Our forum migration to Discourse will be going on starting late today June 19 to 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post here for more information https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/319354/well-be-moving-the-forums-to-discourse-heres-the-scoop/
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Unable to update

CaburCabur Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Currently I'm running version 1.8.4.4249 and have been trying up to update for several days. In the past I have had updates fail and It would give me an option of "Please update manually". When trying to update to 1.9.4.4325, it fails like before but the manual update simply flashes on the screen and and it returns to "Download updates".

1) Does anyone know where the downloaded update file is kept?
2) Can/Should I manually run the update from said file?
3) is there any reason I shouldn't?

Best Answer

Answers

  • CaburCabur Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @OttoKerner said:
    Just download the most recent update file manually from the DOWNLOADS link above.
    Then quit Plex server using its tray icon and start the downloaded installation file.

    Thanks for the suggestion!!
    Would you happen to know why updating inside plex would fail? :)
    1st world problem, but it would be kinda annoying to have to do this on every update

  • OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,864Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @Cabur said:
    Would you happen to know why updating inside plex would fail? :)
    1st world problem, but it would be kinda annoying to have to do this on every update

    It definitely doesn't happen every update. I seem to remember there was an issue with your current server version which affects updating.

    Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • mrjlturnermrjlturner Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I've seen the same thing happen when attempting to update via the web client, for at least the last 3 updates that have been made available. A fix (or troubleshooting steps to validate & resolve) would be very helpful. I've checked the update logs, but found nothing useful.

  • OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,864Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    Updating per the web app only works

    • if you are sitting in front of the computer where Plex server is installed
    • if you are not running Plex server as a Windows system service

    The workaround was already described above.

    Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • mrjlturnermrjlturner Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 10

    So, I took your answer as a challenge. I have found that your answer is incorrect. I found the problem, and was able to resolve it, AND I was able to perform the update from a remote computer via the WEB client.

    I got into the logs here: \AppData\Plex Media Server\Logs\ directory & looked specifically into the "Plex Media Server.log" file.

    The problem was caused by the "Plex Update Service" being set to run as "Local System" which one of the prior updates must have set, because I know I had this working before.

    The service refused to start when set to run as "Local System". I switched the service to run as a local administrator account on the computer, started the service, and was then able to run the update from a completely different WEB client. Problem resolved.

  • mrjlturnermrjlturner Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @Cabur said:
    Currently I'm running version 1.8.4.4249 and have been trying up to update for several days. In the past I have had updates fail and It would give me an option of "Please update manually". When trying to update to 1.9.4.4325, it fails like before but the manual update simply flashes on the screen and and it returns to "Download updates".

    1) Does anyone know where the downloaded update file is kept?
    2) Can/Should I manually run the update from said file?
    3) is there any reason I shouldn't?

    Cabur, check out my latest post on this thread as it may solve your issues ongoing, as it did mine :)

  • OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,864Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @mrjlturner said:
    The service refused to start when set to run as "Local System". I switched the service to run as a local administrator account on the computer, started the service, and was then able to run the update from a completely different WEB client.

    This is very unusual. Almost all services on Windows run under the 'System' account.
    There must be something on your system that is non-standard.
    Do you have additional anti-virus software installed
    or some non-default system policies in place?

    Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,864Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    Have you ever changed the location of the Plex data folder to somewhere else?

    Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • mrjlturnermrjlturner Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 11

    To answer your questions:

    1. Something non-standard? Nope, aside from moving the "plex folders" to an alternate location.
    2. Additional Antivirus - Nope...just MS Windows Defender, complete w/ an exception for the PMS parent folder
    3. Non-default system policies - Nope all default on Windows 10 Pro, non-domain PC.
    4. Yeppers! My C:\ drive is an SSD... and its fast :)
  • SmokindogSmokindog Posts: 163Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 11

    I've had to manually download and install the past 3 or 4 updates as well. Yes I've tried it on the machine actually running PMS. Yes I've moved the directories. Yes my C: drive is an SSD. Yes the target drive is a local drive. Non domain PC W10 Pro 64 bit.

  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,462Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

    @mrjlturner said:
    1. Something non-standard? Nope, aside from moving the "plex folders" to an alternate location.

