If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Bug] Stuttering Playblack with movies encoded with M4VGear

HanterdroHanterdro Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited October 10 in Synology

Hey,

when I buy a iTunes movie and convert it with M4VGear (Windows) the Playback on iOS, tvOS and the Webplayer is stuttering.

On tvOS it where it runs best. Every 3 to 10 Minutes is a very small interrupt (around 0.5 to 1 sec). On iOS and the Webplayer is much more frequent.

If I copy the same movie to iTunes and play it on the AppleTV with the "Computer" app it's absolutely stutter free.

If I convert the movie with M4VGear (MacOS) it's also with Plex stutter free. But converting a movie with MacOS M4VGear is a bad idea... because it takes hours instead of minutes like on Windows and even more worse: there is a visible quality loose in the picture quality (but the same file size).

All streams are direct plays

I think the issue is caused the Plex Server, after the issue appears only when I play the movie via Plex.

Setup:

Plex Server 1.9.2.4285 (@Synology DS415play)
Apple TV 4k with tvOS 11.0 (Plex App 1.17.1 )

iMac 5k with macOS 11.13
Windows 7 via Parallels Desktop running M4VGear 5.3.4

Best Answer

• HanterdroHanterdro Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 12 Accepted Answer

Okay... I think I found a solution.
    I tried Emby and found the same stuttering as in Plex.

After that I remuxed the suttering movies with ffmpeg and after that the stuttering was gone.
    I used for remuxing the mp4tool (http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools-home/).

But it's still strange that the stuttering did not appear in the Computer app on the AppleTV or QuickTime/VLC on MacOs...
    I'm still not sure if the error comes from the windows version of m4vgear or Plex/Emby...

Answers