If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Code for logging in to certain channels

This has (sort of) been asked before, but never really answered as far as I can tell.

There are several channels that now require a user to login. PBS is one of them, so you can watch content in HD. What would the code be that I can add to the .json config file that would actually log me into the PBS system (for example)?

I ask, because other plugin developers for other media players/servers have solved this issue, but the coding is completely different (yes, I am talking about Kodi).

Any help??

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,699Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja
    edited October 6

And just to clarify it a little more.

When creating a Plex channel, you can only request the raw data provided by the online source (the same data that online source uses to populate its web pages). You then use the Plex plugin framework/API to create the menus, listings, metadata, and media from that raw data you have requested and pulled from the online source.

Therefore to access any data specific to a user or login, you would have to determine a method for sending user authentication data as part of that request for the raw data. And the majority of online sources do not openly provide access to the user authentication methods used to access their raw data.

Other media player programs may provide methods to bypass the need to send user authentication data by replicating a browser interface, using Flash, or Webkit. But, the Plex plugins framework/API does not provide any means of replicating a browser interface. And Plex does not use or support Flash or Webkit.

The specific methods that must be used when accessing data and creating Plex channel plugins are why Plex channel plugins appear much cleaner, more easily navigatable, and usually require less resources than the online media offered by other media programs. But it also makes the methods necessary to access the data to populate these channel plugins much more difficult.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• sydbatsydbat Posts: 2Members

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. It has truly answered a ton of questions.