Direct Play of HLS content  -->
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
      </DirectPlayProfiles>
      <CodecProfiles>
        <VideoCodec name="hevc">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.width" value="3840" />
            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="2176" />
            <UpperBound name="video.bitrate" value="50000" />
            <UpperBound name="video.videoFrameRate" value="60" />
          </Limitations>