If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

OpenELEC/Kodi/Plex missing audio on centre channel when playing LPCM / TrueHD at start

pgalbavypgalbavy Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been annoyed by this long enough to want to find out where it's from and to try to fix it.

I am playing BluRay/HD-DVD MKV rips direct from my local Plex server to a RPi3 running OpenElec (8.0.2) and Plex for Kodi 0.1.2. Old Denon 4308 (I think - I'm at work right now?) but works fine otherwise and always played LPCM from disks directly OK (and decoded TrueHD but that's unrelated)

Whenever a film has an LPCM or TrueHD soundtrack the centre channel always starts silent. As it's Direct Play/Stream I can be confident it's not a PMS issue - but must be in the PCM stream being sent to the amp. If I switch to the AC3 track (when available), play a few seconds, switch back to LPCM/TrueHD and return to playback the issue is resolved and I hear vocals. This is bad when some films only have an LPCM soundtrack - I then have to force a transcode to a lower bitrate to work around the issue.

I have tried most combinations of Kodi audio settings without much luck.

Is this issue most likely in Kodi as opposed to the Plex plugin? Should I try building a different Kodi player instead of OpenElec perhaps?

Looking for hints before spending a ton of time on this.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• pgalbavypgalbavy Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Also, realised I meant LibreElec. Since posting I've seen similar problems reported over a few years of postings about local files on OpenElec without resolution so looks like it's nothing to do with Plex.

I'll close this off but it may be useful to others who search topics.

Answers

I would note that the icons on the amp indicate all 5.1 channels are lit on input.

Accepted Answer

Also, realised I meant LibreElec. Since posting I've seen similar problems reported over a few years of postings about local files on OpenElec without resolution so looks like it's nothing to do with Plex.

I'll close this off but it may be useful to others who search topics.