If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Will PMP eventually support HDR?

craig_1989craig_1989 Posts: 39Members ✭✭

I know HDR is currently a mess on windows, barely any applications can send the metadata signal to the TV. But do you think in the coming months the plex devs will make it work with PMP?

Normal movies will play normally, but if you select a movie with HDR metadata, it will send it to the TV over HDMI and enable HDR for you?

It would be amazing if a Plex dev could respond to this and maybe give us hope for it coming in 2018.

Best Answer

Answers

• craig_1989craig_1989 Posts: 39Members ✭✭

Awesome, thanks vlang.

MadVR can pass-through HDR metadata just fine (it even switches off when you stop the video), so it's not too crazy to think it can also work for PMP on the same OS/drivers.

• jurrabijurrabi Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 13

And what about other clients?
    I have had success watching HDR content served by a Plex server through DLNA to the native player app of my LG OLED TV.
    But the Plex client app is other matter. The reproduction shows the usual dimmed picture I get with other players.
    Is there a plan to get HDR support for TV clients on TV's that support it? (LG being my selfish choice to start with ;) )

• beornlakebeornlake Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Wondering the same thing as @jurrabi – my LG HDR TV is arriving in a few days and am looking forward to getting Plex up and running on it. Sounds like the Plex app isn't ready for HDR content just yet, though, so hopefully that can happen before too long!

I highly recommend DSPlayer to everyone for HDR content. It plays HDR remuxes perfectly and enables/disables HDR on your TV when playback starts and finishes.

This is nice alternative atleast until PMP supports HDR too. :)

edited November 14

Thanks for the recomendation Craig, but I personally need something on the TV side, not the PC.

For the time being I feel the PC world needs to improve on a fundamental level their HDR Support. What they've done so far doesn't make any sense.

For example the fact that you have to actívate HDR on for the Windows desktop (making it look like crap) in order for games or other apps (aka media payers) to be able to use it? That makes no sense. It's like saying that you have to select the desired game/video resolution in the desktop to enjoy your game in your desired resolution.

Also we need to be able to mix and much SDR and HDR content and not have to choose which one will look like crap. Is this an HDR design flaw? Like they did't desing the standars to be compatible so you can only choose one? If that's the case, what a crapy move.

Finally they need to control better the matter of the bandwidth. Seriouslly. How come if you select (in my personal PC/TV configuration, might be different for others) some combination of resolutions/color depth/refresh rate, the system (aka Windows) allows it, but they didn't work properly? The side effects might vary and go from black screen to wrong colors, ... Microsoft itself gives the advice that "if it doesn't look good just reduce something"!!! (you can check it here

They really need to up their game.

PS. @craig_1989 I just took a fast look at DSPlayer and didn't gave it a second thought. First, a DirectShow player that requires again the nightmare of filters? Oh hell no!!! we are in the times of kodi and plex now. All that s**t is long gone for me. As a test I tried a 4k HDR mkv file and the player didn't even recognized it as playable... Again thanks for the advise, but I wouldn't endorse your recommendation at all.

PPS. ;) Maybe you were referring to Kodi DSPlayer? Because that is something to play with... Still complicated, but has a chance of being a way to play HDR content in windows. I still find all this very unstable and unpredictable (black screens, same configuration sometimes gives a perfect image quality with HDR activated an others doesn't work at all, HDR left activated when returning to menus or desktop) but still is the best we have for the moment.

• evanrichevanrich Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jurrabi said:
    Thanks for the recomendation Craig, but I personally need something on the TV side, not the PC.

For the time being I feel the PC world needs to improve on a fundamental level their HDR Support. What they've done so far doesn't make any sense.

For example the fact that you have to actívate HDR on for the Windows desktop (making it look like crap) in order for games or other apps (aka media payers) to be able to use it? That makes no sense. It's like saying that you have to select the desired game/video resolution in the desktop to enjoy your game in your desired resolution.

Also we need to be able to mix and much SDR and HDR content and not have to choose which one will look like crap. Is this an HDR design flaw? Like they did't desing the standars to be compatible so you can only choose one? If that's the case, what a crapy move.

Finally they need to control better the matter of the bandwidth. Seriouslly. How come if you select (in my personal PC/TV configuration, might be different for others) some combination of resolutions/color depth/refresh rate, the system (aka Windows) allows it, but they didn't work properly? The side effects might vary and go from black screen to wrong colors, ... Microsoft itself gives the advice that "if it doesn't look good just reduce something"!!! (you can check it here

They really need to up their game.

PS. @craig_1989 I just took a fast look at DSPlayer and didn't gave it a second thought. First, a DirectShow player that requires again the nightmare of filters? Oh hell no!!! we are in the times of kodi and plex now. All that s**t is long gone for me. As a test I tried a 4k HDR mkv file and the player didn't even recognized it as playable... Again thanks for the advise, but I wouldn't endorse your recommendation at all.

