If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

The NEW 4K Amazon FireTV

KaraokeAmericaKaraokeAmerica Posts: 219Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone know anything yet? It is released in about a month.

I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-TV-Ultra-Antenna/dp/B07592RZ8M/#tech

And it says it supports 7.1 audio and Dolby Atmos. Wasn't the NVidia Shield the only one that did that before now?

For $70......does the $200+ Shield do anything more than this now?

Tagged:

Answers

• MrxiroMrxiro Posts: 2Members

Same question... doesn't look like anyone is answer though... Guess we'll find out in a month?

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,372Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can the new Fire TV serve Plex?

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• KaraokeAmericaKaraokeAmerica Posts: 219Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@spikemixture said:

Has the FireTV ever been able to do that? AFAIK, it's only PC/servers or certain NAS devices. I think the "pro" version of the NVidia Shield can act as a server, but it doesn't have much storage in it.

I could be wrong about all of this.....;)

Cool page! Much of it gibberish to me as a non-engineer.

I guess my "plain English" question would be, what does this NOT do that someone would want? How does it compare to the other, current options in real world features for even twice the money?

@KaraokeAmerica said:

@spikemixture said:

Has the FireTV ever been able to do that? AFAIK, it's only PC/servers or certain NAS devices. I think the "pro" version of the NVidia Shield can act as a server, but it doesn't have much storage in it.

All Nvidia Shield TV can be a Plex server.
    One reason why is costs more than a Fire TV.
    Plus a game controller - another reason

I own a Fire TV (not 4K) and a 16Gb Shield TV and a Shield Pro.
    The Fire works fine but I still recommend the Shield - It just has/does more.
    And I wonder if Amazon will keep the price at $70 when it goes 4K

And you have the wrong idea about servers - They do not need to have storage for the media as that can be on a PC or NAS.
    I don't recommend the 16gb Shield as a server but many with smallish libraries love them.

And finally 4K for me is a waste of money, bandwidth and hard drive space (= money).

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

@spikemixture said:

@KaraokeAmerica said:

@spikemixture said:

All Nvidia Shield TV can be a Plex server.
    One reason why is costs more than a Fire TV.
    Plus a game controller - another reason

I own a Fire TV (not 4K) and a 16Gb Shield TV and a Shield Pro.
    The Fire works fine but I still recommend the Shield - It just has/does more.
    And I wonder if Amazon will keep the price at $70 when it goes 4K

And you have the wrong idea about servers - They do not need to have storage for the media as that can be on a PC or NAS.
    I don't recommend the 16gb Shield as a server but many with smallish libraries love them.

And finally 4K for me is a waste of money, bandwidth and hard drive space (= money).

The one I linked above IS the new 4K FireTV. It is $70.

"I still recommend the Shield - It just has/does more."

Like what? I know about the server thing, but if you have to run a second device to actually hold the data what is the point? I guess if you already had a NAS that was only capable of holding data this could help, but any PC that was running when you wanted to use it could do the same thing so not that it's not cool, but for me that's not a selling feature.

Does it do anything else cool?

The one thing I know it did over the ROKU Ultimate for example is that it handled better audio, but it was twice the cost and that was the only thing (to me) that was an advantage I knew about. I'd like to be educated though!

edited September 28

Not sure you want any other opinions
    You seemed convinced with the little fire tv hanging from the back of your tv.
    Go for it.

Remember what you pay for is what you get!

Just noticed - looks like wifi only - always a negative IMO

edited September 28

@spikemixture said:
    Go for it.

Ummm.....if I were convinced I wouldn't have posted a thread about it.....;)

I'm just waiting to hear why the Shield (or any other) is better based on the specs of this new one? I already own a Firestick and other than no 4K or fancy audio, it works great for my needs. I see no reason that this wouldn't at least do that PLUS now offer 4K and Atmos/7.1.

