If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Controls sometimes don't go away

mickburkemickburke Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If I'm watching a movie, and want to backup a few second. I move my mouse to the player and the control overlay pops up, I jump back to where I wanted (or whatever) and move the mouse off the player and about 30% of the time, the overlay stays there. Is there something I can do or is this just one of the bugs in the new version?

Best Answer

• mickburkemickburke Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

@vlang said:
    Still can't reproduce. Maybe it's OS dependent - on which OS does it happen? Also, exact PMP version (just to be sure)?

Just saw 'flexmeister's post and as I said, mine is full screen on a dedicated monitor (#3) but what I've found is that if I move the mouse off of the plex screen in the 'body' of the movie (in other words, the mouse is over the movie and moves directly left without passing over the controls at the bottom) the controls will automatically go away, quickly and consistently. If I move the mouse off the screen while over the controls or over the bar at the top, or if I pass over either diagonally when moving off the plex screen, it will ALWAYS stay on the screen. You're welcome.
    Here's a screen capture for reference...

Answers

• FlexmeisterFlexmeister Posts: 7Members ✭✭

I was just going to post this. It drives me bonkers. It's not just Plex, though. Media players blocking half the screen with the play button...
    Why is it even possible to have the controls onscreen for any length of time? What sense does it make for all this stuff to pop up every time someone coughs at the mouse?
    I just don't get it.

edited October 12

They seem to have fixed this in the new version. Since updating, the controls have gone away every time, as long as the player window was active.

Edit: And of course, the minute after I write that, it stops working.

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,648Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Is this in the TV or desktop UI? (Basically, fullscreened or windowed mode.)

Where is the mouse on the screen when this happens? (Wondering if certain mouse positions trigger permanent display of the player overlay.)

What sense does it make for all this stuff to pop up every time someone coughs at the mouse?

Well, the overlay would appear if the mouse is moved, but of course it should disappear again after a moment. Unless the mouse repeatedly reports tiny movements.

For me, the mouse is on a different monitor (I have three and the plex is full screen, but in desktop mode on the third, far right monitor). Usually it will go away if I click onto plex and then click somewhere eon the desktop, but needless to say it'd be nice if it just went away as it is supposed to consistently.

Figured it out, at least for windowed mode.
    If you move the mouse cursor over the player window, the controls pop up.
    Now, if you move the cursor off the window downwards, the controls stay up. If you move the cursor off the window to the side (i.e. moving the pointer to the right hand side of the player window as opposed to under it), the controls go away.

Still can't reproduce. Maybe it's OS dependent - on which OS does it happen? Also, exact PMP version (just to be sure)?

I'm on macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) with PMP 1.3.10.720-dfcd90a6

• titeishontiteishon Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 14

@Flexmeister said:
    Figured it out, at least for windowed mode.
    If you move the mouse cursor over the player window, the controls pop up.
    Now, if you move the cursor off the window downwards, the controls stay up. If you move the cursor off the window to the side (i.e. moving the pointer to the right hand side of the player window as opposed to under it), the controls go away.

Exactly the same happens to me!
    it's the only bug that really bothers me, specially since it blocks the subtitles.

Windows 10 Creators Update.
    Plex Media Player v.1.3.10.720-dfcd90a6
    Plex Media Server v.1.9.5.4323
    Dual Screen Setup (both 1080p)

@vlang said:

It's done it for me on every version since the UI update. If I'm looking in the right place, the current version is 3.21.2 and I'm running windows 7 64bit. Server is 1.9.4.4325-1bf240a65 on Windwos 7 64.

Accepted Answer

@vlang said:

Just saw 'flexmeister's post and as I said, mine is full screen on a dedicated monitor (#3) but what I've found is that if I move the mouse off of the plex screen in the 'body' of the movie (in other words, the mouse is over the movie and moves directly left without passing over the controls at the bottom) the controls will automatically go away, quickly and consistently. If I move the mouse off the screen while over the controls or over the bar at the top, or if I pass over either diagonally when moving off the plex screen, it will ALWAYS stay on the screen. You're welcome.
    Here's a screen capture for reference...

Seems somewhat sporadic, but I think I can reproduce now. Not sure if there's a solution.

• mike43110mike43110 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@vlang said:
    Seems somewhat sporadic, but I think I can reproduce now. Not sure if there's a solution.

This never used to be an issue before. Is multi monitor testing not performed internally?

Another windows 10 user with the same issue. PMP v2.1.1

• mike43110mike43110 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also - I found why @vlang may be having issues reproducing.
    Speed. My mouse is on 400dpi and moves much slower thus plex seems to see its last position differently.
    If I alter the dpi to 1600dpi then it never is an issue.

So the workaround is "move the mouse fast"

I run my mouse at 1600 DPI, so I guess that made reproduction harder.

Anyway, we found that moving the mouse out of the window is not reported to the UI correctly, but there should have been a workaround for dealing with this, which stopped working.

• titeishontiteishon Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mike43110 said:
    Also - I found why @vlang may be having issues reproducing.
    Speed. My mouse is on 400dpi and moves much slower thus plex seems to see its last position differently.
    If I alter the dpi to 1600dpi then it never is an issue.

So the workaround is "move the mouse fast"

I'm also using 400 DPI and as I posted before I'm having this issue too. Just wanted to report it in case there's a correlation