If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Photos on Apple TV hardly working at all with Synology NAS Plex Server

RutheniumRuthenium Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does anyone have a problem with the speed of displaying photos on Apple TV? I run Plex server on a Synology NAS with Atom CPU, which is not particularly powerful. In fact, even on my iPhone 7 the speed leaves a lot to desire. Is it possible to configure Plex to send pictures to the player "as is" and let the player do the resizing as it considers fit? That should be a lot faster. By the way, that's how Synology's Photos app apparently works. The photos in the native app show almost instantaneously.

Answers

• HappyPig0HappyPig0 Posts: 318Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Synology for you, QNAP for me! New photos I add won't open for me either. I'm not sure if this is since tvOS 11 installs because the issue is on all 4 Apple TV 4 units, either that or related to PMS updates 1.9.2 or 1.9.3. Thumbnails show in recently added, but click to open just gives the spinning wheel forever. It's fine on my iPhone iOS 11.

At home, I'm running a 48TB QNAP 871T 16Gb RAM serving 2 x LG 48" TVs, 4 x Samsung 42" TVs, all via Apple TV4 & Plex. Each can transcode HD MKV without any bumps all at the same time.
    4 iPads, 3 iPhones, 2 x Mac Mini & 1 iMac. So wish I had bought Apple shares years back

• darciliciousdarcilicious Posts: 695Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

On the AppleTV, I have found that I have to go into the Photos library and then the photos show up fine. But I’m not using an NAS either so your experience might vary from there as well.

• HappyPig0HappyPig0 Posts: 318Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yup... I too can access photos from my Photos library. But thumbnails via Recently Added on the home screen fail to open!

At home, I'm running a 48TB QNAP 871T 16Gb RAM serving 2 x LG 48" TVs, 4 x Samsung 42" TVs, all via Apple TV4 & Plex. Each can transcode HD MKV without any bumps all at the same time.
    4 iPads, 3 iPhones, 2 x Mac Mini & 1 iMac. So wish I had bought Apple shares years back