If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Fire TV 4k + Plex + 4K TV = Problem/bug

AlacardjrAlacardjr Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited October 10 in Android TV & Amazon Fire TV

I Found a problem/bug, Ok first the setup.

1) If you hold Select & Down Arrow (at the same time) for 5 sec. then release and push the menu button a dev menu pops up.
2) Enable System X-ray (it will show you system stats)
3) If you look on the top left you will see where it shows you what mode the fire tv is currently in

Ok now the problem, from what i read on the forum is that fire tv dont switch to 4k mode unless you have a 4k h.265 movie playing, from what i found out this is false. If you open youtube app, as soon as you open the app you will see that the fire tv switched to 4k mode (but when you open plex it stays in 1080 mode). So saying that the only way to get to 4k mode is to play a 4k h.265 movie is not true. If plex program the plex client to start in 4k mode even if you play a 1080p movie/show/whatever it will be played in 4k mode (test it open youtube and play a 1080 video it stays in 4k mode it dont switch). So people like me who have 4k movies in H.264 format, if fixed, will be able to watch them in true 4k. Would love to hear back from a dev about this or anyone else.

Edit: Reference https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/4k-apis-for-hdmi-mode-switch.html

Answers

• tjparkertjparker Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've noticed the same thing with my Plex app for FireTV v2. Trying to stream a H265 4k file from Plex Cloud. It plays fine, no buffering, no skipping, but will only play in 1080p. I can't for the life of my get the TV to recognise it as a 4K file. YouTube, as you mention, automatically switches to 4K mode.

I've used the steps above, and mine is outputting in 1080p 60FPS (HDCP 2.2) with a HEVC 3840x2160 movie file.

• AlacardjrAlacardjr Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tjparker said:
    I've noticed the same thing with my Plex app for FireTV v2. Trying to stream a H265 4k file from Plex Cloud. It plays fine, no buffering, no skipping, but will only play in 1080p. I can't for the life of my get the TV to recognise it as a 4K file. YouTube, as you mention, automatically switches to 4K mode.

I've used the steps above, and mine is outputting in 1080p 60FPS (HDCP 2.2) with a HEVC 3840x2160 movie file.

I was running in to the same problem, so did some research and found the dev menu. Im hoping devs fix this problem/bug. seeing as they advertise that plex on fireTV v2 support 4k when in truth it dont. Im going to chuck this up to amazon change the way 4k works in a firmware update, and not plex lying to its customer. Im hoping this gets fixed ASAP seeing how slow plex devs are to fix bugs sometimes <.<