However, it is you who said ""I still recommend the Shield - It just has/does more."" Other than the aforementioned gaming and the ability to act as a Plex "server" (neither of which I need) what else does it do that makes it superior?

I came here because I WANT that input.

• richarddc79richarddc79 Posts: 195Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@spikemixture said:
    Go for it.

There is an additional ethernet adapter due out mid october for around £14 I believe.

Plex Media Server

HP Laptop core i5 Windows 10
    Lenovo M58p Windows 10 "NAS" 5TB Movies and TV Shows

Plex Clients

Xbox One S
    Fire TV stick gen 2
    Fire TV stick gen 1
    Chromecast gen 2
    Chromecast gen 1
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 7
    iPad (2017)
    iPad Mini 2
    iPod touch
    Fire 7" tablet

@richarddc79 said:

@spikemixture said:
    Go for it.

There is an additional ethernet adapter due out mid october for around £14 I believe.

Yes. I have it in my basket, but the FireTV comes with 802.11ac already. I can stream even 4K from Amazon/NetFlix on my home Wi-Fi without issue so I put it in "save for later" just in case. I have no intention of buying it up front.

Is there any other reason to buy that?

• richarddc79richarddc79 Posts: 195Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@KaraokeAmerica said:

@richarddc79 said:

@spikemixture said:
    Go for it.

Yes. I have it in my basket, but the FireTV comes with 802.11ac already. I can stream even 4K from Amazon/NetFlix on my home Wi-Fi without issue so I put it in "save for later" just in case. I have no intention of buying it up front.

Is there any other reason to buy that?

I am not too sure if it will be needed, but I like you would try it on wifi first.

Plex Media Server

HP Laptop core i5 Windows 10
    Lenovo M58p Windows 10 "NAS" 5TB Movies and TV Shows

Plex Clients

Xbox One S
    Fire TV stick gen 2
    Fire TV stick gen 1
    Chromecast gen 2
    Chromecast gen 1
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 7
    iPad (2017)
    iPad Mini 2
    iPod touch
    Fire 7" tablet

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,805Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28

@KaraokeAmerica said:

The Shield costs more because it's a ****y game console bundled up with what can be used as a Media Server with Hardware Encoding. It can be a GIANT PITA because they can't decide who has to do what to it to make it work - Is it Plex that's ****ing it up, or is it NVidea?:

https://forums.plex.tv/categories/nvidia-shield

A few minutes in that forum should be all that's necessary to have you run from the building with your hair on fire. IMO a Media Server needs to be a big nasty computer with plenty of horses under the hood so you can work on your material (or make the monumental mistake of having Plex destroy it with their transcoder) and lots of space for you to bolt local storage into it. When running out of said space (quickly) you'll be using a NAS which means; Network Attached Storage - and also means - Not A Server - or any number of other storage options - some working better than others, but NOTHING working as well as those first local drives you bolted into your server box. Hint: Buy a BIG BOX with ample space inside it.

Another shortcoming of Shield is that currently it's suffering from the same thing AFTV and Android is - a world class **** Plex App!

Well... we can't really do anything about that, can we?

The one thing I know it did over the ROKU Ultimate for example is that it handled better audio, but it was twice the cost and that was the only thing (to me) that was an advantage I knew about. I'd like to be educated though!

Roku -at this time - is the 'unknown quantity'. There is currently a 50 alarm fire at Roku Inc in that this 7.7 FirmWare they've had to invent to fix all those New Units you were thinking about buying has all but sunk their ONLY stable boxes - Roku 3s and Newer Roku 2s. Those stable units are the fleet that's keeping Roku even close to being a viable alternate, but Roku is operating under the twisted assumption that one FirmWare is going to work on all their boxes. At least they may have once thought that, but are now having a real second look at that flawed thought process due in no small part the fact that in order to fix the Roku 2s and 3s they had to develop a 'special' FW build and pipe it out under cover of darkness to those lucky customers that got in on the ground floor of 'their fix sequence' in what they thought was going to be a 'little problem'.

