If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple TV Directplay vs Transcode

strider209strider209 Posts: 1Members

I've been using Plex for a while but not an advanced user. I'm using PMS and when the client is a computer or an Nvidia Shield, it appears all the content I've ever tried playing uses directplay. I had an ATV 4th gen until a few months ago and some files would get transcoded. I know for certain WTV files get transcoded. I know the ATV is capable of playing back WTV with no issues since they work when I use VLC. I now have an ATV 4k and I'm getting the same issue. WTV playback works but if I fast forward a show there is a pause while I wait for PMS to transcode. If I use VLC, playback is fine.

Answers

• darciliciousdarcilicious Posts: 751Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 4

Plex uses the native Apple TV video player which does NOT support WTV files.

Other videos players such as VLC, Infusion, etc, use their own video player which (I believe) transcodes the videos on the client side.

Video Formats:
    H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.2 or lower

H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

• dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 636Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

ATV will also play HEVC h.265 up to 1080 60 with a one line mod to the config file without transcoding

• bbv2888bbv2888 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dragonmel said:
    ATV will also play HEVC h.265 up to 1080 60 with a one line mod to the config file without transcoding

Please share.. I'm using PMS on Windows 10.

• dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 636Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bbv2888

there is a thread right here in the appletv section that tells you everything you need to know. and over on reddit as well...

• BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So that those who are watching / have notifications set for this thread know. Latest. v1.18 beta build has the "direct play" toggle returned to the app.

• jchhendersonjchhenderson Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dragonmel said:
    @bbv2888

there is a thread right here in the appletv section that tells you everything you need to know. and over on reddit as well...

I think this is the thread in question.