If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is it possible to move recordings on an Nvidia Shield to another Plex Server?

caddyskackcaddyskack Posts: 16Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

Though the Nvidia Shield did a fairly good job as a Plex Server, I hit a fair number of issues with apps crashing and sync issues. I believe this is largely due to the fact I have an external hard drive attached to the shield (which I believe is not recommended).

I now have a new Windows PC to act as a new server, and I was hoping to set it up this weekend. That said, I have a bunch of recordings on the Shield I was hoping to transfer over first.

Does anyone know if it is possible to move Plex DVR recordings from an Android device to a Windows PC? I have been unable to find any information on it online.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Cody

Best Answer

• rouqrouq Posts: 352Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 7 Accepted Answer

Did you adopt the drive or just attached the external drive to the Shield?

If the external drive has been adopted, then the content is encrypted. Make sure that the "on the network" switch in the Shield settings/storage is activated. From your computer, open a file explorer window and enter this "\\shield\". Then navigate into the library folder and copy your recordings.

More info here
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4172/~/how-do-i-share-shield-tv-folders-with-a-pc

If the drive was only attached, eventhough you can do exactly the same procedure as described above, it will be faster if you unplug the drive from the Shield and plug it directly on your computer.

Answers

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,134Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

PMS treats DVR'd content the same a any other. Just move the files to your Windows machine and treat them as a regular TV Show library.

• caddyskackcaddyskack Posts: 16Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks MovieFan.Plex.

The issue I have hit is that I am unsure how to pull the files from the Nvidia Shield. From a standard windows computer, I can't seem to get into the specific files of the shield.

I am no expert, so I might be missing something simple

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    PMS treats DVR'd content the same a any other. Just move the files to your Windows machine and treat them as a regular TV Show library.

• rouqrouq Posts: 352Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 7 Accepted Answer

Did you adopt the drive or just attached the external drive to the Shield?

If the external drive has been adopted, then the content is encrypted. Make sure that the "on the network" switch in the Shield settings/storage is activated. From your computer, open a file explorer window and enter this "\\shield\". Then navigate into the library folder and copy your recordings.

More info here
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4172/~/how-do-i-share-shield-tv-folders-with-a-pc

If the drive was only attached, eventhough you can do exactly the same procedure as described above, it will be faster if you unplug the drive from the Shield and plug it directly on your computer.

Thanks rouq,

I was able to access the data. I hit a snag trying to setup the new server in Windows 10, so I am going to have to retry when I have a little more time.

Thanks,
    Cody

Just wanted to follow-up that I have everything up and running on the new Windows 10 server. Thanks for your help