Virtually overnight that 'little problem' turned into Kawasaki Gargoilmang (the irradiated monster from the Orient) that is now stomping the **** out of Roku Inc:
    https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=104029
    There's what a user uprising looks like - 46 pages of: 'WTF Is Going On Over There, Man?'

The 'Little Problem' has now grown out of control and Roku is unable to process the requests to: Downgrade/Then Upgrade to the Experimental Build that does fix their once stable 2s, 3s, and TVs. Now they can't help anybody. I was lucky, as previously mentioned - I just made it under the wire before that support bridge was destroyed. (Yay!)

The TWO things Plex/Roku have going for it right now is 1) the Plex App for Roku was developed by a capable developer Plex had the good fortune to hire before he got away and 2) said developer. The Plex App for Roku is Light Years ahead of any of the rest of **** Plex is trying to pass off as Apps for their really nice Media Server.

Plex has a real problem with Apps. They're no good at developing them. They have one Guy. The Roku Guy. I think they're now pressing him into service in other development wings, but that is just speculation at this point. This app saga will have more chapters. Stay Tuned.

You're going to need that aforementioned Big Powerful Computer because if you're going to try to use 4K/HEVC in a Plex Environment you're going to have to create a LOT of the material yourself - in just the right way - just the right format - or Plex will gleefully transcode it down to 1080p with 2 channel audio.

Plex is probably 2 more years away from getting a handle on 4k/HEVC. Plex has an 'attention span' problem - as you probably know. They can never concentrate on something long enough to finish the job 'cause when a pretty butterfly flitters past, they're off chasing it.

I am curious about the New Fire TVs. I hope it goes well for you, but right now you're going to be dealing with a crap Plex App and that's going to be an adventure in and of itself.

I will follow your exploits with great interest.

Good Luck fellow traveler.

:)

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

@JuiceWSA said:

@KaraokeAmerica said:

The Shield costs more because it's a ****y game console bundled up with what can be used as a Media Server with Hardware Encoding. It can be a GIANT PITA because they can't decide who has to do what to it to make it work - Is it Plex that's ****ing it up, or is it NVidea?:

https://forums.plex.tv/categories/nvidia-shield

A few minutes in that forum should be all that's necessary to have you run from the building with your hair on fire. IMO a Media Server needs to be a big nasty computer with plenty of horses under the hood so you can work on your material (or make the monumental mistake of having Plex destroy it with their transcoder) and lots of space for you to bolt local storage into it. When running out of said space (quickly) you'll be using a NAS which means; Network Attached Storage - and also means - Not A Server - or any number of other storage options - some working better than others, but NOTHING working as well as those first local drives you bolted into your server box. Hint: Buy a BIG BOX with ample space inside it.

Another shortcoming of Shield is that currently it's suffering from the same thing AFTV and Android is - a world class **** Plex App!

Well... we can't really do anything about that, can we?

Roku -at this time - is the 'unknown quantity'. There is currently a 50 alarm fire at Roku Inc in that this 7.7 FirmWare they've had to invent to fix all those New Units you were thinking about buying has all but sunk their ONLY stable boxes - Roku 3s and Newer Roku 2s. Those stable units are the fleet that's keeping Roku even close to being a viable alternate, but Roku is operating under the twisted assumption that one FirmWare is going to work on all their boxes. At least they may have once thought that, but are now having a real second look at that flawed thought process due in no small part the fact that in order to fix the Roku 2s and 3s they had to develop a 'special' FW build and pipe it out under cover of darkness to those lucky customers that got in on the ground floor of 'their fix sequence' in what they thought was going to be a 'little problem'.

Virtually overnight that 'little problem' turned into Kawasaki Gargoilmang (the irradiated monster from China) that is now stomping the **** out of Roku Inc:
    https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=104029
    There's what a user uprising looks like - 46 pages of: 'WTF Is Going On Over There, Man?'

