If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

LG 2017 Plex App and EAC3

I looks like for whatever reason the LG Plex App doesn't do EAC3/DD+ intead the server needs to transcode EAC3 > AC3? Why is that, my LG 2017 C7P support EAC3/DD+

Please Fix

Tagged:

Answers

• dhstreamdhstream Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 10

Does AC3 (DD5.1) work at all? I have a 2017 UJ7700 hooked up to an AVR, HDMI ARC and all I get is stereo on the receiver when playing a video with DD5.1 audio. Is the setup even supposed to work or the TV only passes 2 channels from Plex via ARC? In the Plex settings I have DD and DTS enabled and video set to Original, hoping to not do any transcoding and more importantly to get multi-channel audio to the AVR.

• mbze430mbze430 Posts: 130Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 10

The Plex App for WebOS does play DD5.1. As I have said in my OP. I can see EAC3(DD+) being transcoded to AC3, and on my AVR it shows up as Dolby Digital via ARC.

If the movie is AC3 (DD5.1) then it plays as DirectPlay.

Not sure if the LG LED any different, but that's how my OLED been doing.

I've only notice this only because recently my HTPC's SSD crashed, and I am bounded to use the built-in TV Apps instead. Normally I use Kodi+DSPlayer+PKC Addon+MadVR to by-pass all the BAD PROGRAMMING that the Plex Team have done with their software.

No idea what's going on, my setup is very new, still playing with it. DD5.1 via ARC works for LiveTV/OTA and I've seen DD+ work for the Amazon app, don't know why the Plex app doesn't.

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,426Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@mbze430 said:
    The Plex App for WebOS does play DD5.1. As I have said in my OP. I can see EAC3(DD+) being transcoded to AC3, and on my AVR it shows up as Dolby Digital via ARC.

The webOS app doesn’t at this time offer EAC3 as a supported audio codec in the settings view. Expected behavior is for PMS to transcode to another multichannel audio codec.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

edited October 10

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot why not even DD works for me? Any logs that one can see on the TV?

What about DTS? Is that supposed to work via ARC?

• AmmiraglioAmmiraglio Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

With EAC3 content my LG app would not even start the file.
    After about 1 minute it would say that there was a problem with the playback of the item.
    This only happens with EAC3 content and only from the LG app.

I reinstalled the app and now both AC3 and DTS work. Go figure.