PPS. ;) Maybe you were referring to Kodi DSPlayer? Because that is something to play with... Still complicated, but has a chance of being a way to play HDR content in windows. I still find all this very unstable and unpredictable (black screens, same configuration sometimes gives a perfect image quality with HDR activated an others doesn't work at all, HDR left activated when returning to menus or desktop) but still is the best we have for the moment.

This. HDR needs to be supported soon. I just purchased an LG OLED tv just to start watching HD content, let alone the fact that PMP on linux doesn't yet do HD passthrough with Intel NUCs (hopefully fixed soon) but HDR needs to be supported

• HTPC: Intel NUC7I3BNBK (Plex Media Player)
    • Firewall/Router: Ubiquiti USG
    • Core Switch: US-48-500W POE
    • AP: Ubiquiti AP-AC-PRO + IW-AP-AC
    • NAS: Supermicro X11-SSL-F / Intel E3-1230v5 / 32GB DDR4 / SC826 12-bay Chassis/12x 4TB WD red RAID-Z2 / Intel 120GB DC-S3500 ZIL / Avago 9211-8i HBA / Intel X520 10GbE / FreeNAS 9.10
    edited November 16

@jurrabi > @jurrabi said:

PPS. ;) Maybe you were referring to Kodi DSPlayer?

Yes, my bad.

For me it works every time with no bugs or glitches. Be sure to follow this thread to get setup properly: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/2880609-madvr-hdr-passthrough-isn-t-working.html#post53885457

I found that only nvidia drivers .69 work for this, if I update them it breaks everything with HDR playback. Also don't forget to update the MadVR that comes with DSPlayer, since it's an outdated version.

This has been so reliable for me, I have put off buying a Nvidia shield. Once you have it set up it really is a great way to play HDR content. I've watched 8 remuxes so far and no issues! It's dynamic HDR in every sense of the word.

Well @craig_1989, my journey with HDR in the PC has been a bumpy one, I can tell you that much. Since my last post here I've been playing with Kodi DSPlayer (thanks for the tip) and reading a lot about config, drivers, etc.

To finally realize that my issue might be with my Onkio Receiver or the HDMI exit in my NVIDIA 970 (most probably). The fact is that when I've connected the PC directly to the TV through an DVI to HDMI cable every issue I've been experiencing has disappear. Such us:
    1. Issues when changing Resolution/refresh rate/color depth/HDI mode to a mode in the upper side of capabilities (4k 60fps, 1080p120fps, etc). This issues go from taking a long time to adjust (I'm talking that some times the time out windows gives to accept the change would disappear before I could accept it), 4k snow in the TV, black screen... generally I could fix this with a switch of input in the receiver, but you can imagine the pain in the ass when activating adjust refresh rate on kodi.
    2. Kodi playback of HDR content, without touching config at all, would some times work perfect, other show dimmed, other show not HDR mode in the tv, and change to HDR when back to the kodi interface... a real nightmare.
    3. A lot of issues with image quality (color bleeding mainly) that I didn't get with my old tv and the same exact PC. It's like watching a connection with VGA cables... bad ones.

Well, ALL OF THIS disappeared when I connected the TV directly to the PC with an DVI to HDMI cable. You might think, well the issue is clear, it's the receiver, but if I connect the PC to the TV directly with a HDMI cable I also have issues (mainly the TV don't recognizing the input is active)...

So there. Now I have perfect HDR reproduction (well, I have power issues since my card is the last Maxwell card not to incorporate HW decode for x.265 and my processor being from the Pleistocene). And what a cristal clear image, really!

I even learned that DVI can carry audio (I always thought DVI was a video only connector, didn't it used to be?). When I connected the PC through HDMI to the TV the only sound configuration posible was 2 speakers PCM. With the DVI I get 2 speakers and... Dolby Atmos!!

So now I have the PC to the TV directly and then through ARC sound to the receiver... happy as it can be.

No issues with drivers and no other nonsense like that.

So my advise to reader. Try to avoid HDMI direct connection at all. If possible try a DVI exit first.

@jurrabi Glad to hear you got it working. It was a pain in the ass for me too but totally worth it in the end. You wouldn't believe how many hoops I had to jump through just to get HDR working on my PC, but in the end I'm super happy and a Nvidia Shield seems so pointless to me now. Once I get a HEVC capable GPU this setup will be even better.

I'm actually also using a GTX 970 along with HDMI cable with no problems. Did you happen to try a different cable before going the DVI route? My original HDMI cable had issues so I bought a new one from amazon and it worked a treat. I found that some cables struggle to do 4:2:2 / 4:4:4 and can only handle 4:2:0 and RGB Limited.

Nice find on the DVI exit though, I would have never been adventurous enough to try that...