If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Samsung TV & VPN Suddenly Causes "undefined : undefined server_name" At Every App Restart

SupermangSupermang Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,
I've been using Plex with my Samsung TV for years now. Recently I've been having a problem when launching the Plex app on my Samsung TV. Upon opening, my local server is shown as unavailable. I then navigate to the server list in preferences where my server is shown as "undefined : undefined server_name". From there I can temporarily resolve the issue by deleting my server and adding it again using my PMS' local IP (192.168.0.3). This works until the app is closed either via closing the app or powering off the TV.

I don't remember exactly when this started but it might be since PIA's latest client update. I really am not sure though.

/// MY SETUP ///
PlexPass

Windows 10 64bit (server)
VPN (Private Internet Access) (server)

Samsung TV (main streaming device and only problem device)
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (as secondary testing device)
////////////////

TESTS (all while connected to local network):
OK - Samsung TV to PMS without VPN
FAIL - Samsung TV to PMS with VPN
OK - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to PMS without VPN
OK - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to PMS with VPN

Answers

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,394Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Please always mention which version PMS and app are you using on which TV model.

The difference here is probably that you signed the Galaxy app in with your account, and did not do that on the TV app.
    Try to use the PIN code login. You can download the manual here to help you set it up.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• SupermangSupermang Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I apologize,

Taken from Plex App's "About Plex" section:
    Samsung TV: UN50F5500 is a F-series (2013) model
    Network Connection: Lan
    Plex app version 2.007 PMS version 0.9.8.0

Taken from Plex Media Server:
    Web Version 3.20.8
    Server Version 1.9.4.4325

I have of course always used the PIN method of connecting to my TV. However, I decided to try again now. It successfully connected to my Plex account, added my PMS and was automatically "undefined : undefined server_name".

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,394Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Please update the app to the latest version (2.009) and see if that fixes the issue.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

I have now updated the Samsung TV App to version 2.009, same issue.

Your TV app does not seem to be connected to the server you claim to have: Server Version 1.9.4.4325

Since the app reports this: Plex app version 2.007 PMS version 0.9.8.0 (that version is really old and no longer supported)

Try to press the yellow button on your remote, that brings up the server selection.
    Check if your have the right one.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

After updating to 2.009 I see that the PMS version is now correct in the Samsung TVs About Plex:

Here is a screenshot of my PMS version (I notice it says I'm signed in as my email address and not my username like everywhere else, if this is useful):

Here is what my server list looks like when I manually add my server using the local IP:

Here is what it looks like if I use the "Discover" feature or if I reopen the app:

Thanks

Does this information help? I would love to not have to do this every time I want to watch something.

You are mixing up two ways of connecting, and that doesn't work well.

• The PIN code login will connect the app to your account so it can figure out by itself where your server is.
    • The manual way: You only want to connect to your local server and don't use any other internet stuff.

If you want to use the last option (which I would not recommend) you should also turn off the setting that will overwrite your server settings every time you connect to Plex. (it can be found under preferences)

Both ways are explained in the manual, please read it, it might make things clearer.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

edited October 27

I did look at the manual when you first mentioned that, I just looked at it again. I did sign out and back in with the pin. I get undefined:undefined. For this reason, I remove the undefined server and add it manually. Also, when I use the discover option (which seems to behave as the pin would) it replaces the local server with undefined:undefined again.

Also, are you forgetting that when I am not using the VPN it works perfectly?

If I do not manually add the server while on VPN, I will not be able to view any content. Also, in case you forgot, this is a new problem of only a few weeks.

If you want to have me try to follow specific steps, I will do it and report back. I can video it if you do not believe that I am doing it correctly. Whatever you say. I just want this resolved.

I am also available to communicate via other means if this would be convenient.

Ah right , you used VPN. (sorry, I read at lot of comments)
    I'm not a network expert, and have no experience with VPN, so I'm not sure I can help you with this.

There might be others here that have a similar setup. Guys can you help him ?

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

The strange thing is that it worked fine for years.

I would also like to remind you that my Roku (another TV in the house), my Android phone, and my desktop have no problem accessing media using the PIN method, with or without VPN. This is seemingly a Samsung App issue.

• adplax18adplax18 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a similar setup and am having the same issue. I have VPN with ports forwarded, the difference is that the samsung TV is not on the local network, but I can connect to plex on my phone (indirect). I saw that there are specific issues with the Vizio app because of their platform, are the different security standards imposed my Samsung?

• strider1974strider1974 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

I have exactly the same issue. As noted it only happens when I have the VPN running. I suspect that the app is trying to connect via the wrong IP address i.e. the VPN tunnel adaptor rather than the local IP. If I sent up the connection manually it works until the next time I turn on the TV at which point it reverts back to the error.