If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Roku app crashing when playing MKV files

demsddemsd Posts: 7Members ✭✭

Within the last week or so, the Plex Roku app started crashing when playing MKV files. Anyone experiencing similar issue?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• rukiddinrukiddin Posts: 67Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Yes, it seems to be a problem with the latest Roku firmware update.. I'm experiencing the same thing, but on nearly all file types. Movies or TV Shows start up, run for about 1 minute, and then the roku crashes and resets. Watching shows on Amazon doesn't seem to be affected.

Plex Media Server running on UNRAID Server with 25 TB ( Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, ASRock - Z97 Extreme6 MOBO, 16GB Ram)

Using Multiple Roku Clients, 2 iPad Airs, , 2 iPad Minis, 4 iPhones, Xbox 360, Xbox One

Also running Sonarr, Couch Potato, Radarr, Headphones, SABNZBD, PlexPy, OpenVPN, Hydra, and others.. mostly Dockers

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,700Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

The problem with the Roku firmware issues is that they are so random and seem to be affecting only some boxes and some media. And you are more likely to see issues within Plex even if it is caused by firmware, because the media accessed through Plex varies much more than the media you access through other Roku apps/channels. So it makes isolating issues very difficult right now.

If this is media that should and is direct playing on the Plex App for Roku, try playing a couple of the media files that are crashing Plex directly from the Roku Media Player and see if you have the same issues when you play that media directly from the Roku Media Player.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

Answers

• rukiddinrukiddin Posts: 67Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Yes, it seems to be a problem with the latest Roku firmware update.. I'm experiencing the same thing, but on nearly all file types. Movies or TV Shows start up, run for about 1 minute, and then the roku crashes and resets. Watching shows on Amazon doesn't seem to be affected.

Plex Media Server running on UNRAID Server with 25 TB ( Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, ASRock - Z97 Extreme6 MOBO, 16GB Ram)

Using Multiple Roku Clients, 2 iPad Airs, , 2 iPad Minis, 4 iPhones, Xbox 360, Xbox One

Also running Sonarr, Couch Potato, Radarr, Headphones, SABNZBD, PlexPy, OpenVPN, Hydra, and others.. mostly Dockers

• demsddemsd Posts: 7Members ✭✭

I thought it had to be either a Roku or Plex app update because they were playing fine up until about 3-4 days ago, but didn't want to assume.

Thanks!

• buzzard199buzzard199 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I thought it was a ROKU issue as well but now I'm not so sure. I've delved into it a little deeper and I have been running ROKU firmware 7.7. build 4135 since August with no issues. Then on 9/26 when I got the new PLEX update, I'm no longer able to play a Plex file for more than a minute or two.

• PeanutmanPeanutman Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. It has happened to me with mkv and mpg files. My Roku software was updated on 8/25, but I didn't notice the issue until 9/29

• Macphoto1970Macphoto1970 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes the latest version for my Roku Stick is crashing also. I get about 1 minute into a movie and it crashes plex.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,700Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

The problem with the Roku firmware issues is that they are so random and seem to be affecting only some boxes and some media. And you are more likely to see issues within Plex even if it is caused by firmware, because the media accessed through Plex varies much more than the media you access through other Roku apps/channels. So it makes isolating issues very difficult right now.

If this is media that should and is direct playing on the Plex App for Roku, try playing a couple of the media files that are crashing Plex directly from the Roku Media Player and see if you have the same issues when you play that media directly from the Roku Media Player.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• dvdchancedvdchance Posts: 332Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 3

@shopgirl284 said:

I don't even think its the media thats causing the issue. I've had the Plex app close and go back to the main Roku screen twice just while navigating the menus, and once when I left the room with the Plex app on before I started watching anything.

It seems to play successfully if I restart the Roku box, either using the system restart from the menu or unplugging the power.

This is all since the 5.0.1 update. Roku FW 7.7 biuild 4135.

edited October 3

It's not Roku. Using shopgirl284's suggestion, I played an MKV file in Roku Media Player and it played fine for over 5 minutes before I stopped it. I played the same file from the Plex app and within a minute of it starting, Plex crashed and Roku returned to the Home screen.

• XyleneXylene Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am seeing this same issue, is there a fix yet?

• slodavis777slodavis777 Posts: 1Members

Having the same problem with Plex app v5.0 build 1 and Roku stick 3400X with v7.7.0 build 4135-05. After about a minute of playback of mkv file, the Plex app crashes, returning to the Roku main menu. The same mkv files that crash the Plex app play successfully using Roku Media Player or Plex apps for other devices (for example, tested successfully with Fire Stick and Android tablet). If I optimize the mkv file for playback in Plex server (producing an mp4 version) it will playback fine with Plex app on Roku.

Estimate this has been a problem for about a week or so... did not note the exact first occurrence. Any suggestions or a fix would be great. Otherwise, will have to use Roku Media Player as a workaround.

"_Support questions submitted through the contact form will go unanswere_d."

I always find it disconcerting when the ONLY way a company provides support is with a community forum.

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,835Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We are aware of a possible crash during playback and have isolated a fix for this. I'll try to send out a Plex Pass update shortly to see if this fixes the issue. The issue is specially related to playing and the Plex channel exiting to the home screen. Please stay tuned later today for the update. This

note: we can update the Plex Pass channel at will, once we verify the fix, we'll make sure to include it in the next official update.

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,835Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We are aware of a possible crash during playback and have isolated a fix for this. I'll try to send out a Plex Pass update shortly to see if this fixes the issue. The issue is specially related to playing and the Plex channel exiting to the home screen. Please stay tuned later today for the update. This

note: we can update the Plex Pass channel at will, once we verify the fix, we'll make sure to include it in the next official update.

So, users who don't have Plex Pass can suck it?

@demsd said:
    So, users who don't have Plex Pass can suck it?

The official update requires going through the Roku review process, which means it takes longer for that update to be released.

We've released an update to the Plex Pass preview channel - 5.0.2

FIXES:

• Possible crash during video playback.

Please let me know if the issue has been fixed.

edited October 4

Doesn't look like it's fixed. Just installed the new app it already crashed on me

• buzzard199buzzard199 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Didn't work for me either. Seems to crash at the same point (about a minute in) on my .mkv files. I restarted the ROKU before I installed in case that would help but it didn't.

@Peanutman and @buzzard199 can you open the Plex channel and go to settings. Please report the version number on the top right.

@ljunkie said:
    @Peanutman and @buzzard199 can you open the Plex channel and go to settings. Please report the version number on the top right.