If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

This is hostile to households with children

balshetzerbalshetzer Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This news feature is unwanted. I don't want to see random content. I don't want my kids to see random content. I don't understand how this is not obvious to the dev team.

Comments

• andyceeandycee Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I think the term 'hostile' is a bit much, but yeah, I'm not sure this was the best allocation of their resources.

• balshetzerbalshetzer Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

A change is hostile if it breaks the ability of the user to use the app. Before this change a parent could leave their child unattended with Plex and a set of curated content. Now, they cannot if they don't want their child watching random clips from CNN (or whatever news sources are in this thing).

• djumvdjumv Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah, there’s no way this doesn’t end up like Facebook, where you only see what they agree with....

DJUMV - VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, CCNP R&S, CCDP, MCSE - 2013 Messaging

• PMS running as a VMWare VM on top of a 3-host redundant HA Cluster.
    • vSphere Hosts Build: 2x Xeon 10-core E5-2650-v3, 128GB RAM, 2x 1TB SSD RAID 1 (hardware controller, LSI SAS), 2x Quad-Port 10Gbe NIC per host.
    • 8TB vSAN stretched cluster across 10k RPM SAS drives
    • vSAN over 8-port LBT dvSwitch
    • Cisco 4506e with supVII
    • PMS Virtual Machine: Server 2016, 8 Virtual processors, 32GB RAM.
  • CyffroiCyffroi Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It says in the announcement that the managed users will be unable to see this feature. also it looks like it has a fair level of customization, once they roll it out to a device I am willing to use to work through a bunch of menus.

• balshetzerbalshetzer Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I wasn't using managed users, I guess I'll start. I've made myself a managed user as well since I don't want this and the only way to turn it off is to be a managed user.

• wolfmanbasswolfmanbass Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@andycee said:
    I think the term 'hostile' is a bit much, but yeah, I'm not sure this was the best allocation of their resources.

If they were getting paid to include the content then it may have been the best use of their resources.
    I still think it a dumb feature. I'm sure someone could have created a channel to do this, if there isn't one already.

• WAYFLIXWAYFLIX Posts: 456Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Cyffroi said:
    It says in the announcement that the managed users will be unable to see this feature. also it looks like it has a fair level of customization, once they roll it out to a device I am willing to use to work through a bunch of menus.

Well it’s blasted all over my kids managed user account on the latest ATV app update. Even when I remove it from my admin dashboard. This is utter redicoulous.

PMS: 2013 i7 iMac, OSX 10.13.X

Storage: Drobo 5D DAS via Thunderbolt.

Connection: XFINITY 1000/35, Internal Network Cat6 1GBs wired, 802.11ac wireless.

• jkallandjkalland Posts: 556Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is what happens when you don't finish the managed users feature before you find a time that you really need it...

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router + HP ProCurve gig-E switch
    WD My Book Live 1 TB "NAS"
    Dell 3010 Chromebox running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS w/ PMS, TVHeadend (OTA Antenna), and Kodi (Jarvis) wired to the ProCurve (...and with a 1 TB USB3 pocket drive literally taped on top of it)
    Roku 3 (the original 3) wired to the ProCurve
    Roku 3 (2015ish refurb) wired to the Nighthawk (RIP Roku XD)

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 21,673Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

To all in this thread.

I have just chatted with Sr Engineering. News should have been turned off for managed users two days ago (meaning September 27).

I ask for verification at this time.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• flamebirdflamebird Posts: 119Members ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

If the "news" is app dependent and doesn't rely on the server; then how exactly can you turn off a "feature" for someone else's Plex app?

• cayarscayars Posts: 4,740Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@flamebird said:
    If the "news" is app dependent and doesn't rely on the server; then how exactly can you turn off a "feature" for someone else's Plex app?

That's something that bothers me as well. I want the apps tied to my server and to only show content I want it to show. If the user connects to a different server then that server can enable feature the server owner wants to show. Most users probably only connect to one server so this allows us to "customize" the app for our use.

We should at the server level be able to turn on or off features PER USER such as:
    DVR Scheduling
    Live TV
    SYNCing
    Prerolls
    Access to Libraries (have this now)
    Access to Channels (have this now)
    DVD/Bluray trailers (feature that was turned off do to user demand)
    News
    Basically all main features of the client (and dashboard) should be able to be set on the server.

