If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Random CPU spikes and network interruptions

So for a couple weeks now, The Plex App has started using a lot more CPU (usually < 1%) spiking up to 40% usage shortly after starting a stream from a Plex server on the local network, during this time, the App becomes unresponsive to controls but continues to play, continued clicking of controls results in the app crashing completely. Unfortunately I wouldn't really care about this minor inconvenience but whilst this is happening, all other network connections are disconnected / reset. Network usage is normally less than 20Mbps on a Gigabit network.

This occurs regardless of content being streamed. Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Posts: 394Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

sounds to me like your local sync cache is corrupted or something. have you tried uninstalling and removing every trace of plex on that machine then reinstalling it? (there are a couple of folders in the %AppData% folder that might cause the high spikes?

Answers

• lewisphillip1985@gmail.comlewisphillip1985@gmail.com Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Hi,
    I suggest you to check the link, if this could be of any use..
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279761/plex-web-app-causes-high-cpu-spike

• BiosphereBiosphere Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Thanks but I'm not using the web app, and all my content is streamable, and not being transcoded.

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Posts: 394Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

sounds to me like your local sync cache is corrupted or something. have you tried uninstalling and removing every trace of plex on that machine then reinstalling it? (there are a couple of folders in the %AppData% folder that might cause the high spikes?

• BiosphereBiosphere Posts: 3Members ✭✭

@chaosmaker said:

Thanks, your suggestion has worked a treat so far (%AppData% folders, already tried reinstalling obviously), I also moved the sync folder (just to be on the safe side) off the 960 EVO NVMe drive as I recently noticed that too was hitting 100% activity during those times (adding further credence to your suggestion of corrupted sync cache).

Thanks again for your time.