If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku & Live TV Limitations

Eurisko69Eurisko69 Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Currently, the FAQ lists some limitations of Roku with Live TV. Specifically, I was curious about 3 of them.

◦Live TV viewing cannot currently be shared. Only the Plex Media Server owner account can currently watch live TV.
◦Closed-captioning or alternate audio channels are not currently supported for Live TV.
◦You cannot initiate a recording of what you're currently watching in the client. If you wish to start recording, you'll need to stop live playback and then start recording.

Are these temporary limitations or issues that we are stuck with due to how Roku's work? Mostly I'm curious about the Live TV only being available to the owner. I ask this, as my intent was to cut the cord, however, I have 3 kids and cutting them off of live TV would be a battle I don't want. :) If it's going to be resolved, then I can hold out and wait. If not, I need to see if other devices will have the same limitation to switch over to. I have (6) Roku's in the house, so switching isn't ideal.

Best Answer

Answers

• sGarversGarver Posts: 456Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OPINION: At least by their wording, notice that each limitation says "currently", I would venture to say that they are issues that Plex is trying to workaround/eliminate.
    But as always, Plex does not give out timetables.

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,186Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@Eurisko69 said:
    Currently, the FAQ lists some limitations of Roku with Live TV. Specifically, I was curious about 3 of them.

◦Live TV viewing cannot currently be shared. Only the Plex Media Server owner account can currently watch live TV.
    ◦Closed-captioning or alternate audio channels are not currently supported for Live TV.
    ◦You cannot initiate a recording of what you're currently watching in the client. If you wish to start recording, you'll need to stop live playback and then start recording.

Yes, those are just current limitations. This being the initial release of Live TV, more will come :)

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• leelyndsleelynds Posts: 963Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

:D ... sometimes you have to re-read a sentence.

@kinoCharlino said:
    Yes, those are just current limitations. This being the initial release of Live TV, more will come

I read it as "those are just the current limitations, MORE LIMITATIONS to come"

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,186Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@leelynds said:
    I read it as "those are just the current limitations, MORE LIMITATIONS to come"

hahaha thanks for the laugh! I'm happy to hit on each point individually:

Live TV viewing cannot currently be shared. Only the Plex Media Server owner account can currently watch live TV.

This is across all platforms. We want to enable this functionality and are looking at how to best approach it.

Closed-captioning or alternate audio channels are not currently supported for Live TV.

We have to do this, so expect it in a future release.

You cannot initiate a recording of what you're currently watching in the client. If you wish to start recording, you'll need to stop live playback and then start recording.

We also want to add this functionality and can see it would get used quite a bit for last minute or impromptu recording sessions.

• dj.guillory@outlook.comdj.guillory@outlook.com Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How do I get this function started on my system? Is there something I need to setup on my server? I have the live TV function already, just can’t figure out the Roku piece.

• neebskineebski Posts: 166Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

MyPlex

Supermicro 2URM Intel i7 4771 @ 3.5 GHz - 16GB - 38 TB using UnRAID

LAN - 3x Roku, 3x Android Clients

WAN- ~8 Clients

edited October 13

@dj.guillory@outlook.com said:
    How do I get this function started on my system? Is there something I need to setup on my server? I have the live TV function already, just can’t figure out the Roku piece.

If you have your TV tuner and antenna connected, and have DVR & Live TV setup on your Plex server, then you just need to locate it in the updated Roku app. If you don't have all that server-side and extra hardware setup, check out these support articles for more details. If you're all set there, then just make sure you have the latest version of the Roku app, as shown here. You will need Plex for Roku version 5.0.4.

The Live TV functionality included with this release is:

• Play live TV from supported tuners!
    • Time shift live TV: pause, skip, and seek
    • Browse what's currently airing and filter by Movies, News, Shows, and Sports
    • Shows what's currently airing in player. Just pause or hit down or OK on your remote

Hit this link (as mentioned by @neebski). In the updated Plex app, you'll find Live TV inside the Program Guide. There, the programs currently airing will be shown.

• dj.guillory@outlook.comdj.guillory@outlook.com Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not sure I’m following. I have all of the hardware setup, I can watch live TV on my iOS devices. I have updated my Plex app on Roku but it states that I have version 5 .0 build 1. Not sure how to get version 5.0.4.

@dj.guillory@outlook.com said:
    Not sure I’m following. I have all of the hardware setup, I can watch live TV on my iOS devices. I have updated my Plex app on Roku but it states that I have version 5 .0 build 1. Not sure how to get version 5.0.4.

You need the Plex Pass Preview version of the Roku app. Only it has the Live TV feature at the moment. Follow this link, login with your Roku account, and get the Plex Pass preview version: https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=plexpass

Ok, that makes sense. I requested the channel and it states it could be 24 hours before I get it. Thanks!

• neebskineebski Posts: 166Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Perform a manual update on your Roku. Settings \ System Update

MyPlex

Supermicro 2URM Intel i7 4771 @ 3.5 GHz - 16GB - 38 TB using UnRAID

LAN - 3x Roku, 3x Android Clients

WAN- ~8 Clients

• tlwangerintlwangerin Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 13

Tried both adding the Plex Pass preview version: https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=plexpass
    and manual update. Still only get 5.0.1. After doing the add preview version and then performing manual update, it does do a download, but it is still version 5.0.1.

Must be some kind of staged roll out where some areas are getting it and others, not yet .... :-)

UPDATE: It added another plex channel (Preview) at the bottom of my channel list. Didn't see it at first. was thinking it would just update the current one. So the above worked great !