If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Storage address change results in Plex not playing

Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,365Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As I have stated before I am keeping my Plex server active on my Shield TV for at least the foreseeable future.

Yesterday I revamped my Network to streamline some things and one result was that the network address of my content changed.

I checked afterward and my Shield storage reported the new address and everything seemed to be good but Plex would not play anything on any client including the Shied itself. It did not give an error or even seem to timeout it just gave a continuous spinning wheel and, on my Rokus, reported 13% loaded for at least 4 minutes.

I rebooted the Shield and nothing seemed to change but, after the Plex server restarted, everything returned to normal and all my Plex content played just fine.

I just wanted to report this as some people might run into a similar problem and see that the storage address was reported correctly on the Shield and believe that something else was wrong while a simple reboot of the Shield was all that was needed to repair the problem. I do not know what was actually the problem as the Shield reported that the shared storage address was the new address but a reboot was all that was needed to correct the problem.

I hope this helps a few folks and maybe save some from worry when they make changes that involves changing the address of shared storage.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.