If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sonos message: "Unsupported sample rate 96000 Hz". How to make Plex to encode FLAC files at 24/96?

andeugandeug Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

I am getting the below error which many users have reported it:

I have installed the Plex Server with PlexPass on my QNAP TS-453A server and I have many HighRes files purchased from HDTracks.com which I am unable to play them via Sonos Play:1 and Play:5. Does anyone has a fix for this? Is it a bug which needs to be solved, a setting which needs to be made or a feature that awaits implementation?

Your support would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Andreas

Answers

• jjrossjjross Posts: 403Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I’m shocked it’s working for you at all. Mine has been broken since Plex changed the authentication process (I think that’s when it broke).

I thought the PMS should transcode this for you anyway. You are using a Plex Server, right? I’m sorry, I don’t recognize the app you’re using. What is that?

• andeugandeug Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sonos FLAC songs with high encoding are working for me only if I use "Shuffle All" function, but not "browse by Artist", where the songs are being read and streamed in their original format. The screenshot I've made is for Sonos Player for Mac which shows me the same error message as the Sonos for iOS application.

• mm98mm98 Posts: 445Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2017

@andeug said:
    I have installed the Plex Server with PlexPass on my QNAP TS-453A server and I have many HighRes files purchased from HDTracks.com which I am unable to play them via Sonos Play:1 and Play:5. Does anyone has a fix for this? Is it a bug which needs to be solved, a setting which needs to be made or a feature that awaits implementation?

When i look at the audio formats supported by SONOS. There are limitations regarding sample rates:
    https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80/~/supported-audio-formats

Supported audio sample rates:

16000 Hz
    22050 Hz
    24000 Hz
    32000 Hz
    44100 Hz
    48000 Hz

Sonos supports audio files up to 16 bit.

I just tried to Play FLAC (44100 Hz) and DTS (WAV, 44100 Hz) on my Sonos. Both formats play here. I guess Plex isn't transcoding the audio (96000 Hz). I don't think, it is possible to transcode only sample rates in he current Plex profiles (config for each client).

Plex Media Server: QNAP TS-453 Pro (CPU Mark: 1864, Intel Celeron @ 1.99GHz Quad-Core, 8GB RAM, SSD, 2 x WD)
    Plex Media Clients: PlexWeb (app.plex.tv), Plex for LG, ChromeCast Ultra, iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro, Apple TV 4 and Sonos
    DVR Hardware: HDHomeRun EXPAND (HDHR3-4DC)
    Smart TV: LG UHD UH7500 (US) / UH750V (EU) (WebOS 3.0)

• andeugandeug Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sonos is not supporting higher resolution than 16bit/48KHz, but I am wondering if there a solution to fix this. This is the reason why I am getting that error message.

Does PLEX has a solution to my problem? Is it a software bug, or a setting which I can make particularly to use my Sonos players to downsample the music to 16bit/48KHz CD quality while being streamed to my players? I want to keep the original streaming quality on the other players which are able to read FLAC files.

• andycarverandycarver Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 18

@andeug said:
    Sonos is not supporting higher resolution than 16bit/48KHz, but I am wondering if there a solution to fix this. This is the reason why I am getting that error message.

Does PLEX has a solution to my problem? Is it a software bug, or a setting which I can make particularly to use my Sonos players to downsample the music to 16bit/48KHz CD quality while being streamed to my players? I want to keep the original streaming quality on the other players which are able to read FLAC files.

Could be a hardware limitation if it’s based on bit rate.