If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

making an old computer a PMS like a NAS?

sheinmansheinman Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass

hey,
i have an old PC have a core i5 3470 8GB ram, ssd and gtx 660.
i want to use it as dedicated server that i can download count to it form other computer.
can it be done? can i do it when i am outside of the network?

thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• mrpants1974mrpants1974 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

just set it up..install pms on it and away you go..Just leave it on 24 hrs.

• sheinmansheinman Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass

@mrpants1974 said:
    just set it up..install pms on it and away you go..Just leave it on 24 hrs.

how do i download to it from an other computer?

@jeffmd said:
    The ideal way is probably remote desktop in and pull from the computer. You will want to setup remote desktop anyways for administration purposes, so you can also use it to setup downloads and torrent transfers. This way you don't need to worry about setting up drive shares or ftp which could also open up security holes down the road.

ok. i have torrentleech, i can log in form different computer in the same network right?

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,332Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

From my experience running a remote system is not worth the hassle.
    e.g. What happens if it crashes! Who reboots it ?

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

@spikemixture said:

so what is your recommendation? i don't want to store all my library on my laptop

A NAS or DAS is the simplest way of having 2,4,8, drives.

If you are going to get into storing movies buy a 4 bay Qnap, Synology or Drobo . They can all run Plex but not too well remotely and big bitrate files.

But the good news is it the NAS fails as a PMS (your clients or media get too demanding on resources) you use it only as storage and get a PC or Shield as your server

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 465Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@spikemixture said:

You should probably try linux then ;) Stable as a rock and remotely accesible for all administration tasks via ssh.

@Coxeroni said:

@spikemixture said:

You should probably try linux then ;) Stable as a rock and remotely accesible for all administration tasks via ssh.

Yep you are probably right.
    About every 2 years for the last 15, I d/l the latest linux flavour of the time and try again.
    And ... I am still using windows :D