If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[BUG] Advertise as Server does not make Plex client available on second device

jonclevelandjoncleveland Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There are multiple posts across these forums and outside forums discussing the setup of the Plex Client "Advertise as server" feature (located under Settings ->> Sharing ->> Advertise as server).

The concept seems very straightforward -
1. sync content to your android device ->> android A
2. enable "Advertise as server"
3. Use another Plex client capable of seeing it (i.e. a second android device ->> android B )
4. Play synced content on android B from android A across your LAN connection

Unless I missed something, this does not seem to be working as expected. While my android B can see android A, android A is listed as offline in the Locations dropdown within the android B Plex client. Status does not change if the android A Plex client is open or closed.

Configuration
    * android A Plex client v6.5.3.2115
    * android B Plex client v6.5.3.2115
    * connected via home LAN. have also tried connecting via HooToo Titan device
    * PMS v1.9.4.4325 (although this shouldn't matter)

Is anyone able to get this working as expected and if so, will you share your configuration details. Or perhaps a bug was introduced at some point. It seems this used to work in previous versions (based on forums) but I don't know which ones.

Thanks!

Comments

• alemhnanalemhnan Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here. Nobody with more luck?

• mrmeesmrmees Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having the exact same problem. The "server" client can be seen by other devices but is either listed as unavailable or offline. Nothing in the web app under servers either. Manual connections don't work either.

"Server" is an nVidia shield tablet. Clients are Android phone and Roku stick.

• corrytrevorcorrytrevor Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 16

There is another post about this here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1558602#Comment_1558602

I am also experiencing this issue and have been for some time. I used to be able to select my Android device as a plex server on all my other devices (android tv, MacOS running Plex Media Player, etc). Now I am having to "cast" video from my android device TO the other devices. I primarily do this while travelling. I have a 128GB SD card in my Galaxy S8 and travel with about 100GB of movies and TV shows. Having to cast is an ok work around, but I'd love to see this fixed.

@ Plex Team. Respectfully, this should have been fixed and should be working. This was a feature that I relied on. Perhaps you could shift focus from weird features like "News", to making things that used to work, work again.