11.4K+ Movies, 425 Shows - 36.4K+ TV Episodes, 515 Christmas Movies, 480 Documentary, 335 3D Movies, 1300 Sports Events, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215K+ Tracks, 900 GB Plex Meta-Data. 9 Network Tuners.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1
  • placemanplaceman Posts: 98Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd like to be able to turn the news feature ON for certain managed accounts. OFF for others.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 21,673Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

If you wish to turn on News for users in your 'Home', create them as a free account and add that user to your Home. Full accounts have News.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• Frank LoganFrank Logan Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@placeman said:
    I'd like to be able to turn the news feature ON for certain managed accounts. OFF for others.

I don't want news on my media server period. I watch from my main account. Do I really need to create another one, just to avoid this?

@elan @BigWheel

2012 Samsung HT-E6730W Home Theater
    2012 Samsung UN46ES8000F TV, with attached 2014 Samsung Evolution Kit SEK-2000
    2015 Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6
    Kangaroo PC Pro, Windows 10, Plex Media Server, with 2TB Seagate HDD

• LammeN3rdLammeN3rd Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Frank Logan said:

@placeman said:

I don't want news on my media server period. I watch from my main account. Do I really need to create another one, just to avoid this?

@elan @BigWheel

I have the same issue! besides switching to a managed account is no option since I will lose all status on what I watched as well as the ability to use the DVR feature!

Don't try to send us into the woods with a hack, own up to your mistake and provide a fix!!

• Binson_BuzzBinson_Buzz Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2017

my children have full accounts that are managed by me (can't remember why they don't have managed accounts - think it was somethign to do with syncing).

Can you please enable to ability for full accounts to turn off news on a app by app basis please as there are some of my apps where I don't want news either, much less my 4 and 7 year old kids seeing inappropriate items

please don't make this another unfamily friendly feature like the useless pin entry system which through making it visible on the screen whilst being entered makes it pointless in a shared environment, and also removes the ability to have a parental lock

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,132Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

has already been stated a in the FAQ linked at the top of this forum section a way to turn it off will be implemented. but sorry i do not have any eta

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/articles/201869908-log-files/
  • CharaxCharax Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel said:
    has already been stated a in the FAQ linked at the top of this forum section a way to turn it off will be implemented. but sorry i do not have any eta

Actually no, it doesn't @BigWheel, what it states is:
    we are working toward even more granular control for users in future releases.

"More granular control" does not mean "We will implement a way to turn it off". It implies it, but it does not state it.
    Unless you are now saying that when the FAQ says "More granular control", the ability to disable news entirely will absolutely be included within that granular control? because that would represent a significant and welcome clarification to the somewhat mealy-mouthed current wording

Using Tapatalk
  • codeecbcodeecb Posts: 91Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@WAYFLIX said:

@Cyffroi said:

Well it’s blasted all over my kids managed user account on the latest ATV app update. Even when I remove it from my admin dashboard. This is utter redicoulous.

It isn't "blasted" anywhere. Unless it's different on your device there is a single button in the library labeled "news". I don't understand why people are so worked up over this - is it useful or of interest to me? No. Do I think they could spend their time, money and resources on something else? Yes. Such as license fees for proper logos for DTS HD etc. That being said people are blowing this need thing out of proportion.

• cayarscayars Posts: 4,740Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I pretty much agree with you codeecb but others run a tight ship. Will setup children with PG or PG-13 only access, etc, limit them from using channels etc to make for a family safe environment. So for those running a tight ship the News can interject some content that goes above PG (whatever).

Take for example the Mass shooting that just happened in Las Vegas. Is that something you want your 8 year old to see? Some parents won't care while others will.

Maybe down the road the content could be rated and then the News could be shared (or not) like any other library and it would automatically use the RATINGS applied to a user as a filter. That would be a most ideal solution.

For example any politic clips showing talks about GUNs or GUN Violence would be a PG-13 so it wouldn't show up in a PG category. Something like that.

11.4K+ Movies, 425 Shows - 36.4K+ TV Episodes, 515 Christmas Movies, 480 Documentary, 335 3D Movies, 1300 Sports Events, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215K+ Tracks, 900 GB Plex Meta-Data. 9 Network Tuners.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1