Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Streaming 4K (2160p) MKV/H.265 from Synology Plex server to ATV 4K Plex client

delphi8000delphi8000 Posts: 14Members ✭✭
edited October 2017 in Apple TV

There is no way for me to either "directplay" ot "directstream" a 4K MKV/H.265 media from my Synology Plex server to the Apple TV 4K Plex client (all my movies are stored in my Synology).

When I do that, the Plex server perform transcoding.

I use PlexPy while the MKV video format is being streamed to the ATV 4K to determine whether or not transcoding is taking place.

My 1815+ Synology being obviously not powerful enough for 4K transcoding, I have a non functional setup (Synology+ATV 5+LG OLED) 4k setup.

However, I can perfectly stream 4K MKV/H.265 media from my Synology to the Apple TV 4K by using Infusion 5.

So, bye bye Plex and hello Infuse...

Can anyone explain me the technical reason 4K streaming to ATV 5 does not work with Plex but it works with Infuse?

Answers

• hatflixhatflix Posts: 402Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Explain? Not sure I can do that. I will tell you that I have full sized .mkz rips for 90%+ of my media and the video will direct play, but the audio doesn’t. Is the server transcoding the audio or video? I do not think audio uses that much resources. I have Apple TV 4’s and a i5-3770k computer.

Infuse is actually nice. I’ve started playing with it since the privacy issues came up. But we use the mobile sync so that only solves half the problem. . .

• delphi8000delphi8000 Posts: 14Members ✭✭

@hatflix said:

Is the server transcoding the audio or video?

Both audio and video.

• dreamer81dreamer81 Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex server does not support 4k yet. Please wait, they are working their **** off to fix this bug.

@dreamer81 Thank you!

Do you mean Plex server does yet not support 4K at all or was your answer related to the combination of Plex sever with Apple TV 4K?

What about Plex server to Nvidia Shield?

@delphi8000 said:
    @dreamer81 Thank you!

Do you mean Plex server does yet not support 4K at all or was your answer related to the combination of Plex sever with Apple TV 4K?

What about Plex server to Nvidia Shield?

I was only referring to the combination Plex and Appletv 5.

The plex team "forgot" to update the apple tv profile to support direct streaming when playing 4k material in the mp4 container, as this is supported out of the box. They are currently working on getting 4k content to play when using mkv container as well.

@dreamer81 Thank you again !

I will then use Infuse while waiting for the plex team to update the apple tv profile.

Any additional information regarding the combination Plex and Appletv 5 and the timing for such update would be very much appreciated!

• zerolim1tzerolim1t Posts: 411Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

https://firecore.com/infuse is the only thing that can direct play 4K content without buffer. Smooth playback but! no ATMOS audio

• Media Center
    • ZeroFlixs.com
    • i5 System 16gigs ram 50 TB 
    • Movies | Tv Shows | Boxing | UFC | Stand-up | Documentaries | Broadway |
  • intothemildintothemild Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

infuse has no HDR right now

@intothemild said:
    infuse has no HDR right now

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, are you kidding me!

• rayg1979rayg1979 Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was going to buy the new Apple TV 4K but I cant stream my 4K films via plex on it???

Do we know if this is being fixed this week/month/year/century???

Ray

• JesseKing3JesseKing3 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does anyone have a successful atv profile to stream directly?

@rayg1979 said:
    I was going to buy the new Apple TV 4K but I cant stream my 4K films via plex on it???

Do we know if this is being fixed this week/month/year/century???

Ray

it will be fixed. Time is not possible to say.

• BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 287Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2017

2160p support is in the 1.18 beta. I've only got a 4th gen 1080p device, not the 4K one so I can't tell you how well it works.

• AlveyAlvey Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2017

How do you get the beta versions? I get the beta on my phone but never get the tv one. Have Test Flight on both.

• BigMac7400BigMac7400 Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@JesseKing3 said:
    Does anyone have a successful atv profile to stream directly?

I've got the new Apple TV 4k, and with modifying the tvOS.xml profile on the server, I can now play my 4k H.265 HDR files like a charm. Go see this thread to get the instruction: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/283275/is-hevc-already-in-the-apple-tv-4-profile#latest

• xchaffronxchaffron Posts: 4Members Plex Pass

hi, anyone has the answer? :# :# :#

• moviemastermoviemaster Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

any updates on this topic?

• kclimiekclimie Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2017

Yes, it is possible to Direct Play 4K content to the Apple TV. Both H.264 and HEVC content works, but the media must follow some very specific guidelines.

It must be in an MP4 container.
    The resolution must not be greater than 3840 × 2160.
    If the video codec is HEVC, the FourCC must be hvc1.
    The audio must be in a format native to the Apple TV (AAC, AC3, E-AC3, MP3).
    The subtitles must be in an Apple TV compatible format (text based (mov_text, tx3g, ttxt, text), PGS will not work).
    You must edit the tvOS.XML file on the Plex Media Server.
    In the Plex client you probably need to set the Video Quality for Home (and possibly Internet) to Maximum, as the 20Mb default will probably not be enough.

If all of the above is not met, the server will transcode it to 1080p.

The tvOS.xml file I use to stream 4K content is below.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Client name="tvOS">
      <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
      <!-- This profile is used by A8-based tvOS devices -->
      <Settings>
        <Setting name="DirectPlayStreamSelection" value="true" />
        <Setting name="StreamUnselectedIncompatibleAudioStreams" value="true" />
      </Settings>
      <TranscodeTargets>
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,ac3,mp3" context="streaming" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
        <SubtitleProfile protocol="hls" container="webvtt" subtitleCodec="webvtt"/>
      </TranscodeTargets>
      <DirectPlayProfiles>
        <VideoProfile container="mp4,m4v" codec="hevc,h265,h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac,he-aac,ac3,eac3,flac" subtitleCodec="mov_text,tx3g,ttxt,text" />
        <!-- Since tvOS may have issues direct playing mov/*/eac3 it has its own profile  -->
        <VideoProfile container="mov" codec="hevc,h265,h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac,he-aac,ac3,flac" subtitleCodec="mov_text,tx3g,ttxt,text" />
        <!-- Allow Direct Play of HLS content  -->
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,he-aac,ac3,eac3,flac" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac,he-aac,ac3,eac3,flac" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
      </DirectPlayProfiles>
      <CodecProfiles>
      <VideoCodec name="hevc">
         <Limitations>
           <UpperBound name="video.width" value="3840" isRequired="true" />
           <UpperBound name="video.height" value="2160" isRequired="true" />
           <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="10" />
         </Limitations>
       </VideoCodec>
       <VideoCodec name="h265">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.width" value="3840" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="2160" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="10" />
          </Limitations>
       </VideoCodec>
       <VideoCodec name="*">
         <Limitations>
           <UpperBound name="video.width" value="3840" />
           <UpperBound name="video.height" value="2160" />
         </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoAudioCodec name="*">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="8" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoAudioCodec>
      </CodecProfiles>
    </Client>

• tommy99953tommy99953 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you in advance. Where do I add the above code to on my computer? I am going to purchase an AppleTv 4k in a few days and I wanted to know the appropriate settings for file conversion. Additionally I am looking for an improvement to handbrake that will just take all the files in a folder, convert them and spit them out in a lossless manner. Any Thoughts?

• ExaskyExasky Posts: 19Members ✭✭

The tvOS.xml file located in $PLEX_HOME_FOLER/Resources/Profiles/
    Handbrake have a 'folder' option (https://techhelphome.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/handbrake-how-to-easily-convert-multiple-files/)