The 'Little Problem' has no grown out of control and Roku is unable to process the requests to: Downgrade/Then Upgrade to the Experiment Build that does fix their once stable 2s, 3s, and TVs. Now they can't help anybody. I was lucky, as previously mentioned - I just made it under the wire before that support bridge was destroyed. Yay!

The ONE thing Roku has going for it right now is the Plex App for Roku was developed by a capable designer Plex had the good fortune to hire before he got away. The Plex App for Roku is Light Years ahead of any of the rest of **** Plex is trying to pass off as Apps for their really nice Media Server.

Plex has a real problem with Apps. They're no good at developing them. They have one Guy. The Roku Guy. I think they're now pressing him into service in other development wings, but that is just speculation at this point. This app saga will have more chapters. Stay Tuned.

You're going to need that aforementioned Big Powerful Computer because if you're going to try to use 4K/HEVC in a Plex Environment you're going to have to create a LOT of the material yourself - in just the right way - just the right format - or Plex will gleefully transcode it down to 1080p with 2 channel audio.

Plex is probably 2 more years away from getting a handle on 4k/HEVC. Plex has an 'attention span' problem - as you probably know. They can never concentrate on something long enough to finish the job 'cause when a pretty butterfly flitters past, they're off chasing it.

I am curious about the New Fire TVs. I hope it goes well for you, but right now you're going to be dealing with a crap Plex App and that's going to be an adventure in and of itself.

I will follow your exploits with great interest.

Good Luck fellow traveler.

:)

Wow! I'm not going to try to parse all that. I'll just say that I already run a physical, Core i5, Win10 "server" with 15TB+ of storage in it. That is my Plex server making any need for he capabilities of Shield for that purpose, unneeded. Since it doesn't have storage in it that means anyone would have to have a SECOND device to store their media. What's he point of that for most people?

As far as the transcoding goes, my server...so far....hasn't had any issue that I'm aware of other than sometimes I have audio synch issues that I haven't been able to isolate to any single part of my setup. Nobody can tell me why it happens, but it's mostly with HD (1080) content when it happens.

I have no intention at this point is using Plex to consume any 4K content. I don't even have a 4K physical player. However, my TV is 4K and I do consume some 4K content directly through the TV apps via NetFlix/Amazon. The reason I care to buy such a device (I already have a Firestick that I use in the bedroom and an OLD Roku that I don't use) is because I currently use an Asus HDMI PC as my media client on my main TV. It runs Win10 and for the most part works fine. However, I am looking to cut the cord and SIMPLIFY my system so the non-techie folks in my house can deal with it. If the solution works well I can repeat it in other rooms.

I also use the Plex DVR and with a couple of caveats it works at this point.

I do have regular issues with my apps as you seem to be aware of. My iOS app for example can't set a recording. I get "400" errors when I try to schedule it even if I'm in the same house on my LAN. PMP can't successfully delete a program from my server despite it being in the same room on my network. I am able to delete it from the web interface ON my server directly, but it still gives me the same error despite it being gone when I refresh the page...little annoying things like that.

edited September 28

@KaraokeAmerica said:
    PMP can't successfully delete a program from my server despite it being in the same room on my network. I am able to delete it from the web interface ON my server directly, but it still gives me the same error despite it being gone when I refresh the page...little annoying things like that.

Let me guess - Can't Delete - Please check your permissions".

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279520/unable-to-delete-file-please-check-your-permissions

Work-Around: Restart your PMS.
    For a while - until the next time it happens - you'll be able to delete from a client.
    Lather/Rinse/Repeat.

@sa2000 is working the case. I feel confident he'll narrow down the problem eventually and turn it over to Staff - and then we'll see where it goes from there.

Audio sync issues are usually caused by an underpowered server and/or misconfigured Plex audio environment and/or a Plex transcoding process gone awry - SNAFU.

