If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Opera TV is now VEWD, and Plex is no longer working!!!

ember1205ember1205 Posts: 134Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

WTH happened with this? Everything was fine. Then, a week ago, the Opera TV app wouldn't load. Now, it just black screens.

Should it still work? What do I need to do on my BluRay Player?

And, why isn't there a Player area for this specific player?

Answers

• RecoveryMaskRecoveryMask Posts: 1Members

Agreed. Plex was working fine until Opera TV changed to Vewd. Any help would be appreciated

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,205Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Could you please state the precise make and model of your smart tv's please?

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • ember1205ember1205 Posts: 134Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My issues are with Opera TV on a Sony BluRay Player (BDP-S3700). I have two of them and get the exact same results on both.

• gopher1369gopher1369 Posts: 1Members

Same. Sony BDPS1700 Blu Ray. I open Plex in the Opera/Vewd store and it says "this needs to open up in a browser window". I select yes and get a screen that says "device not supported".

As of this morning, I was able to launch the Plex app via Opera TV on a Sony BDP-BX350. I will be testing the S3700's again over the weekend (different location).

• rgorman33rgorman33 Posts: 3Members

Same issue. Opera tv changed to vewd - plex won’t open. When you select the app a question prompts if you’d like to open internet browser. If you select “no” blank black screen. If you select “yes” says not supported.

• rgorman33rgorman33 Posts: 3Members

Just to clarify when you select the plex app from vewd(formerly opera tv) black screen (after selecting “no” for internet browser , then after several minutes a message appears “cannot open at this time” if you select “yes” for internet browser message states “not supported”

This is from my Sony Blue Ray Player

Confirmed - still not working on two different Sony BDP-S3700 BluRay players.

• ozrayozray Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Yes same problem here which is how i found this forum chat

• ozrayozray Posts: 4Members ✭✭

My Smart TV is a Hisense 55M7000UWG 55"(139cm) UHD LED LCD Smart TV.
    The Plex app was already in favourites when first purchased. I tried removing it and then tried to re-install but there is no longer any Plex app in the Opera Store.
    I hope this can be sorted out soon.

I believe you bought a used TV if Plex was already in the favorites. Re-adding it should be simple by launching Opera TV, navigating left to the Apps section, navigating right so you're able to scroll through the various apps, then navigating down. Plex is there, it just doesn't work on a number of devices any more.

• tripleaardvark@gmail.comtripleaardvark@gmail.com Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Until Plex updates their Opera TV (oops, I mean Vewd) app, it won't work. Vewd broke some things.

In the meantime, there is a workaround to get to Plex through a direct URL. It's simple and brilliant. It will take maybe 20 minutes to set up the first time, and afterwards it's about three extra clicks to get in. Make sure to follow the steps carefully, but you can't really screw anything up even though "developer mode" sounds scary.

mattpilz.com/how-to-unofficially-install-the-plex-app-on-opera-tv-if-its-not-available/

Have you actually tried this on a DVD player where the app isn't working? Because the browser also doesn't load on those devices.

This works on devices that don't even have a browser.

I should clarify, Opera TV itself is technically a browser, but locked-down devices only let you use stock apps. You can't navigate to a specific URL.

You didn't answer my question.

Opera TV browser itself doesn't work on the devices that won't load the Plex app. And, this isn't an issue of not being able to find the app, it's an issue of the app not launching. So, what good is it to forcibly load an app that isn't going to work?

Have you tried this with any success?

Yes, I have tried this successfully. I watched some downloaded episodes of Inhumans yesterday.

If Opera TV/Vewd is not launching at all, you might need to update your device's firmware. I had updated my firmware the same day Opera launched Vewd (total coincidence) so I don't know whether that's actually the problem.

Not a device firmware issue. Opera TV launches fine. The issue is in launching the Plex app specifically as other apps work. Your recommendations are not related to the issues at hand in this thread.

"Opera TV browser itself doesn't work on the devices that won't load the Plex app."
    "Not a device firmware issue. Opera TV launches fine."

Which is it? Does Opera TV work or not?

If Opera TV launches at all, then the procedure should work. It uses the hidden app called "URL Loader", not the browser.

Your procedure isn't helpful. Read the thread. All of the details are in here.

We don't need a way to install the App. The app is there. It doesn't work.