If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

does it really help to add a separate drive for trans-coding?

jim&dianejim&diane Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i have a small but seemly powerful Linux machine with a pass-mark rating of 1549 and im having issues with being able to stream more than 2 or 3 movies at the same time both remote and at home keep getting the popup that my CPU isn't fast enough to stream at this quality so im wondering if having a second drive for trans-coding would help or to just breakdown and find something with a bit more power i have at any given time 3 or 4 users on the server and would really like to know if a second HDD for trans-coding is that much better and what would be a good jumping off place for a pass-mark number thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Bartlomiej BaraniecBartlomiej Baraniec Posts: 1,949Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Adding another drive wont help you in anyway if you CPU can't handle it. Try to avoid transcoding when you are at home.
    Most clients can direct play that would make your CPU life easier. You could also optimize some of your media if you have enough storage. Or you could get more powerful server...

Answers