If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New appletv x265 support

znerkenznerken Posts: 28Members ✭✭

Hey

I have a problem with cpu peaking on pre gen Apple TV when playing x265 files(10 bit audio 1080p). Is it supported to play these on the new appletv, with less transcoding? Basically not transcoding from x265 to 264. If not, will there be a new update to the app that supports this? Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 342Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex Server hasn't been updated yet to support h.265 on AppleTV's, so will be transcoding for now. Apple changed something in how the back end has to operate which requires pretty big changes by Plex. I can't recall the exact details. It's hidden away somewhere in one of the many other threads on h.265/HEVC.

There's a workaround that works if playing .mp4 files which involves manually editing the tvos.xml file on your server. You can give that a try. Other than that, only option is to wait.

• dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 641Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BastardSheep

yeah.. it takes a one line addition to the tvos settings file server side to playback HEVC content on the apple TV and it works with the previous version of apple TV not just the 4k....

it has nothing to do with apple changing anything... and even if it did.. is yet another reason that plex should have coded its own playback engine at the hardware level and not depend on apples API in the first place...

• znerkenznerken Posts: 28Members ✭✭

I think Plex should prioritise this. There are loads of people waiting for the update.

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 422Members ✭✭✭

@znerken said:
    I think Plex should prioritise this. There are loads of people waiting for the update.

I think they should prioritize something else. Like, proper playback of ALL media. There are way more people waiting for that.

• MrScrewzlooseMrScrewzloose Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone have a link to the how-to or the line of code that's needed for the tvos.xml?

• kendalskendals Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 12

Follow this thread...https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/283275/is-hevc-already-in-the-apple-tv-4-profile

The answer in there is the lines you need to add...

Jus for the record. I have an ATV 4K, NAS Plex sever, made the changes listed in thread above and Plex on ATV plays H.265 content perfectly (I use iVI pro to re-encode all my video to H.264 and now I will reencode everything to H.265. I need to save some space on my NAS!

• dreamer81dreamer81 Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The plex team is prioritizing this. They have been working non-stop since the ATV 4k was released to fix this bug, and I can feel they are close to releasing a beta fix soon.

Of course they wouldn't let a huge bug like this survive for a long period. It would be really silly if they did.

• jcarr84jcarr84 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey, I'm new to this forum/posting. But is there a beta version that supports x265 .mkv direct play through apple tv yet? If not, where would be the quickest way for me to find out when it's released, instead of continuously posting on here haha.

• BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 342Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jcarr84 said:
    Hey, I'm new to this forum/posting. But is there a beta version that supports x265 .mkv direct play through apple tv yet? If not, where would be the quickest way for me to find out when it's released, instead of continuously posting on here haha.

Not yet. There's workarounds to get it going by editing the tvos.xml file, but I believe that only works for .mp4 containers. To do it properly Plex need to make some changes to the server side. I'm sure it'll be in the notes for the various updates when it comes (both server and client), so just keep an eye on those.

Is it fixed in the new version? Doesn't look like it when I tested it? What do you think?

edited October 20

@jcarr84 said:

There's an entire subforum at the very top of the forum for release announcements. It couldn't really get more obvious.

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

@jcarr84 said:

There's an entire subforum at the very top for release announcements. It couldn't really get more obvious.

I did, and it say added 4k support, and my question was wether that fixes what we have discussed in this thread, or not.

• LatticeLattice Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Tried the new release yesterday and it's not playing 4k/HEVC. Maybe they meant 4k AVC only?

edited October 20

@znerken said:

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

@jcarr84 said:

There's an entire subforum at the very top for release announcements. It couldn't really get more obvious.

I did, and it say added 4k support, and my question was wether that fixes what we have discussed in this thread, or not.

I didn't quote nor reply to you.

• CurunCurun Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 20

@Lattice said:
    Tried the new release yesterday and it's not playing 4k/HEVC. Maybe they meant 4k AVC only?

MP4/MOV
    4K/HEVC(I'm pretty sure.)

MKV
    4K/AVC only for now, no HEVC but it is in the plan, it's a bit complex. No timeline but it's on their todo list and they have a plan to make it work.

• LatticeLattice Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 21

Oh, right it was in mkv. Don’t have any mp4s to test at the moment. Might get around to trying to remux one again, last tool didn’t recognize hevc stream correctly and no playback.

• AlveyAlvey Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

MRMC is playing 4k HDR files now with direct play with the plex client on my apple tv. What a difference in quality. Nice that I dont have to use the plex App on the tv anymore. And I dont have to convert them from mkv to mp4 files either.

Did the latest update fix this now? I tried today, but no change on my server. Do I need to do something with the files?

@znerken said:
    Did the latest update fix this now? I tried today, but no change on my server. Do I need to do something with the files?

Tried once more with a HVEC compatible file, still the transcoder is running at 100% CPU, so it’s obviously not playing the HVEC. What am I missing?

• Ryan ChristensenRyan Christensen Posts: 137Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Tried the new update. Still no direct play. I wonder if it's the 10-bit color depth. Plex doesn't officially list support for that.

• Server: Dell PowerEdge T620, Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620, Ubuntu 14.04, Gigabit fiber, Synology DS1815+
    • Clients: Apple TV (4th gen), Plex Media Player on Pi3, iOS, Plex Web App
    • Theater: LG 55EG9100 TV, Denon AVR-E300 Receiver, Klipsch Reference Series Speakers
    • Projects: Network Status Page