If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple TV 4K does not work 2 time every 3.

Lorenzo FruaLorenzo Frua Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, I have been wathcing my movies for about one year using plex, on my NVidia Shield TV. My movies are 30/40 GB mkv files, the codec is H264, are BlyRay Untouched. It worked very well! About one week ago I bought the new Apple TV 4K, but i can't play 2/3 of my movies. It starts, but continuesly lags, you can't see anything. Someone has that kind of problem?

Best Answers

Answers

• partizan76partizan76 Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Lorenzo Frua said:
    Hi, I have been wathcing my movies for about one year using plex, on my NVidia Shield TV. My movies are 30/40 GB mkv files, the codec is H264, are BlyRay Untouched. It worked very well! About one week ago I bought the new Apple TV 4K, but i can't play 2/3 of my movies. It starts, but continuesly lags, you can't see anything. Someone has that kind of problem?

Very well! You also told 2/3 of info. Type of connection, settings etc... May you banned by google? Or your Plex pass prevent searching this forum?

• Henk HavelaarHenk Havelaar Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As far I can see the app dont support 4K, the server is transcoding to 1920*1080 and the ATV4K is upscaling to 4K, double work for nothing...

Primary PMS: Windows 8.1, i7-4770K, 32GB Ram, 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
    Media Storage: 2 x Areca 8 channel Raid 5 - 28TB, 2 x Sharkoon USB 3.0 5 channel Raid 5 - 32TB

Secondary PMS: nVidia Shield for music

Desktop Clients: Windows PC's
    Mobile Clients: 5 x iPhone, 5 x iPad, Android phones
    Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 2 x ATV 4K

Plex App clients: 4 x Apple ATV 4 and LG TV, Sony Bravia TV, MS Surface Pro Apps

• Lorenzo FruaLorenzo Frua Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@partizan76 said:

@Lorenzo Frua said:

Very well! You also told 2/3 of info. Type of connection, settings etc... May you banned by google? Or your Plex pass prevent searching this forum?

I have a well installed LAN, with a netgear router. Everything is connected by 1Gygabit Ethernet. The speed of the HDD transfer via LAN is about 100MB/s, via Wi-Fi is 60/70MB/s. The bitrate of the files I want to play is more or less 30Mbit/s

@Henk Havelaar said:
    As far I can see the app dont support 4K, the server is transcoding to 1920*1080 and the ATV4K is upscaling to 4K, double work for nothing...

This is bad news, but I supposed so, but quite all of the files I want to play are 1080p.
    I just tried the app Infuse, it works extreme well. I recommend it until Plex has been updated.

@Lorenzo Frua said:

@partizan76 said:

@Lorenzo Frua said:

I have a well installed LAN, with a netgear router. Everything is connected by 1Gygabit Ethernet. The speed of the HDD transfer via LAN is about 100MB/s, via Wi-Fi is 60/70MB/s. The bitrate of the files I want to play is more or less 30Mbit/s

I always play with the original quality, no conversion.

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,186Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

PMS has to transcode full BD-rips for the Apple TV. What kind of hardware is in your PMS server?

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• GForce10GForce10 Posts: 161Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Lorenzo Frua said:

@partizan76 said:

@Lorenzo Frua said:

I have the nighthawk x10 with a nighthawk 1900ac as a wireless bridge/repeater with the Apple 4k and have 0 issues with 4k content with the process wireless.

Build the Awesome Plex Server (Automated Server Edition - UB16.04 VPS & Dedicated Server Use)
    a. Installs Plex, PlexPy, PlexDrive, Sonarr, Radarr, CouchPotato, Docker, Portainer, Apache, Wordpress, Ombi, RClone, UnionFS, & NetData
    b. Prevents API Bans, Prevents Upload Ban (UnionFS) and utilizes PlexDrive for all read functions
    c. Written due to Plex-Cloud Frustration & poor windows solution in regards to the use of Plex & G-Drive

Github Project: https://github.com/Admin9705/The-Awesome-Plex-Server/
    Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AwesomePlex/

@kinoCharlino said:
    PMS has to transcode full BD-rips for the Apple TV. What kind of hardware is in your PMS server?

I don't understand why does PMS have to transcode them, Infuse doen't do, and the play perfectly.
    My PMS server is a windows, with inter core i7, 8gb RAM, 2gb video card.

@GForce10 said:

@Lorenzo Frua said:

@partizan76 said:

@Lorenzo Frua said:

I have the nighthawk x10 with a nighthawk 1900ac as a wireless bridge/repeater with the Apple 4k and have 0 issues with 4k content with the process wireless.

https://www.amazon.it/Netgear-R7800-100PES-Nighthawk-Wireless-Processore/dp/B01AJI18WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507035788&sr=8-1&keywords=nighthawk+ac2600

This is my router

@kinoCharlino said:

@Lorenzo Frua said:
    I don't understand why does PMS have to transcode them, Infuse doen't do, and the play perfectly.

As @Lappen71 mentioned, we use Apple's native tvOS player. To further expand on that, regardless of what player we use, Apple TV won't have the same level of Direct Play and audio-passthrough capability as something like the NVIDIA SHIELD due to limitations on the device. Infuse is great player and that’s all they focus on. We’ve used the native player so far to take advantage of the work Apple has already done to focus our effort in other areas, but we’re always evaluating that decision and other options to make the best playback experience.

Now, regarding your playback issue...
    If your BD-rips are H.264, much of them really should Direct Stream, possibly only needing to transcode the audio stream. It could be transcoding the video if the files have a bitrate over 20Mbps without the proper setting applied on Apple TV. In the Plex app for Apple TV, go to Settings -> Quality -> Local. By default it is set to "Recommended", which caps off at 20Mbps and will force a transcode for anything above that. Set it to "Maximum" and see if that improves things. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you for the answer, but I already set it to maximum. I bought an Apple TV to have a better interface, instead of NVidia Shield TV, for plex too. The Plex App for Apple TV is more captivating.
    I won't change the quality of my movies and i won't go back to NVidia. I was extremely happy to have found a perfect service like Plex, and I was glad to pay for the Plex Pass. But if I can't play my movies on my new Apple TV, I will pass permanently to ather apps, like Infuse.

If I can make a remark, one of the functions I love in Infuse is the automaticly grouping of the episodes of the series. Actually Plex doen't even recognise them.

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,186Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@Lorenzo Frua said:
    If I can make a remark, one of the functions I love in Infuse is the automaticly grouping of the episodes of the series. Actually Plex doen't even recognise them.

Plex can group episodes in a series together. What is the folder structure you have organized your TV series in and how are you naming your files? Check out this article on Naming 'Series' & 'Season' Based TV Shows.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• minimedia@lastchancerecords.comminimedia@lastchancerecords.com Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've spent a lot of time tweaking my large Plex library, building collections, playlists, etc... but I have to chime in and say that the Infuse grouping of collections automatically is impressive.

I'm looking at using Infuse as my primary local playback engine with the new ATV 4K to avoid transcoding and get the full quality Blu-Ray MKV's while maintaining Plex w/ m4v's for off site streaming. I've been a Plex advocate for a long time and bought a full priced Plex pass, but with the focus seemingly in areas other than AV lately, I'm (sadly) looking at all my options.

Travis