I stopped having issues with the lips and the sound of the words not living in the same zip code when I stopped letting Plex transcode ANYTHING - unless absolutely necessary - like my phone won't handle AC3 - OK... I get it, but one false move during that Direct Stream and it's off to Xmedia Recode for the addition of an AAC 2.0 track that WILL Direct Play!

I have the tools and I know how to use them.

Around here we operate under the 'Direct Play or the Highway' code of ethics. I like PMS (the server part) - but I do NOT let it fiddle with my media.

:p

Tony

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

@JuiceWSA said:

@KaraokeAmerica said:
    PMP can't successfully delete a program from my server despite it being in the same room on my network. I am able to delete it from the web interface ON my server directly, but it still gives me the same error despite it being gone when I refresh the page...little annoying things like that.

Let me guess - Can't Delete - Please check your permissions".

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279520/unable-to-delete-file-please-check-your-permissions

Work-Around: Restart your PMS.
    For a while - until the next time it happens - you'll be able to delete from a client.
    Lather/Rinse/Repeat.

@sa2000 is working the case. I feel confident he'll narrow down the problem eventually and turn it over to Staff - and then we'll see where it goes from there.

Audio sync issues are usually caused by an underpowered server and/or misconfigured Plex audio environment and/or a Plex transcoding process gone awry - SNAFU.

I stopped having issues with the lips and the sound of the words not living in the same zip code when I stopped letting Plex transcode ANYTHING - unless absolutely necessary - like my phone won't handle AC3 - OK... I get it, but one false move during that Direct Stream and it's off to Xmedia Recode for the addition of an AAC 2.0 track that WILL Direct Play!

I have the tools and I know how to use them.

:p

Curious......how do you turn transcoding off? I looked at the settings and all it gives you is various levels of CPU abuse, but no setting that says "don't transcode unless absolutely necessary".

My server isn't superpowered but I almost never have more than one stream being fed at once so I'd be surprised if it can't do that. I am almost always feeding my Win10 PMP client over my LAN on that Asus HDMI stick. However, I have tried the built in Plex app on my LG TV and have seen the same thing though. I agree that whatever it is is happening on the server end.

Good to know on the library deletion issue. It was something that was annoying, but I could always work around it so never posted anything or looked for an answer.

The audio synch issue though I have posted about and never found anything useful:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/270334/audio-synch-in-pmp

Thanks for the use of your tools!

edited September 28

You don't really turn transcoding off. You create material that Direct Plays. If something comes in here that won't Direct Play - it will by the time I'm done with it.

On my Roku App you can 'Force' Direct Play, but that really only means that it will 'try' to Direct Play first - if that fails it's gonna transcode. This Roku FW disaster has me using that 'Force' setting because my Roku does have the hydraulic jerks here lately wherein it wants Plex to transcode things I happen to KNOW are supposed to Direct Play. Forcing the issue seems to work - for now.

You'll do yourself a LOT of favors by enabling 'Display Information' in your Plex app for your Fire Stick (and your new AFTV unit - when/if that arrives). That will show you some helpful information about the stream. Direct Play or Transcoding and if so the reason.

Alternately you can play something on another device that doesn't have that helpful feature, then open up a Plexweb instance, go to Status/Now Playing and get some basic info about the stream that might lead to a cure for that transcode.

Handbrake Guide in my signature.
    Xmedia Recode: http://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.html
    MCEBuddy - Broadcast TV for fun and profit: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1321322/#Comment_1321322

Tony

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,763Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja
    edited September 28

I actually looked at the new FireTV boxes, but based on the specs that leaked out I decided to just get a FireTV Stick, since I do not care about 4K.

