If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How do I STREAM (not transcode) HEVC to my Apple TV from my Plex Media Server?

ffwestffwest Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How do I STREAM (not transcode) HEVC files directly to my Apple TV 4? It has inherent support for HEVC, yet it seems as though the Plex Media Service (on my Synology NAS) insists on transcoding the files. This results in buffering every few minutes (or more frequently with a movie that has a lot of action/motion), along with an occasional message stating my server is not powerful enough to transcode the video and I should simply choose the setting to stream at original quality, even though that option is not even available in the settings. (There is no option in settings to simply stream or stream the original file. I can only choose "maximum" and it still appears to attempt to transcode. There is no option that I can find to direct play or direct stream.

To reiterate... I do not want the video transcoded.) I DO NOT have this problem with my Shield or through the web browser. Only on the Apple TV Plex app.

If this is not possible, why not? HEVC is now supported in iOS and TVOS. Given that I pay for this service (PlexPass), I find this unacceptable.

As an aside, I saw other forums where people talked about coding, updating files, etc. Sorry, but that is not up my alley. I paid for a product and simply expect it to work.

Best Answers

Answers

• Lego BatmanLego Batman Posts: 4Members ✭✭

there is possible a xml update that you could try
    from this link
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/283275/is-hevc-already-in-the-apple-tv-4-profile/p1

• darciliciousdarcilicious Posts: 695Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Lego Batman said:

the direct play/stream options were also removed and its been commented they are coming back. but I wouldn't hold my breath

It’s available in the latest beta version so it should be more widely available soon.

• ffwestffwest Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks, everyone. Thought I was missing something, but apparently not.

• CurunCurun Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

They are working on it. These are all new products, and a new software platform with new API.

There are a lot of platforms for plex to support.