If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Ubuntu 16.04 and official Docker image] System.bundle stops responding

j3lj3l Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having an issue with Plex Media Server, including versions 1.7.3.3937 through current, 1.9.3.4290. I originally had the issue under a native install in Ubuntu 16.04, so I tried moving to docker (where I am now), and the issue persisted.

Symptoms:
1) Matching stops working. Automatic matching doesn't match anything, and trying to match manually results in a timeout (There was a problem...)
2) Server settings page cannot be loaded (Results in "Server settings are unavailable.")
3) Content art doesn't display for random selection of items (locally cached works, maybe?) Displays the gray PC monitor look'n icon instead of the art.

This can occur after a couple days of uptime, or a few hours, it seems entirely random. I've had to setup cron to originally restart plex, and now restart the docker container, nightly. Even so, it still can happen within the 24 hour window, sometimes as early as a few hours after startup.

I've determined the System.bundle appears to be to blame. In the logs, the problem is indicated by a lot of curl_easy_perform timeout errors, all against the current port System.bundle is listening on, as shown in the attached log file. The com.plexapp.system.log shows nothing eventful going on, and a strace on the process shows just a bunch of what appear to be busylooping threads. In a normal, non-docker install, the issue can be resolved by killing the pid of the System.bundle python instance, and letting plex re-spawn it. This doesn't seem to work for a docker instance, as it doesn't appear to respawn the process.

I've had this issue since at least 1.7.3.3937 (the latest I made notes from), up to the most current version, 1.9.3.4290. It occurs both under a standard install in Ubuntu 16.04, and the official Plex docker image. The library was preserved during the move to docker, and I have checked the sqlite databases for any corruption, and they all seem to check out.

~Thanks!

Comments

• DuncanjcDuncanjc Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've the same issue as this.

Symptoms:
    1) Matching stops working. Automatic matching doesn't match anything, and trying to match manually results in a timeout (There was a problem...)

If I reboot my Unraid server I can match one or two files, but after that, I get the same issue.

• j3lj3l Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This has happened twice more since posting, even with nightly restarts. I did confirm I was able to clear the issue, even in docker, by killing com.plexapp.system. As soon as I killed it, the artwork started fully populating in the library views, and Settings/Server started loading. After hitting Settings/Server, the com.plexapp.system process was respawned automatically.

I'd really love some Plex dev insight here, it feels like its getting stuck waiting for some external event, but I have no idea how to determine what that is. I am familiar with python, but not Plex's framework.