Here is a good article that shows where the new dongle lands in the FireTV lineup - aftvnews.com/exclusive-these-are-the-two-new-amazon-fire-tv-models-being-released-in-2017/

In my opinion, the new dongle box is not worth the price. It is a little bit more powerful than the stick but is much less powerful than the second gen FireTV box that they just stopped selling, If you want a 4K AndriodTV box, the mi box has much better specs for $10 more, but it uses Google for voice recognition and you get the GoogleTV environment instead of the Amazon environment.

The only reason I would say to get that new FireTV dongle box is if you wanted 4K and prefer Alexa for voice stuff and use Amazon services so you do not want to use the Google environment. Or if you can find it cheap, try to get the second gen FireTV (Amazon has discontinued selling them so you would have to get a refurbished one), since it is much more powerful than that dongle.

EDIT:
    Actually I think the Mi Box is the same price as that dongle right now. It i$69.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

@JuiceWSA said:
    You don't really turn transcoding off. You create material that Direct Plays. If something comes in here that won't Direct Play - it will by the time I'm done with it.

On my Roku App you can 'Force' Direct Play, but that really only means that it will 'try' to Direct Play first - if that fails it's gonna transcode. This Roku FW disaster has me using that 'Force' setting because my Roku does have the hydraulic jerks here lately wherein it wants Plex to transcode things I happen to KNOW are supposed to Direct Play. Forcing the issue seems to work - for now.

You'll do yourself a LOT of favors by enabling 'Display Information' in your Plex app for your Fire Stick (and your new AFTV unit - when/if that arrives). That will show you some helpful information about the stream. Direct Play or Transcoding and if so the reason.

Alternately you can play something on another device that doesn't have that helpful feature, then open up a Plexweb instance, go to Status/Now Playing and get some basic info about the stream that might lead to a cure for that transcode.

Handbrake Guide in my signature.
    Xmedia Recode: http://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.html
    MCEBuddy - Broadcast TV for fun and profit: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1321322/#Comment_1321322

So.......I generally use Handbrake to create my DVD rips using H.264 in either m4v or MKV formats. For Blu-Rays I use either Handbrake or CloneBD, also H.264. When I'm ripping 3D I always use CloneBD, but used to use BDtoAVCHD. I don't know that it makes a difference which program I use.

However, what SHOULD I use to create content that direct plays?

@shopgirl284 said:
    I actually looked at the new FireTV boxes, but based on the specs that leaked out I decided to just get a FireTV Stick, since I do not care about 4K.

Here is a good article that shows where the new dongle lands in the FireTV lineup - aftvnews.com/exclusive-these-are-the-two-new-amazon-fire-tv-models-being-released-in-2017/

In my opinion, the new dongle box is not worth the price. It is a little bit more powerful than the stick but is much less powerful than the second gen FireTV box that they just stopped selling, If you want a 4K AndriodTV box, the mi box has much better specs for $10 more, but it uses Google for voice recognition and you get the GoogleTV environment instead of the Amazon environment.

The only reason I would say to get that new FireTV dongle box is if you wanted 4K and prefer Alexa for voice stuff and use Amazon services so you do not want to use the Google environment. Or if you can find it cheap, try to get the second gen FireTV (Amazon has discontinued selling them so you would have to get a refurbished one), since it is much more powerful than that dongle.

EDIT:
    Actually I think the Mi Box is the same price as that dongle right now. It i$69.

Good write-up, thanks!

I own a Firestick, but a 2gen FireTV doesn't handle 4K does it? Also, what is the point of "powerful" if it does what someone needs? Is it just snappier in responding to commands? Would the new one have issues playing the content?

I also own 2 Echo Dots already, neither of which I currently use for controlling my media. There is a Plex app which I tried, but I found it more cumbersome than just picking up my Harmony Remote that is already programmed for all my stuff.

Frankly, I was originally leaning towards a Roku Ultimate, not having heard any of the stuff that @JuiceWSA said above. It seemed to do everything I needed and was half the price of a Shield. When I saw this new FireTV dongle, I thought it would be comparable, but perhaps not.

I'm curious to see what the new Cube comes in at......