If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

iOS app won't connect to server when not on local wifi

cpalmaatc@gmail.comcpalmaatc@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

So this may belong in the serve forum, but I think it's more of an iOS app problem. Here's what I have:
When I'm on the same network as my media server, everything in the app works fine, connects with no issues, and all my files play fine.

When I'm on a different network, or on LTE connection, the iOS app on my iPhone 7 plus shows "Couldn't connect to server." Now before everyone tells me how to set-up remote connection on Plex, I can guarantee that's not the issue. If I go through the Chrome web browser on the same iPhone and pull up the plex Web App (and select request desktop page), I can access everything normally and everything plays, no matter what network I'm on.

I'm betting theres a setting or something I missed on the iOS app that I need to fix. This is my first iPhone, always been a samsung guy until this last upgrade. Thanks for any help you all can give!

Answers

• rsavarsava Posts: 2,769Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Did you try logging out of the Plex app and logging back in?
    Are you sure you're logged in with the correct credentials?

Since you give no information on what you have done or what your settings are, kind of difficult to help except to throw a bunch of crap on the wall and see what sticks.

R Sava

• Ed.KEd.K Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 27

Exactly the same as me. I recently changed my account name though and was thinking it was perhaps a credential thing. I got a new iPhone at the same time and updated PMS to whatever the version was there on Oct 15/18 so there are too many variables to narrow down the cause . I have multiple users so while iPhone was away, on LTE, I selected another account, it logged in fine, then I went back to the one that wasn’t working and I got in fine. I did not enter in any credentials though, for what it’s worth, so it can’t be wrong crendials, perhaps resubmitting did the trick.

I hope it helps. Ed

• joe.1309joe.1309 Posts: 7Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 14

+1 same issue here, just happen to notice today. Can confirm iOS app issue only so far. Along with web page loading as stated above. Andriod and other OSs work.

Edit: this was not just isolated to my server, my friends servers also showed offline.
    Tried logging out/in but now I'm unable to logging back in on the iOS app. So maybe that's the stem of the issue, even though you are logged in, your account on the app is in error state like it's not logged in, or it can't authenticate.