If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FireTV2, multi-channel AC3 coming out as stereo

SystemSystem Posts: 227 Plex Employee
This discussion was created from comments split from: Skipping audio on Fire tv 4k box.

Comments

• padestepadeste Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex

A new release of Plex was done on the 8th of August on Amazon, do you know if that fix the stereo issue (5.1 is playout out as stereo only in app 6.2.1.1036)?

Thank you

Chris

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,895Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@padeste said:
    A new release of Plex was done on the 8th of August on Amazon, do you know if that fix the stereo issue (5.1 is playout out as stereo only in app 6.2.1.1036)?

Yes, the latest release through the Amazon app store (6.3.3) fixes the 5.1-> stereo issue.

@MovieFan.Plex
    Are you really sure? I have just tested with the latest Plex server release 1.8.0.4109 (By the way it seems that the update mechanism is broken as my plex server 1.7.6 was unable to see a new release was available) and the latest Plex Amazon fire TV app.

I have put some screenshots
    Amazon Fire TV 4K setup and version

Plex app version and sound setup

Movie info and sound playout using Plex app on my HiFi (HDMI from Amazon Fore TV 4k to TV and optical from LG TV to HiFI)

Move info and sound playout using Kodi with same setup

So could you check please as I have no idea if this issue is fixed why it does not work again on my setup

Thank you

Chris

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,895Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@padeste said:
    @MovieFan.Plex
    Are you really sure? I have just tested with the latest Plex server release 1.8.0.4109 (By the way it seems that the update mechanism is broken as my plex server 1.7.6 was unable to see a new release was available) and the latest Plex Amazon fire TV app.

Ah. You have it hooked to the TV then out through optical. Yeah, that's not going to work. The Plex app needs to detect the capabilities of the device, which it can't do when connected through optical. Kodi is different in that it doesn't detect capabilities but just passes through everything, even if unsupported.

Try and check the audio settings for your TV itself.

For the PMS update, do you have Web set to check for Plex Pass updates? 1.8.0 is only Plex Pass right now.

@MovieFan.Plex
    To be honest I am a bit surprised by the answer as this setup worked before without any issue with the Plex app.

Here is my current setup on my TV and I have played around with my sound setup (optical only, PCM. Dolby Digital Plus ...) but still with only stereo sound out.

So if you are sure the new version fixed the stereo issue, I have no idea what I can do anymore

Chris

• TrickyZ33TrickyZ33 Posts: 18Members ✭✭

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Can you tell me what firmware your FTV2 is running? I'm wondering if Amazon updated their firmware.

Last time I checked on July 31st, I was running Fire OS 5.2.4.2, Plex Client 6.2.1.1036 (3.8.0), Plex Server 1.5.7.4016

and there is a new Plex Client update I haven't downloaded yet.

@padeste said:
    @MovieFan.Plex
    To be honest I am a bit surprised by the answer as this setup worked before without any issue with the Plex app.

Here is my current setup on my TV and I have played around with my sound setup (optical only, PCM. Dolby Digital Plus ...) but still with only stereo sound out.

So if you are sure the new version fixed the stereo issue, I have no idea what I can do anymore

Chris

To be clear, the issue that got fixed was that if the app detected that 5.1 channel audio was supported, it would still produce stereo. Now, if 5.1 support is detected, it will produce 5.1 audio. Detecting support through optical has never worked great. There may be a problem with the detection. Try plugging the optical cable out and back in while Plex is running. If the app is able to detect the optical connection, this should trigger an update to the audio capabilities. You'll need to provide me the log from the Plex app so I can check if this triggered the app. Let me know approximately what time you do this. If the app doesn't detect the change, it could be a new bug or something changed with your TV so it's not relaying the connection info back to the Plex app.

@TrickyZ33 said:

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Can you tell me what firmware your FTV2 is running? I'm wondering if Amazon updated their firmware.

Last time I checked on July 31st, I was running Fire OS 5.2.4.2, Plex Client 6.2.1.1036 (3.8.0), Plex Server 1.5.7.4016

Nothing new there so I'm surprised 5.1 AC3 is working for you.

@TrickyZ33 said:
    and there is a new Plex Client update I haven't downloaded yet.

6.3.3 was just released on the Amazon app store a few days ago.

@MovieFan.Plex
    Thank you for the hint on the PMS setting.

I have no problem to do the test but could you point out where I will be able to find the log on my Amazon Fire TV 4K and also what is the most convenient way for you to receive it?

Thank you

Chris

@padeste said:
    could you point out where I will be able to find the log on my Amazon Fire TV 4K and also what is the most convenient way for you to receive it?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201573117

You can post it here, or if you don't want to share publicly, you can message them directly to me. Click on my name, then on the next screen, click message near the top.

edited August 13

@MovieFan.Plex

Here are the logs, I have attached the optical at 12.17 and remove and attached again at 12.18 but without any change in sound (stereo only).

Let me know if you have all info you need

Thank you

Chris

@MovieFan.Plex

Do you have all the info you needed and do you have some feedabcks what the issue could be?

Thank you

Chris

• R3dbvllR3dbvll Posts: 24Members ✭✭
    edited August 20

I don't know if this is relevant or helpful, but on the Fire TV stick Gen 2 (which I think uses the same version of the app), dolby audio passthrough is still producing stereo sound. I have the latest version installed (6.3.3).
    I have to force audio transcoding to AAC (which on the Fire Stick causes odd video issues, reported in another thread).

My mistake, I just checked, I'm on 6.3.4.

@padeste said:
    Do you have all the info you needed and do you have some feedabcks what the issue could be?

Hey, looking through your logs, it shows that the video is direct playing your AC3 audio. If this isn't coming out as 5.1 then it might be the Fire TV device itself. Check the audio setting from the Fire's main settings page and make sure it is set to output multi-channel sound.

@MovieFan.Plex
    Thank you for that and I am looking now with Amazon why it does not work anymore.

@MovieFan.Plex

Hi,
    Check my device and also with Amazon. I can play video from Amazon video store in 5.1AC3 no problem. So not sure what else I can check as my Amazon Fire TV 4K is setup for Dolby Digital Plus.

Could you advice please what I need to do next?

Thank you

Chris

edited August 28

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@padeste said:
    @MovieFan.Plex

Chris

To be clear, the issue that got fixed was that if the app detected that 5.1 channel audio was supported, it would still produce stereo. Now, if 5.1 support is detected, it will produce 5.1 audio. Detecting support through optical has never worked great. There may be a problem with the detection. Try plugging the optical cable out and back in while Plex is running. If the app is able to detect the optical connection, this should trigger an update to the audio capabilities. You'll need to provide me the log from the Plex app so I can check if this triggered the app. Let me know approximately what time you do this. If the app doesn't detect the change, it could be a new bug or something changed with your TV so it's not relaying the connection info back to the Plex app.

Turns out that mine was NOT fixed after all... merely just outputing what I thought was 5.1 as stereo. I have now finally changed my whole home theater setup, using a Denon amp, and sadly it just shows stereo.

I haven't done the app update lately, I thought there was at least 1 waiting to D/L.

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@padeste said:
    @MovieFan.Plex

Chris

I downloaded the latest update of the Plex app last night. I am still getting stereo output when I should be getting 5.1.

• spiderlanespiderlane Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same for me. I've basically ditched the standalone Plex client and now use the Plex plugin inside SPMC (which gives me DTS output too). It's not perfect as there are features missing but it plays everything I have with the right audio streams.