If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is the latest Plex Media Player a glorified Web App?

anthonybsdanthonybsd Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited October 11 in Plex Media Player

The latest release of the Plex Media Player seems to be a Universal App. I.e. it's a glorified Web Browser that you can launch in full screen? I.e. forget sophisticated Audio options (i.e. choosing SPDIF) forget framerate sync to screen, forget ability to use Windows HTPC remote. Is there a way to download the old app that had all this functionality?

EDIT: Ahhh. So it appears one of my kids changed out of "Enter TV Full Screen" mode, which converts it into this universal app mode. Very strange.

Answers

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,648Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

No.

So it appears one of my kids changed out of "Enter TV Full Screen" mode, which converts it into this universal app mode.

Yes, that's the desktop app, which still uses the whole PMP infrastructure (including player backend, which supports more codecs than the pure web player etc). Strangely you can't change settings in TV mode yet.

• EricMontgomeryEricMontgomery Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 13

So how do I get back to the Player instead of this full screen app? This is so not useful.

• AchillesAchilles Posts: 2,028Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Click on the TV icon in the upper right hand corner.

• EricMontgomeryEricMontgomery Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 13

Can I download a previous version? I don't like the new one.

edited October 13

Generally not.

What exactly do you not like?

• mike43110mike43110 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@vlang said:

No.

So it appears one of my kids changed out of "Enter TV Full Screen" mode, which converts it into this universal app mode.

Yes, that's the desktop app, which still uses the whole PMP infrastructure (including player backend, which supports more codecs than the pure web player etc). Strangely you can't change settings in TV mode yet.

Could you possibly find out when ANY of the settings available in TV Full Screen are going to be available to us who like to use a mouse (i.e. glorified web app mode/desktop mode).

The TV full screen settings apply to desktop mode too - there's just no UI in desktop mode. Adding this to desktop mode is planned. (No doubt I'd have preferred if we hadn't endlessly delayed this.)