If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

App under-reporting available space...

cepiercecepierce Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since the iOS 11 upgrade, I've noticed that my Plex app is under-reporting the amount of space available on my iPad. I deleted all the content, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but it's still doing it. Is anybody else having this problem? Does anybody know of a fix or whether it's an iOS 11 problem or a Plex problem?

Best Answer

• chfredricksonchfredrickson Plex iOS Developer Posts: 35Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

What value are you seeing for space available on the sync settings screen and what values does Apple Settings > General > iPhone Storage give you?

It looks like Apple is showing more available space in Settings than it tells us is available on my end but want to be sure we're seeing the same thing.

• cepiercecepierce Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Currently my sync settings in the plex app shows 6.2 GB available and settings on my iPad shows 18.6 GB available.

• markacyrmarkacyr Posts: 133Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2017

@chfredrickson (or any other awesome member of the Plex Team) - Has there been any progress on this? I have been seeing the same thing but just dealing with it. It's very odd, as the gap of available between what iOS and Plex report seems to grow as more free space is cleared up. I was close to running out of space for a while and was paying close attention to this i.e. constantly running comparisons between IOS and Plex. For example, if I was down to 4GB of free space, Plex was showing me about 2GB. However, I spent some time clearing out a lot of large videos from my camera roll, old SMS attachments, etc. I got to the point where iOS was showing me 14GB free. However, I only see 9GB available in Plex. One would assume if systems files or other immovable things were the cause that the gap would be constant. But it widens as more space is freed up. As I was deleting things and checking Plex, in most cases Plex was showing about 50% of the iOS space available. At some point, Plex gained a little back. I would suspect that there is a more fundamental difference in the way Plex is calculating the space.

Didn't Apple switch the way it calculated free space from iOS 9 to 10? i think they moved from base 2 to base 10.

• cepiercecepierce Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

That sounds like a similar experience to mine. I spent some time chatting and a couple of phone calls with Apple Support to no avail too.

• n267n267 Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm experiencing this problem using iOS 11 as well. Any new developments regarding this case?

• nztravellernztraveller Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any update on this? It really is a big issue. I'm going travelling and would like to sync a large number of movies, but Plex is only saying I have 4.5 GB free when the OS shows I have 12GB.

• babycorn81babycorn81 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Following up as well as I am too facing this issue.