If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Rasplex + Hifiberry : SPDIF and HDMI sound at the same time

temperdutemperdu Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Context:

• Raspberry 3 + Hifiberry Digi with SPDIF
  • I'm currently using Rasplex only as a HiFi receiver (I only saw the UI once, during setup)
  • Now I'd like to use my Rasplex for video as well

My Rasplex is currently configured so as to output sound on the Hifiberry SPDIF. It works perfectly. Thank you Mr Rasplex ! For some reason, my A/V amplifier is unable to take an HDMI video input and a SPDIF audio input to output video on my projector and sound on my speakers : if I use HDMI for video, then I need to use HDMI for audio as well. So for video watching, no choice : it needs to be a full HDMI signal. But for HiFi, I need to keep SPDIF as well.

So my question is : How can I make my Rasplex output sound on the HDMI and on the Hifiberry SPDIF at the same time ?

Answers

• jacriderjacrider Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am not sure you can do this. I think you are looking at another RPi3 to run your video. Obviously no HifiBerry products needed as all you require is the HDMI output.

• bpgoabpgoa Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 20

deep Alsa understanding required... I've never tried it but it should be possible given enough linux fu... this will start you down the road...

http://www.bohica.net/main/raspberry-pi/raspberry-how-to/266-alsa-sound-device-sharing

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 611Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree with @jacrider just from a user's point of view, simply because you always have to select the respective output and only one of them is used at a time (same for HDMI and headphone jack I suppose).

• temperdutemperdu Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bpgoa said:
    deep Alsa understanding required... I've never tried it but it should be possible given enough linux fu... this will start you down the road...

As far as I understood, HDMI is not managed by ALSA in the Pi3 but by some kind od low level thing. But I'll try !!!

@jacrider @bpgoa : I'd like to avoid buying a second Pi ;) And no HDMI is not enough as far as HiFi is concerned. I need up to 196/24 for music, HDMI (audio+video) for movies.

• bpgoabpgoa Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

let us know how you get on....

• temperdutemperdu Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No time right now sorry. But as soon as I've tried, I promise I let you know.