    There is an issue with the Updater Service if the location is changed after the initial setup - the updater service continues to use the original path

    Have a look at this registry area
    Computer\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server and see if there is an invalid local app data path

    If it is not this, then would need to find out why it is failing to start when running under SYSTEM - may need to use tools such as SysInternals Process Monitor (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon) to capture the service start sequence and failure and relate what the log entries to what is in the PML

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
  • mrjlturnermrjlturner Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @sa2000 said:

    @mrjlturner said:
    1. Something non-standard? Nope, aside from moving the "plex folders" to an alternate location.

    There is an issue with the Updater Service if the location is changed after the initial setup - the updater service continues to use the original path

    Have a look at this registry area
    Computer\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server and see if there is an invalid local app data path

    If it is not this, then would need to find out why it is failing to start when running under SYSTEM - may need to use tools such as SysInternals Process Monitor (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon) to capture the service start sequence and failure and relate what the log entries to what is in the PML

    Interesting! So, I checked the registry and sure enough it was pointed to the original install path, and not the adjusted path. I stopped PMS and changed the path. Then, I went to services and started the PMS Update Service right up as Local System!

    That may very well have been the fix! Here's my question based on that: Why on earth would PMS install use a path in the Default User profile registry hive for anything relevant to daily operations? Is that the M$ standard location for registry keys that are used at the system level? Just curious...

    Anywho... good call there buddy!

  • SmokindogSmokindog Posts: 163Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    My updates fail and the path in the registry key is correctly pointing to the "new path" where I moved it.......

  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,462Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

    @Smokindog said:
    My updates fail and the path in the registry key is correctly pointing to the "new path" where I moved it.......

    We cannot investigate problems by just talking about them

    Each issue needs derailed investigation using diagnostics and logs

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,462Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

    @mrjlturner said:

    @sa2000 said:

    @mrjlturner said:
    1. Something non-standard? Nope, aside from moving the "plex folders" to an alternate location.

    There is an issue with the Updater Service if the location is changed after the initial setup - the updater service continues to use the original path

    Have a look at this registry area
    Computer\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server and see if there is an invalid local app data path

    If it is not this, then would need to find out why it is failing to start when running under SYSTEM - may need to use tools such as SysInternals Process Monitor (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon) to capture the service start sequence and failure and relate what the log entries to what is in the PML

    Interesting! So, I checked the registry and sure enough it was pointed to the original install path, and not the adjusted path. I stopped PMS and changed the path. Then, I went to services and started the PMS Update Service right up as Local System!

    That may very well have been the fix! Here's my question based on that: Why on earth would PMS install use a path in the Default User profile registry hive for anything relevant to daily operations? Is that the M$ standard location for registry keys that are used at the system level? Just curious...

    Anywho... good call there buddy!

    I believe the .DEFAULT profile is the one related to use of SYSTEM account

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
  • SmokindogSmokindog Posts: 163Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @sa2000 said:

    @Smokindog said:
    My updates fail and the path in the registry key is correctly pointing to the "new path" where I moved it.......

    We cannot investigate problems by just talking about them

    Each issue needs derailed investigation using diagnostics and logs

    I've provided logs in the past on this issue. Again, I could spend a lifetime just generating logs. I don't mind working a problem but not as it begins to consume my entire day.

    I just reviewed this entire thread and forgive me if I'm wrong but I see no logs no other diagnostic information.

    What am I missing in your comment?

  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,462Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited April 12

    @Smokindog said:

    @sa2000 said:

    @Smokindog said:
    My updates fail and the path in the registry key is correctly pointing to the "new path" where I moved it.......

    We cannot investigate problems by just talking about them

    Each issue needs derailed investigation using diagnostics and logs

    I've provided logs in the past on this issue. Again, I could spend a lifetime just generating logs. I don't mind working a problem but not as it begins to consume my entire day.

    I just reviewed this entire thread and forgive me if I'm wrong but I see no logs no other diagnostic information.

    What am I missing in your comment?

    I need a pointer to a forum topic for your issue with the server logs captured after the failed auto update and also zip of the msi install logs which would be in xxxxxxxxxxxxxx\Plex Media Server\Logs\Installer Logs
    Also to look into %Temp%\ for log files with names starting Plex Media Server and dd_vcredist

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
  • mrjlturnermrjlturner Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Well, it looks like there are now other issues to applying the updates via the WEB client now (from attempting to install today's update):

  • SmokindogSmokindog Posts: 163Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Was just unable to update via the GUI. Since the server is shut down as part of the update you can't save the logs. Here are the logs I pulled moments before attempting the install because my guide is incomplete as it's been for weeks.

Sign In or Register to comment.