Our forum migration to Discourse will be going on starting late today June 19 to 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post here for more information https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/319354/well-be-moving-the-forums-to-discourse-heres-the-scoop/
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Feature Request] Configurable news sources

beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,848Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

That phrase "Trusted news sources" does not apply to "The Blaze." This is Glenn Beck's conservative-biased vanity project. It is more opinion than news. Worse than Fox. I will not use Plex News unless I can remove The Blaze.

Clearly we need the ability to configure which sources we want to see in our News feed.

Comments

• alkjonesalkjones Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I very much agree. I'm in the UK and as such I haven't heard of half of these channels and frankly don't want to..and as for Sky 'news'? you must be joking!

BBC, and ITN please!

• djumvdjumv Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@beckfield said:
    That phrase "Trusted news sources" does not apply to "The Blaze." This is Glenn Beck's conservative-biased vanity project. It is more opinion than news. Worse than Fox. I will not use Plex News unless I can remove The Blaze.

Clearly we need the ability to configure which sources we want to see in our News feed.

Point could have been made without injecting your personal politics into it.

Unless of course, you just want people to die.

DJUMV - VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, CCNP R&S, CCDP, MCSE - 2013 Messaging

• PMS running as a VMWare VM on top of a 3-host redundant HA Cluster.
    • vSphere Hosts Build: 2x Xeon 10-core E5-2650-v3, 128GB RAM, 2x 1TB SSD RAID 1 (hardware controller, LSI SAS), 2x Quad-Port 10Gbe NIC per host.
    • 8TB vSAN stretched cluster across 10k RPM SAS drives
    • vSAN over 8-port LBT dvSwitch
    • Cisco 4506e with supVII
    • PMS Virtual Machine: Server 2016, 8 Virtual processors, 32GB RAM.
  • codeecbcodeecb Posts: 91Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@beckfield said:

Or you could just not click on that source and not limit others people choices just because of how you feel about them.

• djumvdjumv Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@codeecb said:

@beckfield said:

Or you could just not click on that source and not limit others people choices just because of how you feel about them.

Queue up him calling you a **** for disagreeing.

DJUMV - VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, CCNP R&S, CCDP, MCSE - 2013 Messaging

• PMS running as a VMWare VM on top of a 3-host redundant HA Cluster.
    • vSphere Hosts Build: 2x Xeon 10-core E5-2650-v3, 128GB RAM, 2x 1TB SSD RAID 1 (hardware controller, LSI SAS), 2x Quad-Port 10Gbe NIC per host.
    • 8TB vSAN stretched cluster across 10k RPM SAS drives
    • vSAN over 8-port LBT dvSwitch
    • Cisco 4506e with supVII
    • PMS Virtual Machine: Server 2016, 8 Virtual processors, 32GB RAM.
  • BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,277Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

If you do not want something to appear in generated feed "mute" it by clicking on channel tag. I believe the name of that might be changed to "block" to be a more clear on what it does.

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/articles/201869908-log-files/
  • beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,848Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@codeecb said:

@beckfield said:

If you had paid attention to what I wrote, you'd know that my request in no way limits anyone else's choices.

edited October 2017

@djumv said:

So? It can also be addressed without yours.

@djumv said:

So? It can also be addressed without your input.

• kupajavakupajava Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2017

I don't just want to be able to "mute" a story, I want to be able to completely block wing-nut "news" sources like the Blaze and never see them in the story selection!

Without the ability to remove right-wing propaganda blogs, the entire feature is useless to me and I will never use it.

I understand that this "news service" was not selected by the users but instead bundled by Plex to turn it's users into a product to sell to advertisers, but this makes me unwilling to use said service and therefore keeps Plex from properly monetizing my eyeballs.

Please allow me to block news-sources completely, otherwise, I will NEVER use the service.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,277Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@kupajava said:
    I don't just want to be able to "mute" a story, I want to be able to completely block wing-nut "news" sources like the Blaze and never see them in the story selection!

that is what muting does

• Frank LoganFrank Logan Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel Maybe you should have called it something else, other than mute, as that words already spoken for... it means to turn off sound. Can Plex not roll out a simple process? You should have called it block. Funny how words mean certain things.

2012 Samsung HT-E6730W Home Theater
    2012 Samsung UN46ES8000F TV, with attached 2014 Samsung Evolution Kit SEK-2000
    2015 Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6
    Kangaroo PC Pro, Windows 10, Plex Media Server, with 2TB Seagate HDD

@Frank Logan said:
    @BigWheel Maybe you should have called it something else, other than mute, as that words already spoken for... it means to turn off sound. Can Plex not roll out a simple process? You should have called it block. Funny how words mean certain things.

As I already stated above in this thread they are likely changing it to "block". I am not on the design team and can't say when that will happen.

• Frank LoganFrank Logan Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel rather, than say "likley", and get into the "not on the design team", think about this; you call Samsung customer support, and after hearing you out, the support rep says what you said. The average consumer would lose it. You are a Plex employee, which means to most users, you are "Plex". No one on this forum really wants canned answers; when an employee actually gets around to replying to a question, but as a consumer, I don't want, or need to hear/read classic buck passing. Presumably you are also a consumer. Don't give your customers, paid or otherwise, answers or statments you wouldn't want to hear told to yourself by others... it just gets peoples dander up.

2012 Samsung HT-E6730W Home Theater
    2012 Samsung UN46ES8000F TV, with attached 2014 Samsung Evolution Kit SEK-2000
    2015 Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6
    Kangaroo PC Pro, Windows 10, Plex Media Server, with 2TB Seagate HDD

• giopasgiopas Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel said:
    If you do not want something to appear in generated feed "mute" it by clicking on channel tag. I believe the name of that might be changed to "block" to be a more clear on what it does.

Sorry to come back on this, but I cannot see where the "mute" option is... :blush: