If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for Playstation support and future development

r0cky0ngr0cky0ng Posts: 13Members ✭✭

So, PS4 system update 5.0 has been released and there is still no word on what our beloved media player has in the oven for us. I really wish this post can get somebody from Plex to give us some sort of information on what the plan is for the Playstation platform. I really do understand it is super challenging to support lots of these different platforms and give them the quality we are all expecting, and I do know the fact that Sony is probably not the most friendly nor easy to work with. However, I feel it has been too silent and too little information being shared here, there is not even any acknowledgement of bugs and issues that’s been plaguing the PS player.

Can any of Plex’s people respond to this? at least tell us if it is indeed an abandoned project and won’t get any support moving forward so people can stop hoping and start looking for alternatives

Answers

• psychowoodpsychowood Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@r0cky0ng said:
    at least tell us if it is indeed an abandoned project and won’t get any support moving forward so people can stop hoping and start looking for alternatives

What do you mean? I'm on PS4 v5.0 and it works quite well. I'm having only two issues:
    -the impossibility to use subtitles
    -Plex App crashes on resume if it was running when the PS4 entered Rest mode.

• r0cky0ngr0cky0ng Posts: 13Members ✭✭

i certainly won’t call it “well”when the app is having those 2 behaviors you mentioned. in fact, almost (if not all) every other version can display subtitle just fine. i would actually think that subtitle is one of the basic functions that must work before releasing the app to public.

now, as an engineer myself, i know how hard it is to write a fully functional program not to mention supporting the gazillions different platforms out there. however, the silence and overpromise that plex is showing here is just over the top. i wouldn’t release anything to the general public if it’s half working like the current version. i would keep it to a closed number of “beta testers” while working out the kinks. again i am not talking about hevc or the new updated ui that other platform seems to also be getting already. this is just a simple platform stability and basic function like subtitle.

anyhow, I didn’t mean to rant here. All I want to hear is a simple statement from plex that they are still seeing playstation as a supported platform and will continue to develop or fix bugs. that’s all