If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

HEVC 10Bit hardware decoding?

AgentDrTranAgentDrTran Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is HEVC 10Bit hardware decoding support planned for PMP? I see HDR is planned but a lot of the 4k HDR content I can find is also 10 bit, and my Plex PC isn't powerful enough to decode this.

Best Answers

Answers

• AgentDrTranAgentDrTran Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@vlang said:
    Depends on the OS and GPU. On Windows, it should be supported if the GPU does. On OSX it'll take some time until it's properly supported (if the OSX APIs make it possible). On Embedded I'm currently not sure - might still require updating the software base, and Intel's "hybrid" decoding won't be available.

Also keep in mind that hardware decoding is off in PMP by default.

Ok, so to clarify, if your GPU supports it on Windows, you can hardware decode 4k 10bit content (and HDR in the future)?

• boomslang06boomslang06 Posts: 65Members ✭✭

my video stutters on 1050 ti 4GB and its using 99% CPU , is there special setting i need to set in MP /PMS ?
    i tried MPC-HC and it works great no stuttering at all, 6% CPU and 45% GPU usage . but i would rather use plex instead.

Plex Server: 2500K / 8GB RAM / 12TB HDD / GTX 1050 Ti / Samsung UN40KU6300

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,648Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Go to the TV fullscreen UI, enable hardware decoding in the settings. Did you already try that? Does it help? If not, please post a playback log (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/207338748-Plex-Media-Player-Logs).

Not at Plex anymore. I'm not a Ninja either.

• boomslang06boomslang06 Posts: 65Members ✭✭

got it working last night , i think cause i disabled IGPU in bios.

Plex Server: 2500K / 8GB RAM / 12TB HDD / GTX 1050 Ti / Samsung UN40KU6300

• rcgwrrcgwr Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does this work in linux as well? (guessing it does?..)

currently I just have a amd fx-8350 cpu and a nvidia 550 ti that I use just to boot my box since the motherboard doesn't have onboard video.

Any recommendations for hardware HEVC decoder cards? I sometimes have 3 streams playing at the same time in my household and just 1 HEVC video seems to chew up the cpu on decent 1080p content which makes. What card now days would be able to support 3 high bitrate 1080p streams? Much of a difference for 2160p as well? (would want to be a bit future proof if possible.)

• BradrcrBradrcr Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex Server doesn't use your video card for decoding, that's all CPU. I can say that a 20mbit 4k h.265 steam transcoding to another room or offsite eats up 80% of my i7 5820k (6 core). However, a 1080p 10mbit h.264 stream is only 3-4% per stream. If you have an older AMD chipset like I did, they're terrible at decoding on the fly, especially h.265.

• WigsterWigster Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The New 1.10 version of PMS has just enabled GPU decoding of 10-bit HEVC.

• HitsVilleHitsVille Posts: 547Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2017

@Wigster said:

And it rocks :)

HitsVille

• AgentDrTranAgentDrTran Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Wigster said:

I'm confused: my plex server is at 1.9.7.4460. Is this referring to PMP? That's at 2.1.1 for me.

• onekmilesbehindonekmilesbehind Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@AgentDrTran said:
    I'm confused: my plex server is at 1.9.7.4460. Is this referring to PMP? That's at 2.1.1 for me.

It's currently in beta, you'd have to switch your PMS update channel to beta to get the latest (since you're PlexPass). I believe as long as you have a server CPU that supports Intel Quick Sync, v1.10+ of PMS supports decoding 10bit HEVC content in hardware. Previously it could only decode 8bit, so transcoding 10bit HEVC would severely tax the CPU.

Assuming your server and client are different machines, then you can potentially:

• Upgrade your PMS to the current beta version if it has a CPU supporting Intel's Quick Sync Video (thus allowing it to transcode for less HEVC-friendly clients) OR
    • Upgrade the GPU in your player build so it can direct play HEVC files.

I primarily use Plex in one location and so opted to upgrade my player GPU (which works great). If you stream to many devices, it might be more economical to look into updating the PMS if your CPU supports Quick Sync. Ultimately though, to get native 10bit HEVC playback on your client, you'd be looking at Windows/Linux + a GPU that can handle HEVC. Although as @vlang noted, it's still technically 8bit right now.

• HitsVilleHitsVille Posts: 547Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@AgentDrTran said:

@Wigster said:

1.10 is the latest server version.
    Check your picking up beta versions in server settings.

HitsVille

Doesn't this update mean that it allows your server to transcode for your clients via the servers GPU?.. not using intel quick sync that is.

• onekmilesbehindonekmilesbehind Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@rcgwr said:
    Doesn't this update mean that it allows your server to transcode for your clients via the servers GPU?.. not using intel quick sync that is.

I think that was the hope, but support for the various cards/brands was...logistically difficult. The guide here lists 2nd gen+ core CPUs with Quick Sync as requirements. I'm building a new server rig using an AMD Threadripper CPU and so noted the Quick Sync incompatibility early on in development.

• masterkajmasterkaj Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really hope they add GPU's to decode 10-bit HEVC files. My Ryzen 1700x @ 3.9Ghz server can only handle 1 HEVC decode/encode. I do have a GTX 1050 inside that machine, so I was hoping that hardware decoding would work but I guess it's only working for Intel QuickSync right now right?

4K HEVC is the future, so I hope they add Nvidia/AMD GPU's to hardware decoding as well.

It would also be nice if there was an option to only use hardware transcoding for HEVC content and H264 content would default to software transcoding. I find that the software transcoding for H264 looks much better and my machine can handle over 6 transcodes at a time so I'm less worried about it.

from what I've read around, it is supporting GPUs now, but it's difficult to find the info as to what tech on the hardware is supported.

intel quick sync makes the quality look bad compared to software transcoding. hardware DECODING though shouldn't affect quality I would think. I think it's only 'transcoding' which affects it.

if someone can elaborate that would be great.

• sPaCe MoNk3ysPaCe MoNk3y Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Good question: What are the differences between hardware decoding for playback "activated", "active (copy back)" and "disabled" quality wise? Of course hardware transcodes always had lower quality. I have a laptop with latest 8th gen i7 (8550U) and tried to use software decoding on 4K content without great luck (it stuttered). Now with hardware decoding "activated" it works but I wonder if the quality lacks.