If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to stop Plex from changing album, artist or track info

ferago42ferago42 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Hello all. Plex just finished scanning my MP3 collection. So I was browsing what it scanned and I noticed that some tracks were missing. I have four albums from portuguese singer Lura (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lura_(singer)) in my collection. I have found that I no longer have that artist in my list. However, when looking closer, I noticed that I have an australian band known as Laura. It turns out that Plex renamed Lura to Laura, and even changed one of the Lura's albums.

All my MP3 are perfectly tagged with artist, title, album, and most of them have the album cover and year set. So why Plex is renaming stupidly my tracks? How can I stop Plex from messing with my otherwise perfectly ordered collection?

Note: Plex didn't edit the MP3 tags, so I must assume that Plex is keeping in separate records its information.

Thank you in advance.

Answers

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 461Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Did you name them yourself in the beginning? If yes, just click the lock icon left to the respective information (i.e. artist name) in edit mode of the respective album and the information will not be changed in the future.

• ferago42ferago42 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Yes, I had them tagged with MusicBee, the default player I use. Nothing was missing.

I clicked the edit button for the artist, and changed the name, but immediately, it changed back from Lura to Laura. And in the edit dialog, I can't find any lock icon, I only see a play, shuffle, add to playlist, edit icons. Could you please elaborate on this lock icon?

Thanks again for your time.

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 461Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The icon left of "concrete and gold". If you put in information yourself, the lock is activated and the respective field won't be changed by Plex in the future.
    If you don't want Plex to match your music at all since everything is tagged, you can also disable the respective music scanner agent.

• ferago42ferago42 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Hi there, thanks for your response.

In your image I don't see a lock in the artist name, only in the album or sort album fields. This is how it looks in my browser as well. And even if I click the lock on the album or sort album, when I change the artist name to Lura, when saving it changes it back to Laura.

How can I disable the respective music scanner agent? Will this prevent Plex from discovering new music when I add new files?

Thanks again for your time.