If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMS 1.9.3 crashes while idle and/or syncing

KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,910Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey guys,

for the past few days my PMS has been crashing regularly while idle (with ongoing sync jobs in the bacground because I sync "unwatched only" so it syncs when I watch an episode). Happened with 1.9.2, continued with 1.9.3. Seems to coincide with the moment hardware transcoding was activated...

Here's a log of my most recent crash. I see some mentiong of transcoding failure, but I'm not well versed in logs.

thanks for your help.

Running Windows 10 fully updated on an i5-7500.

«1

Comments

  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 7

    My Windows 10 PMS went down a dozen x last night.

    My plexpy said Server down at this time
    And each time I then received Server is UP from between 1 -5 minutes later

    This happened about every 10 minutes then nothing for 6 hours.

    This is not the time I have tasks scheduled.
    And several times I was watching at the time and the streaming did not stop.
    And a couple of times it did!

    I have another Shield Pro as a server and this did not go down!

    Is (as above) Plex Media Server.1.log the log to look at?

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,910Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 7

    Yes.

    For the record, I realized it also somewhat coincided with when I started trying to integrate mcebuddy with the Plex DVR.

    I had stopped trying and removed the link in the settings to my script... But this morning after posting this thread I removed mcebuddy and showanalyzer from my system and it hasn't crashed since.

    I don't see how it can be related since the DVR script wasn't being called anymore, but could be the culprit.

    I also run a ShieldTV server, and it, too, didn't crash during this time.

    Yes, that's the log of one of the crashes.

  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I don't have any DVR function but do have Buddy.
    And I have Buddy scanning for new MKV to remux to mp4.

    Will turn off the auto function and see
    More info - Buddy is on my server but not doing it's auto remux at the time of the dropouts
    And my shield server gets the media from the same NAS as my problem win10 NUC

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,910Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @MovieFan.Plex Any help with the logs please? Just crashed again...

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,910Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Wonder if I could set up my DVR on the Shield and have it record on my PC's drives? Would be more reliable at this point.

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,140Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @KarlDag - I don't have access to the Crash logs but I've asked someone to find them for me. The crash seems to occur right after looking to see if your computer supports hardware acceleration. Can you try turning that off and see if it still crashes?

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,910Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 8

    @MovieFan.Plex said:
    @KarlDag - I don't have access to the Crash logs but I've asked someone to find them for me. The crash seems to occur right after looking to see if your computer supports hardware acceleration. Can you try turning that off and see if it still crashes?

    Will do. Thanks. Let me know if you need other logs or something.

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,140Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    Yeah, can you find me the Plex Crash Uploader.log files. just get me all of them if you see more than 1. They should be in the same folder as the regular server logs.

  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @spikemixture said:
    I don't have any DVR function but do have Buddy.
    And I have Buddy scanning for new MKV to remux to mp4.

    Will turn off the auto function and see
    More info - Buddy is on my server but not doing it's auto remux at the time of the dropouts
    And my shield server gets the media from the same NAS as my problem win10 NUC

    My crashing has stopped and from what I see not related to buddy as it's back on!

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,910Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Hasn't crashed since I turned off HW transcoding yesterday, but I'll give it some time.

  • BRBManBRBMan Posts: 374Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 9

    updated to 1.94, disabled hw transcoding and all "seems well" no crashes and can now uses all four tuners. I would also add I had never turned it on since my PC doesn't have Intel QuickSync

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,910Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @MovieFan.Plex said:
    Yeah, can you find me the Plex Crash Uploader.log files. just get me all of them if you see more than 1. They should be in the same folder as the regular server logs.

    Any idea if my crashes related to the latest update regarding DVR?

  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I have also turned off hardware Transcoding and no crash - yet

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,910Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @MovieFan.Plex Had turned HW acceleration back on after updating to 1.9.4, hoping the DVR crash fix would fix it for me... but it just crashed again. Here are the logs. Now I'm going to leave HW off for a few days and see what happens.

  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Last night my windows10 NUC went down ( notification from plexpy) 8x since midnight and came back everytime between 2-5 minutes later.

    This has been going on for a few days. HW decoding is off

    attached my logs

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,140Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @spikemixture - I'm not sure what PlexPy reports but PMS only recorded 2 crashes.

    Oct 10, 2017 03:02:18.221 and Oct 10, 2017 02:21:03.674

    Unfortunately, your PMS logs don't go back that far so I don't know what PMS was doing at the time it crashed. I' passed the crash info along to see if the devs can learn anything from it.

  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @MovieFan.Plex said:
    @spikemixture - I'm not sure what PlexPy reports but PMS only recorded 2 crashes.

    Oct 10, 2017 03:02:18.221 and Oct 10, 2017 02:21:03.674

    Unfortunately, your PMS logs don't go back that far so I don't know what PMS was doing at the time it crashed. I' passed the crash info along to see if the devs can learn anything from it.

    Thanks MFP,

    Plexpy sent me 8 in 8 hours.

    Interesting u found 2 as a few x I have been watching something when plexpy tells me I am down but I just plough through.
    I have rebooted the server ,the router and the NAS ( not at the same time ) and not lost the stream!

    FYI
    Not one crash in the last 2 days!! (with HW transcoding off)

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,910Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @spikemixture said:

    @MovieFan.Plex said:
    @spikemixture - I'm not sure what PlexPy reports but PMS only recorded 2 crashes.

    Oct 10, 2017 03:02:18.221 and Oct 10, 2017 02:21:03.674

    Unfortunately, your PMS logs don't go back that far so I don't know what PMS was doing at the time it crashed. I' passed the crash info along to see if the devs can learn anything from it.

    Thanks MFP,

    Plexpy sent me 8 in 8 hours.

    Interesting u found 2 as a few x I have been watching something when plexpy tells me I am down but I just plough through.
    I have rebooted the server ,the router and the NAS ( not at the same time ) and not lost the stream!

    FYI
    Not one crash in the last 2 days!! (with HW transcoding off)

    Same here, not a crash yet since I turned off HW transcoding 2 days ago.

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,140Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    Yeah, basically PMS is trying to use HW transcoding and the transcoder just fails without any error.

    Were you guys able to use HW transcoding int he earlier preview builds?

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.