If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Problem with playback (following Read First above)

buzzard199buzzard199 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Like a lot of people, I've been having problems with playback using Plex on the ROKU. At first I thought it must be a ROKU issue but I'm pretty sure it might be a PLEX issue (at least for me).

I've been running Plex successfully on my ROKU 2XS on the ROKU 7.7 build 4135-02 since August. I still have that same ROKU firmware. On Monday Sept. 25, I was able to watch Plex videos with no issue. On Tuesday 9/26 Plex would run for a minute or two and stop. I'd either be sent to the ROKU home screen or the ROKU would completely reset. I've tried at least 6 other videos with the same result.

I am running PMS 1.9.2.4285 and App version 5.0 build 1 (which was updated for me on 9/26). I'm attaching the requested files. Hopefully it will help you eliminate this bug.

Answers

• PeanutmanPeanutman Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here on a 2XS. My Roku software was updated on 8/25, but I didn't notice the issue until 9/29, so it looks more like it has to do with the 5.0.1 app update.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,700Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

@buzzard199 since the XML file you attached is a MKV and the PMS logs do not appear to show any transcoding, could you try playing that media file that is crashing the Plex app directly from the Roku Media Player? Any media that direct plays on the Plex app for Roku should also play from the Roku Media Player. It could help see if there are any issues with the Roku firmware causing media playback issues.

Also see forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1528902/#Comment_1528902

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• buzzard199buzzard199 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have tried some of my files in Roku Media Player and they run fine. It has been my fallback player since Plex won't work for me. This is not just one file - it is all of my files. I've tried at least 6 if not more to see if I have the same issue. I also have transcoded all of my files so they direct play. It's just easier for me. I will check out the link now.

• buzzard199buzzard199 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just as a follow-up shopgirl284 - When you mentioned that it was an .mkv file I decided to check a couple of .mp4 files that I have. The three files I tested all played fine. I tried to play 3 .mkv files and they all stopped playing within a minute or two.

I'm not sure if that helps you narrow down any issues but thought I would let you know. But again - all files (mkv and mp4) were working fine on 9/25 and the mkv files stopped playing on 9/26 when my app was updated.

• threecrowscawing@msn.comthreecrowscawing@msn.com Posts: 12Members ✭✭

Having same issue...all videos stop after 2 minutes and screen goes out of Plex altogether. I've got the 2XS as well. Is there a way to undo the update?

• XombieplexXombieplex Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having this same issue with my main media PC and a Roku 2XS (7.7 firmware) that was playing fine as of two weekends ago. The Roku can play an episode through my very old 1.0.0 version laptop server, but won't play the same episode through the main PC for more than a minute or two before the Roku crashes to the home screen or forces a reboot.

Going forward to 1.9.3 and rolling back on the main PC by a couple of versions (1.8) hasn't resolved it either.

I haven't done a clean reinstall so I suspect something changed in a file that doesn't get removed during uninstall or it's a setting....¯_(ツ)_/¯

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,700Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

@buzzard199 said:
    Just as a follow-up shopgirl284 - When you mentioned that it was an .mkv file I decided to check a couple of .mp4 files that I have. The three files I tested all played fine. I tried to play 3 .mkv files and they all stopped playing within a minute or two.

I'm not sure if that helps you narrow down any issues but thought I would let you know. But again - all files (mkv and mp4) were working fine on 9/25 and the mkv files stopped playing on 9/26 when my app was updated.

The only other thing I can suggest trying would be increasing the video quality settings in your Plex App for Roku
    under Settings > Video > Local Quality (Local Quality - media on a local PMS, Remote Quality - media shared from another user's PMS, and Online Quality - online media accessed through channel plugins and Watch Later). I know that when this is set too low, it can cause media that should direct play to transcode. So it is worth a try.

Otherwise, someone with more specific knowledge of the Roku player software/SDK and how the player programming of the Plex app for Roku player may be different from the player programming of the Roku Media Player channel will have to review your issue and the documentation you have provided in this post to see if they can determine the exact cause.

I am just a volunteer. So I can help to make sure you have ruled out the basics and help you isolate and document the issue, but at this point someone more familiar with the specifics of the Plex player app programming will have to review this. And thank you for including the specifics detail and documentation about the issue you are having and your troubleshooting progress. That should help to isolate the issue and cause.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First

See Log Files

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,835Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We are running into a memory limitation issue on Roku 2XS/2XD and other seconds generation models. We released an update to our Plex Pass channel this morning to help alleviate some of those issues. It's possible a crash may still occur due to memory limitations. We are working with Roku on the final resolution, that may require changes on their end.

• logix7logix7 Posts: 9Members ✭✭

having the same issue. seem to be able to get around it by simply rebooting my roku before using plex. it works 9/10 times for me but still VERY annoying.

posting this in all the related posts. just trying to help everyone get by

• sdrobsdrob Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here on my Roku XS, was never a problem before but now I can't watch any videos using Plex without it crashing after a few minutes. Roku 3 works just fine though.

• threecrowscawing@msn.comthreecrowscawing@msn.com Posts: 12Members ✭✭

Tried increasing Video in Plex app on Roku but it didnt work. Plex Classic however works!