If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

LG and plex app not use DirectPlay

I'm testing the application of plex on my LG 43LF590V TV, and it does not allow directplay, so many movies do not go. I dont need transcode in my local network.

However with the application xplay, the directplay is ok and I view all the movies.

Do I have to configure the plex application in some way to force the directplay? Or is it a failure of the plex application? And if it is a bug, will you launch any updates that allow you to force directplay?

Thanks

Answers

  • pickiepickie Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    i wouldn't waste your breath, it seems admins or devs arent listing to us, as this question has been asked many times before and ( sorry if it has but haven't found an answer ) no one has given a reason to why the official app cant do what 3rd party apps can

  • Ruben_SanchezRuben_Sanchez Posts: 5Members ✭✭

    So it's a well-known bug but totally ignored...
    :-(

  • pickiepickie Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    well I'm not aware of anyone explain why its still not fixed, yet 3rd party apps have been fine for ages

  • hit playhit play Posts: 68Members ✭✭

    @Ruben_Sanchez said:
    I'm testing the application of plex on my LG 43LF590V TV, and it does not allow directplay, so many movies do not go. I dont need transcode in my local network.

    However with the application xplay, the directplay is ok and I view all the movies.

    Do I have to configure the plex application in some way to force the directplay? Or is it a failure of the plex application? And if it is a bug, will you launch any updates that allow you to force directplay?

    Thanks

    From my understanding, new as I am, Direct Play requires

    Container - mp4

    Codec - H.264
    Audio codec - Advanced Audio Codec

    Does your content meet these requirements?

    Server settings page usually enables 'Direct Play' for you automatically. Only exception being 'Direct Stream', which is only useful for those who have incompatible containers/codecs.

    I'm no professional here but experienced members or staff here would probably want to see your server log file to get more of an in depth idea on what could be causing the problem.

    Server OS: Windows 10
    Server Setup: Direct Play
    Storage: 3 TB D-Link Share Center
    Client Devices: PlayStation 4 - Apple TV
    Other Devices: Sky Q 1 TB - Sony 49" TV

  • Ruben_SanchezRuben_Sanchez Posts: 5Members ✭✭

    Xplay with directplay allows you to play any format without transcoding. The video is sent as it is, and if the device supports the codec, it plays it as is.

    This is especially useful when the NAS is not very powerful but the TV is able to play virtually everything.

    With h264 if it works, but with xvid, for example, it fails.

    The official plex does not allow yo send directly video, without transcode. Neither as a server option nor in the LG plex. It is a simple option, i wish disable transcode.

    The plex client of Windows 10 supports directplay and goes correctly. The plex client for LG is not running ok. The xplay for LG is running ok, too.

  • angyp74angyp74 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    If you ask me it unacceptable that the LG WebOS official plex client is so ignored. Why should we have to pay for a third party client when we are paying for plex pass.

  • SE56SE56 Posts: 1,764Members ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12

    @angyp74 said:
    If you ask me it unacceptable that the LG WebOS official plex client is so ignored. Why should we have to pay for a third party client when we are paying for plex pass.

    It is not ignored but there are issues with 2017 OLED models mentioned in the forums. There must be something different in LG WebOS 3.5

    TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

  • angyp74angyp74 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    So again. It's now October 2017 and these issues still unresolved why? Sounds ignored to me. Is anyone actively working to improve it?

  • SE56SE56 Posts: 1,764Members ✭✭✭✭

    @angyp74 said:
    So again. It's now October 2017 and these issues still unresolved why? Sounds ignored to me. Is anyone actively working to improve it?

    Best not shot the messenger, I don't work for Plex. I just enjoy trying to help others where I can.

    TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

  • angyp74angyp74 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Yeah no worries thanks for your response. Would be great to see somebody from plex put in as much effort in as yourself.

  • ArturoVFArturoVF Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Plex team ignores us.... it has been reported, and asked in several post from many people and since long time......

  • Ulairi9Ulairi9 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

    How do you guys handle your situation when you have an LG Tv and want to use plex?

    Official Plex app doesnt support direct play.

    There is XPlay, which supports Direct Play, but I got the problem with transcoding a second language? XPlay cant transcode a second language.

    Do you use something else as a "player" for your files? For example Nvidia shield tv?

  • SE56SE56 Posts: 1,764Members ✭✭✭✭

    @Ulairi9 said:
    How do you guys handle your situation when you have an LG Tv and want to use plex?

    Official Plex app doesnt support direct play.

    There is XPlay, which supports Direct Play, but I got the problem with transcoding a second language? XPlay cant transcode a second language.

    Do you use something else as a "player" for your files? For example Nvidia shield tv?

    Have you tried DLNA with LG media share, the built in app. Not pretty but functional.

    TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

  • Ulairi9Ulairi9 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    edited October 16

    I did eyes...but as you said, doesn't look pretty^^

    I also have the Problem with Animes and subtitles that over DLNA it can't handle some subtitles, which Plex can transcode.

    Thiking about getting an Nvidia Shield, maybe the Plex app is better there.

  • SE56SE56 Posts: 1,764Members ✭✭✭✭

    @Ulairi9 said:
    I did eyes...but as you said, doesn't look pretty^^

    I also have the Problem with Animes and subtitles that over DLNA it can't handle some subtitles, which Plex can transcode.

    Thiking about getting an Nvidia Shield, maybe the Plex app is better there.

    I would think hard on that decision.

    A Roku 3 would be a better solution and cheaper at present. Shield still has issues.

    Do some some forum searches

    TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

Sign In or Register to comment.