If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Unable to seek transcoded streams in Plex Media Player

TobithTobith Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello, I am a relatively new Plex user, and so far I am really liking the software.

I have run into an issue when using the Plex Media Player on Windows, and I want to know if I'm just doing something wrong, if this is a new issue, or if it's just a long-term problem with the software that I can't do anything about. The issue is that I am unable to seek when doing any kind of transcoding. If I am playing media without transcoding (Original quality) then it works fine. But when transcoding, all of the seek options (e.g. jump forward or backward, or using the location bar) don't work. This issue happens on two systems, one running Windows 7 and one running Windows 10, so I don't think it's a system issue.

The logs show this when I try to seek:
2017-10-03 07:17:09 [ DEBUG ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 526 - cplayer: Run command: seek, flags=0, args=[3790.000000, absolute+exact, unused]
2017-10-03 07:17:09 [ ERROR ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 532 - cplayer: Cannot seek in this file.
2017-10-03 07:17:09 [ ERROR ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 532 - cplayer: You can forcibly enable it with '--force-seekable=yes'.

Other apps don't seem to have this problem (I have tried Roku and the Windows 10 store Plex app, and it worked fine). Is this just normal with the Plex Media Player?

Thanks for any guidance!

Tagged:

Answers